SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning*
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 *spoiler warning* Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I find it unlikely that the Night King will be killed off this early in the season.

This is my feeling too.

With a zombie dragon to ride, he isn't limited to moving at the pace of his army. I think Bran has been a bit shortsighted.

There's been a theory floated about, that the next show preview didn't show the Night King ergo, he will not be at Winterfell for the battle. Knowing that a majority of forces from Westeros have amassed at Winterfell, he and the ice dragon, will fly down to King's Landing instead, do damage and create a second front with the newly turned wights.

Interesting theory, however it's a bit overthinking given the assumption based solely on the lack of NK's appearance in a trailer. Not to mention, the Walkers and their wights have not shown to split their forces or, conduct deception operations, particularly with larger massed forces.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go with (nearly) everyone dies. Those that don't head south to regroup but to no avail. Eventually all living on this world dies. Night King sits on the Iron Throne.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Winterfell gets wrecked... mass destruction and death of the assembled army.

The humans all fall back to Kings Landing, where Jaime has to kill Cersei and takes command of the Golden Company and her armies. Everyone left alive fights the dead, in the process everything is destroyed and in the end Tryion becomes king of a decimated world

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Something that’s been bothering me for the last couple seasons. Why is everyone in black?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Something that’s been bothering me for the last couple seasons. Why is everyone in black?

Jon and his buddies are in black because they're the Black Watch.

The Unsullied are in black because that's their uniform.

Cersei is in black because she's in mourning for her son, and her father, and her daughter, and her other son.

The various Northeners are in black because it's the North in winter, and it's extra dreary. Plus most of the furry animals available to them are apparently black.

The White Walkers are in black because they're eeeeeeeevil.

Bran is in black because he's not Bran, he's a Raven.

Dany is in black because... everyone else is doing it?

Seriously, though... It's probably a combination of the costumer designers wanting to evoke an extremely bleak look now that Winter Has Come, plus wanting to have the various main characters exude more of a sense of mature, martial leadership. Thus dark, severe, militant-looking costumes for everyone.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No, your individual answers make sense. Well, except for the fact that the King's (Queen's) Guard are all in black. They didn't change to a black uniform for King Robert's death.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
No, your individual answers make sense. Well, except for the fact that the King's (Queen's) Guard are all in black. They didn't change to a black uniform for King Robert's death.

Until Joffrey died, the Kings Guard were dressed in Gold with white capes

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even after Joffrey died, they were dressed in gold and white.

It wasn't until Tommen died and Cersei took the throne that they switched to black.

The Kingsguard's uniform changes with each ruler. You can see in flashbacks that Aerys II's Kingsguard had silver uniforms with Targaryen dragons on them. Robert's Kingsguard had gold uniforms with a three-pointed crown on them. Joffrey's Kingsguard had a similar gold uniforms with a similar three-pointed crown, but with the addition of some swords and antlers. Tommen's Kingsguard had similar uniforms but with the seven-pointed star of the Faith. And now Cersei's Queensguard have black uniforms with the emblem of Cersei's stylized intertwined crown.

So it appears that the King/Queen dictates how their Guards' uniforms will look. Cersei just broke with recent tradition by switching the color to black, and deleting the traditional white cape. Unlike Joffrey and Tommen, who wanted to harken back to their (supposed) father's Kingsguard uniforms with only small personal touches, Cersei is trying to fully divorce herself from Robert's traditions. There's a new sheriff in town, and all that.

Plus, y'know... All the cool kids are wearing black in Westeros these days. Wink

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
So who are we liking to be the Night-King Slayer, assuming he's slain in battle at Winterfell.

Jon is the obvious, traditional Hollywood choice, but I'm leaning towards Arya, perhaps disguised as a wight or sporting the face of a freshly killed villager. She'll at least take out some of the NK's generals.

Theon will be with Bran, who could be the Night King's personal target. Maybe Theon will redeem himself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
So who are we liking to be the Night-King Slayer, assuming he's slain in battle at Winterfell.

Jon is the obvious, traditional Hollywood choice, but I'm leaning towards Arya, perhaps disguised as a wight or sporting the face of a freshly killed villager. She'll at least take out some of the NK's generals.

Theon will be with Bran, who could be the Night King's personal target. Maybe Theon will redeem himself.

I doubt they would give that kill to Theon. He's from a minor house. If the Night King is slain, it would be someone from one of the four major houses.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Maybe Theon gives it all to help those from the house he grew up in and nearly destroyed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I am fully expecting Theon to die in the next episode. His story arc has reached it's conclusion I think, and he goes out trying to save the Starks

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
quote:
The scene with Arya and Gendry was totally unnecessary and out of character.

My 2 cents...career move.
Maise Williams needed a nude scene like everyone else so that she is seen as an adult actress now the this gig is done.
It might be tough to get the career past being Arya Stark, pretty memorable character.
But who knows, I was wrong about Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies.

I watched last night to see what the whole hub hub was about. They really didn't show that much nudity. Partial butt, that's about it. I do hope she lives, everyone else dies, and she inherits the throne.

Watching last night, I thought 10 years for this shit? Really? Then, bam, cliffhanger until next week!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Dany's not wearing black....

She switched from in last season to a new white/gray and red fur thing.

I think she's the only one who didn't move to black, excepting those who already wore black all the time like Jon.

Dany and her squad also changed outfits as soon as the crossed the Narrow Sea. They wore bright eastern colors in Essos and then got new duds in Westeros, except the Unsullied and the Dothraki. They pretty much wear what they've always worn, just warmer.

One of the interviews with Iain Glen (Jorah) said that it was his choice to keep wearing that yellow shirt because he liked it so much. They eventually took it away from him because it was janky after so many seasons of filming. So maybe some wardrobe change was caused by the simple fact that the Essos/Spain costumes were gross.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I am fully expecting Theon to die in the next episode. His story arc has reached it's conclusion I think

I suspect the same for Brienne.

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I think Brienne is going to die also.

Bran said Jaime needs to fight for them so maybe Brienne falls in battle and Jaime holds the flank together.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I am fully expecting Theon to die in the next episode. His story arc has reached it's conclusion I think

I suspect the same for Brienne.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Just remember that this is still Game of Thrones and if you're expecting a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

And a "happy ending" for a lot of these characters is redemption. expecting everyone that needs redemption to get it is unwise, imo.

I'd say there is an even chance Theon pisses himself at the sight of the NK and runs away as stands up to him and saves Bran.

Jamie seems like a better chance to actually be redeemed. Brienne has been a bit of a tragic figure and it wouldn't surprise me to see her fail once again to protect her liege, who I guess is Sansa now. Though I do not think Sansa is going anywhere just yet.

I don't think Jorah's story is done yet. Beric's probably is. Grey Worm is meh to me. Varys hasn't been a necessary character in 2 seasons so unless he knows something nobody else does, he is probably gone.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I think it would be odd to axe Varys in episode 3 when he had no screen time in episode 2 (well, he was in the background of a few scenes). That would just seem unprompted. And I wonder how closely tied his fate is to Melisandre's, who's not shown up yet.

I think the Spider survives another day.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
At the very least, nobody within the castle will be affected in Episode 3. The battle outside the walls will most likely take up the entire episode.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
While I am as pumped as everyone else for the next four episodes, has anyone considered that maybe the next episode will not focus on Winterfell?

As others have suggested, maybe the Night King isn't even at Winterfell? Maybe he is elsewhere? Kings Landing? What are the chances episode three takes us out of Winterfell and completely focuses elsewhere, delaying the battle of Winterfell until a later episode?

My thought is that if they show this epic battle in episode three, and half the people we saw bonding in episode two get killed off, where are they going to go for the final three episodes?

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post