SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Are you fucking kidding me?

Are they trying to drive this series into the ground?

Can't roll my eyes hard enough.

I am beginning to fear the worst. It seems teed up for a predictable ending, but I hope that means they are lulling us into false sense of security.

But yeah - major shipwrecks, and Missandei - a relatively minor character (even though a major babe) is the only casualty?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I thought the dragons would be more durable. Cersei’s men seem to have killing them mastered.

The idea of those ballistas hitting a flying dragon at several hundred yeard seems patently absurd, but leaving that aside . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But yeah - major shipwrecks, and Missandei - a relatively minor character (even though a major babe) is the only casualty?

She was the only one captured, likely because she was the only one who tried to escape in a skiff.

The others stayed on the ships, and either died, or were able to swim or be washed to safety on shore.

It seems like quite a few of the Unsullied (and sailors) died at sea. Per the planning session at Winterfell after the battle, half of the Unsullied died at Winterfell against the Night King, but that would have still left more than the handful that eventually made it to King's Landing. So the others were presumably lost during the sea battle.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Why didnt Danny circle behind the ships and burn them all after they killed the Dragon.

I know it is fiction, but nearly every moment of this show is so calculated, I am having a difficult time getting past this.

Agreed, they all seemed to be empty, and it would take quite a while to reload. Seems like the Iron Fleet could have been burned.

But remember, Yara is out there with another fleet, so they had to save it for her.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

She was the only one captured, likely because she was the only one who tried to escape in a skiff.

The others stayed on the ships, and either died, or were able to swim or be washed to safety on shore.

It seems like quite a few of the Unsullied (and sailors) died at sea. Per the planning session at Winterfell after the battle, half of the Unsullied died at Winterfell against the Night King, but that would have still left more than the handful that eventually made it to King's Landing. So the others were presumably lost during the sea battle.

I was speaking only of named characters. Sure, a bunch of red-shirts died. But in all that carnage, only Missandei came to a bad end among important characters.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I thought it was solid episode. Sure we can gripe about how foolish some of it is, but I think those kinds of things have always been there, but we were so enjoying the ride, we looked past them. It seems like the more interested/invested people get, myself included, the higher our standards become. Also, as much as I like these discussions, they are a double-edged sword, adding both depth and understanding, but also highlighting all the flaws.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the guys on Game of Thrones The Podcast have pointed out this season, it's clear Benioff and Weiss are marching down the path to close the story arcs of each character, and the rest of the details be damned. They signed-up to make a TV show about fantasy now, they're having to write the fantasy as well as make a TV show about it.

- Brienne finally gets laid by Jamie, fulfills her arc. She got knighted, fought and survived the big battle, and gets her cherry pop'd. How long she remains in Winterfell as Sansa's champion remains to be seen.
- Jamie is the King Slayer, he's been reminded of it ever since. He'll go to King's Landing and try to kill Cersei, end of his arc. He may succeed or, the Mountain will cut him in half in a dramatic scene.
- Clegane Bowl, here we go, how fast can The Hound & Arya Roadshow Ride to King's Landing.
- Denarys in a fit of rage, will annihilate a portion of King's Landing, alienate herself from the very people she 'came to save', see parts of her command staff defect (Varys) and likely see Drogon get killed, leaving her with nothing.
- Jon will have all sorts of people begging and working to have him to sit on the Iron Throne despite his refusal and reluctance. Seeing Dany indescribably kill a bunch of people in King's Landing will turn him, and his honest nature will force him to kill Dany.
- Arya will be there to remind Jon of his family back home...and find Ilyn Payne to kill him.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Dany gets more unlikable as time goes by. I get she is pissed now, and you can see the oh shit look on Tyrion's face.

I think she is going to go ape shit, and when its all over she will have her throne, but be alone. Jon will leave her for the north, either to join the FreeFolk or just be Warden of the North. I think Tyrion will also leave her, or be dismissed when he tries to stop her. Varys is a dead man, Gray Worm is going to die. Cleganebowl will happen, Jamie will take Cersei out, and he will also die in the process.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
6 episodes only my ass. It’s really 10 or something. Last week and this week were film length each episode. After th last episode this one was just setup. Let’s get it on and over with.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I thought the dragons would be more durable. Cersei’s men seem to have killing them mastered.

The idea of those ballistas hitting a flying dragon at several hundred yeard seems patently absurd, but leaving that aside . . .

Nothing about the dragon-killing ballistas was believable, beginning with the crank system of drawing the bow; didn’t appear big enough, didn’t appear to include a pawl to hold what was gained, didn’t have enough levers for an adequate crew to crank it back—-and finally, look at the scene of the ballistas arraigned on the parapets of King’s Landing. There wasn’t another bolt in site, anywhere. Obviously though, they were more accurate, more powerful, and quicker to reload than a Royal Navy ship in the 18th century (between 2-3 broadsides in 5 minutes).

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It could go any number of ways, time to sit back and finish it out.

I hope the Hound and Arya get to do some serious damage in Kings Landing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

The two of them are at least as interesting to me as the rest of the characters, at this point. Seems unlikely that Arya would get the kill on Cersei, since she already got the glory of taking out the NK, but she's obviously the most capable of pulling it off, regardless of what happens on the battlefield. I reckon one of them will be killed, and the other will exact revenge. I'm still concerned Qyburn will have a trap set for Arya.

The writers wanted to remind us in an obvious way, Bronn is still out there, showing no signs of loyalty to his old friends, The Lannister Bros, and the scales have tipped more in Cersei's favor now that Dany's down to one dragon against a all those scorpions. I think he'll kill a Lannister, or The Mountain, or die trying.

Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Jamie is going to Kings Landing to kill Cersei but he cannot bring himself to do it. He will sacrifice himself to Arya so that she can have his face. Arya will kill Cersei as the Hound is engaged with the Mountain. The Mountain will kill the Hound and will start a new breed of white walkers.

Arya may very well teach the remaining dragon her invisibility trick thus making the scorpions useless.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still concerned Qyburn will have a trap set for Arya.

I think what Arya may have going for her is most people don't know about her.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

The two of them are at least as interesting to me as the rest of the characters, at this point. Seems unlikely that Arya would get the kill on Cersei, since she already got the glory of taking out the NK, but she's obviously the most capable of pulling it off, regardless of what happens on the battlefield. I reckon one of them will be killed, and the other will exact revenge. I'm still concerned Qyburn will have a trap set for Arya.

The writers wanted to remind us in an obvious way, Bronn is still out there, showing no signs of loyalty to his old friends, The Lannister Bros, and the scales have tipped more in Cersei's favor now that Dany's down to one dragon against a all those scorpions. I think he'll kill a Lannister, or The Mountain, or die trying.

If Bronn turns out to be significant, that will suck and be about the shittiest deus ex machina imagineable. He hasn't been all that important ever.

I hope the writers don't screw the ending up, but I am not feeling good about it. They seem to be plodding toward predictibility, but that could still be a misdirection.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If Bronn turns out to be significant, that will suck and be about the shittiest deus ex machina imagineable. He hasn't been all that important ever.

Regarding Bronn's threat, and Tyrion's buying him off with Highgarden, Bronn didn't even agree to do anything other than not kill them then and there, right?

posted Hide Post
One of the biggest issues with some of the events on Ep4 was there needed to be more time for them to unfold. Time for Sansa to make the decision to tell Tyrion, time for Bronn to travel to Winterfell, time to actually let the Dragons heal, etc, etc.

Of course there is time 'happening' in the margins I assume, but unfortunately it all seems quite rushed.

Truth is Danny should have attacked Kings Landing Episode 1 last season. Surround the city, land 3 dragons on the Red Keep, and WIN.

Likely would have ended the war, united the south (somewhat) and the NK wouldn't have gotten a dragon.

She should have listened.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course there is time 'happening' in the margins I assume, but unfortunately it all seems quite rushed.

That seems to be one of the big gripes about these later seasons. The first seasons proceeded at a certain pace, but the later seasons, especially these last two, are significantly accelerated, in order to wrap everything up in time.

I agree that I'd like a bit more time for certain things to play out. But this is a common issue that shows with long runs end up encountering in their final season(s). Too many loose ends to tie up, but not enough time (or barely enough time, if you go at breakneck speed).

quote:
Regarding Bronn's threat, and Tyrion's buying him off with Highgarden, Bronn didn't even agree to do anything other than not kill them then and there, right?

Right. Nothing else explicitly, other than refraining from killing them. However, if Tyrion and Jamie die, he doesn't get Highgarden. So that doesn't rule out Bronn aiding them in one way or another, in order to ensure he gets what he wants in the end.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A funny review and commentary:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06...g-is-not-celebrating

Rushed is exactly the word. Martin's story generated too many threads to close down neatly in two seasons from the point the books stopped. And the TV people even pared some threads away.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Jaime and Tyrion should have just had Bronn killed before he could get out of Winterfell. Yeah, he could possibly maybe be useful to them later, but he's not The Mountain. He's not some superhero. Eliminate the threat.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post