SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
After Jon kills Dany, he’ll return to the watch and reunite with the dog.

The Watch is over. There's nothing to Watch for any more, and no Wall to defend.

If he decides to abandon the Seven Kingdoms, he'd go join the Wildlings in the far North.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah.

Yeah, I can see that.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, we haven't seen any Night's Watch survivors, other than Jon and Sam.

But surely there are some. Many of them were killed when the Night King overran the Wall. But there were at least two other Night's Watch castles that were garrisoned at that time the Wall was breached at Eastwatch, including Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. The band from Castle Black led by Dolorous Edd ran into Beric's group of Eastwatch survivors in Last Hearth as they retreated towards Winterfell. So that group, at least, made it to Winterfell for the battle. And odds are a few of them survived. Plus an unknown number from the far western garrisoned castle the Shadow Tower, of which there has been no word.

So there should be some other Night's Watch members around somewhere, either at Winterfell or maybe even still at the Shadow Tower.

As I theorized a few pages ago, whoever takes the throne may end up officially disbanding the Night's Watch, pardoning the survivors and restoring their rights to inheritance. That would be a nice capstone for Sam, as he would then take over as Lord Tarly and rule Horn Hill.

Although if Bronn gets his way too, Sam would end up subservient to Bronn once he's granted his reward of Highgarden.

Imagine one of the final scenes being the newly restored Lord Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill having to bend the knee and pledge his banner to Lord Bronn Blackwater of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach and Warden of the South. Sam, struggling down to one knee with an awkward, pained expression, whilst Bronn sits atop a fancy floral throne in Highgarden with a shit-eating grin on his face and a whore on his lap. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
After Jon kills Dany, he’ll return to the watch and reunite with the dog.

The Watch is over. There's nothing to Watch for any more, and no Wall to defend.

If he decides to abandon the Seven Kingdoms, he'd go join the Wildlings in the far North.

Well, Jon does have a thing for Wildling gingers, and Tormund isn't particular about who or what he sleeps with...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget Arya probably/might have Little Finger’s (and others’) face...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure everyone in Westeros knows Littlefinger was executed at Winterfell, which would make it awkward if he were to show up in King’s Landing.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Leaked image from the finale:

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Don’t forget Arya probably/might have Little Finger’s (and others’) face...
Sansa saw a couple of faces in her bag, one was Walder Frey, the other unknown but she'd also have the female face she used to enter the twins.

And then she likely could have a number of random faces from the dead at Winterfell.

Considering Cersi has opened the gates to the Red Keep, she shouldn't have much trouble entering and moving around. The Hound on the other hand, he might have a problem, yet he's on a one way trip so I'm not sure if he cares.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I know they are just CGI, but those damn dragons are my favorite characters. I wish they would stop killing them. If they off Drogon, I'm going to be really pissed. I also hated it when they killed the direwolfs at the Red Wedding.

I think I'll form the CGI Animal Conservation Foundation.

No they are just sad that their big slow cranky dragons aren’t as cool as toothless.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Any theories here as to why he just walked away without a proper pet or anything?

Same reason why they're killing off all the dragons... They already blew most of their CGI budget, and still have 2 episodes to go.

(Kidding, but only just. The show creators actually said that's the main reason why you don't see the dire wolves much in later seasons. Scenes with the wolves are apparently extremely expensive and time-consuming.)

I read the same. It's easier to do CGI dragons than dogs, b/c it's a given that no one has ever seen a live dragon; therefore they don't preconceived expectations as to how they look and move on film.

On the other hand, everyone knows how dogs/wolves/canines look. It's harder to CGI dogs w/o making something about them look a little off. Furthermore, the dog that plays Ghost is based in Canada. Most of GoT is filmed in Ireland. When they have scenes of Ghost interacting w/ humans, they have to film Ghost in Canada, film a human (e.g., Snow/Harrington) in Ireland, then CGI merge the footage together. That's why you don't see Ghost and Jon together in Season 8.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A funny review and commentary:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06...g-is-not-celebrating

Heh. "Bran MacGuffin".

I wonder if Mr. MacGuffin can possess The Mountain like he did Hodor. That would open up some great tactical opportunities for regime change....

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I wonder if Mr. MacGuffin can possess The Mountain like he did Hodor. That would open up some great tactical opportunities for regime change....

Good point.

He could also send flocks of birds or even hawks or eagles to harass the scorpion operators, but that seems unlikely. (Recall a Wildling warged into a bird of some sort and put a hurt on Jon.)

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:

Spoiler alert: Targaryens drink overpriced burned liberal coffee.

Not the first time they messed up...

https://gfycat.com/soliddapperbluegill-sophie-turner

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Any theories here as to why he just walked away without a proper pet or anything?

Same reason why they're killing off all the dragons... They already blew most of their CGI budget, and still have 2 episodes to go.

(Kidding, but only just. The show creators actually said that's the main reason why you don't see the dire wolves much in later seasons. Scenes with the wolves are apparently extremely expensive and time-consuming.)

I read the same. It's easier to do CGI dragons than dogs, b/c it's a given that no one has ever seen a live dragon; therefore they don't preconceived expectations as to how they look and move on film.

On the other hand, everyone knows how dogs/wolves/canines look. It's harder to CGI dogs w/o making something about them look a little off. Furthermore, the dog that plays Ghost is based in Canada. Most of GoT is filmed in Ireland. When they have scenes of Ghost interacting w/ humans, they have to film Ghost in Canada, film a human (e.g., Snow/Harrington) in Ireland, then CGI merge the footage together. That's why you don't see Ghost and Jon together in Season 8.

Fur is also really hard to cgi.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me it's no surprise all the Ghost scenes were pretty much separate from people - ie, nobody got close / touched him.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Come to think of it, we haven't seen any Night's Watch survivors, other than Jon and Sam.

But surely there are some. Many of them were killed when the Night King overran the Wall.
Agreed, but considering how small the watch was (Wildlings had to have them help at Eastwatch), there may have only been a small number at Winterfell.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Remember the line from before the battle of Winterfell, when Jon, Edd, and Sam were standing there. Jon said just the three of them remained. Maybe he meant the group of friends that Jon had formed but I took it to mean the Night's Watch, in general.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Surely not. We saw that there were still a minimum of few dozen Night's Watch members just at Castle Black alone when Jon resigned, before the Wall was breached. Likely more than just those that were seen, as some would have been on duty on the Wall and doing other things.

So I assume he was talking about their group of friends that were all in the same "recruit class" in Season 1.

In the books, when Jon, Edd, and Sam join the Watch, there were estimated to be around 1000 total members. If that's accurate for the show too, even with losses in the fighting against the Wildlings, the wight attack at The First of the First Men, the two mutinies, and the Night King's attack at Eastwatch, that would still presumably leave at least a few hundred Night's Watch members (if not more) spread out between the three manned forts.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely not. We saw that there were still several dozen Night's Watch members just at Castle Black alone when Jon resigned, just before the Wall was breached.

I was thinking at some point they knew the direction the NK was headed, and abandoned all the other castles to meet up at the probable point of attack...?

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There are 50 Night’s Watch members left at Castle Black when Jon resigns to head to Winterfell. The Wildlings and Castle Black corps mostly moved to Eastwatch in season 7. I don’t know how many are at the other castle.