SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Weirdest/Strangest Concert You Saw
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weirdest/Strangest Concert You Saw Login/Join 
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I don't remember, really Wink

+1, But I did have a good time. I think...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Bella Fleck and the Flecktones.

The drummer (I believe he calls himself future man) played a drum solo that was so wild that piece of his drumsticks were breaking off and flying around everywhere.

I dont even know what youd call that music...acid bluegrass maybe.

Future Man - Roy Wilfred Wooten - is the real life brother of the phenomenal bassist in the same band - Victor Wooten, and he made that crazy controller/instrument thing himself. Both - and Bela Fleck himself - are savant level musicians. They're a fun show.

Definitely straddles and bends a few genres. Fleck is like the Hendrix of the Banjo, Victor is one of the most amazing bassists that has ever lived, and Future Man is amazing, too, plus there's the white guy sax player who can play two at once, and so on. Mega talented.

Future Man and his homemade drum controller thinggy:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butthole Surfers at the Gothic in Denver, early 90s. Wild stuff.

Out of everyone here, the guy that saw the Residents is in the lead for strange concerts. The Residents are waaaay out there. Smile

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Don't know about a show being weird, but when my wife saw Jethro Tull in the 70's, she found it odd that Livingstone Taylor was the opening act.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I dunno, been to some awesome shows but what I find tame others may find weird and vice versa. Blue Ouster Cult, great band but I dunno if they're weird. Saw them in the late 90s playing a county fair. Far removed from the peak of their fame obviously.

Rammstein has one of the best stage shows I've seen. From the frontman wearing a 6' fake schlong that sprayed foam on the crowd to pretending to boil and eat the keyboardist alive. They out on a great performance with lots of visuals and fireworks.

Puscifer was odd to say the least. They performed with a wrestling rink and had a bunch of luchadores interacting with band and each other.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The Residents.

Negativland.

Diamanda Galas.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Weirdest, and probably the absolute BEST show I have seen was the TALKING HEADS on their STOP MAKING SENSE tour in 1983.

saw them at Merriweather Post, and Elvis Costello the next night,

excellent shows,

I wish I could have seen Zappa,

interesting would be Dave Brubeck,
played an outdoor gig in town, near a train track

the band changed the rhythm to match the track noises, and there was a thunderstorm off in the distance giving a great light show,

very nice night out as well, weather temp wise, was perfect

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party tour. The show was in Irvine,CA on Halloween. Strange doesn't begin to describe the atmosphere. The band was excellent, the crowd didn't seem to care.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, really. I saw a lot of punk bands in the early 80's. Pretty much anything could happen. We always scoped out a fire exit and hung out near there, for when the cops showed up. Or, sometimes, when actual actual fires happened. Trick was to hide half your beer outside somewhere in a separate cooler so you could make a hasty exit and still have a couple left over for later.

Weirdest "mainstream" concert was probably P.I.L. They sold us tickets to the balcony, but when we went up there, the largest black man I've ever personally seen (he literally couldn't walk through a normal doorway without turning to the side and ducking a little) threw us from the top of the stairs to the bottom. Then he kind of followed us around the show. It was unsettling.

Apparently, some VIP was up there and this VIP told his guys to admit nobody else. The bodyguard guy with the pushy nature had a shoulder rig on, too, which I questioned the legality of since the place sold booze.

The Grateful Dead was a weird show, too, if only for the "odd smells" and the strange Bartertown-like atmosphere that developed in the parking area.

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
Butthole Surfers at the Gothic in Denver, early 90s. Wild stuff.

Out of everyone here, the guy that saw the Residents is in the lead for strange concerts. The Residents are waaaay out there. Smile

I saw that Surfers concert. It was great.

I saw Gwar in the old Velvet Room in Atlanta. Tiny little venue and they draped plastic over the bar and only sold beer out of tubs. I guess they knew the mess from the stage would easily reach the bar with how small it was.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and Jim Rose Circus.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Gorgoroth at Wacken 2008.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:

I have to agree. Never seen them, but a friend did and he loves weird shit, and he thought The Residents were weird.

I saw Snakefinger play, who has worked with and played with the Residents and he wasn't too strange. But he wasn't Bon Jovi either Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Saw a Christian rapper named Christafari who had white boy dreads and flow like Snoop.

You have made an impressive effort at avoiding the strange/weird, citizen of Berkley.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Marylin Manson and Nine Inch Nails. Great show, but damn those people are not normal.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
GWAR.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party tour. The show was in Irvine,CA on Halloween. Strange doesn't begin to describe the atmosphere. The band was excellent, the crowd didn't seem to care.

they toured in RVA back in the early 80's, maybe 82 or so,

I had to work that night and missed the show,,

should have called out,,,

did get to see Black Flag, loose nut tour, and the Dead Kennedy's at that same venue

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I saw Jerry Jeff Walker at Red Rocks one time where he did his whole set drunk as fuck. Which was short cause he was getting booed off the stage.

Like I would remember.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I saw this guy perform named Al. He was pretty weird.

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I had a disturbed audience member stand up, drop his trousers, and pee in the middle of a concert that I was conducting...does that count?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maestro,

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post