SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Phil Spector is now a ghost. December 26, 1939 – January 16, 2021
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phil Spector is now a ghost. December 26, 1939 – January 16, 2021 Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted
https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/17...pector-dead-dies-81/

He brought some good vibes and sounds and some fantastic musicians to the music scene.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
And his wigs made even Dee Snider jealous... Wink

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a good many songs that he was involved in,
people talk about his accomplishments and credit him with a lot of success .

but I don't know what his contributions were.
Did he tune guitars?

work the knobs and dials on the board.

did he make adjustments to the words or musical notes?

how does he factor in?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
how does he factor in?

Perhaps read the TMZ article sigmonkey referenced?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
He started in a band, but similar to Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, being eccentric and not much for crowds and public light, he turned to writing/co-writing and producing.

He "had a sound in his head", and worked with talent and technology to get that sound on tape.

A good producer, who can visualize/hear and bring that from in their head, to a medium that other's can appreciate, is the key to the thing. A good musician can be unheard by the masses, but a good producer has the insight to bring those folks to a place they can be their best.

Sort of like a sculptor, wood worker or similar artisan who can "see" the final product when looking at the proper piece of wood, burl, stone and having the skill to use the tools, innovate or fashion whatever it takes to reveal the best all of those things have to offer.

Spector had that ability.

Unfortunately, sometimes genius has trouble with "staying in the lines".

The same thing that drives them to test, try and do, in the art, applies to things that go beyond the acceptable norms of society.

And Spector did that too.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But take time to remember Lana Clarkson who, but for Spector, would be with us still.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sigmonkey,
So did groups and individuals seek out and hire him to improve their music?

Or did he see some kind of energy or magic in performers and seek them out?

I guess I should do some searching about record producing

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. b.

Yes to both. Read up on the history.
We all enjoy the contributions, I only recognized that, upon pronouncement of his passing.

As for the issue of the late Ms. Clarkson.

Phil was tried, twice and convicted of second degree murder, served and died incarcerated.

Justice served. I see no reason to try him again.

@BigJimSlade

Feel free to start a thread on the life of Ms. Clarkson.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
He was involved in some good music but I wasn’t a fan of his wall of sound. Wish they’d release a version of All Things Must Pass without his wall of sound like the Beatles did with Let It Be Naked.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I appreciate his musical efforts.
RIP.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I loved him in "Easy Rider" Just kidding, fuck that crazy MFing murderer. Stupid fucker almost got away with it.

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJimSlade:
But take time to remember Lana Clarkson who, but for Spector, would be with us still.

Absolutely!!! His contributions to entertain us do not make up for the life he took from this innocent victim.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
In my mind, he represented everything that was wrong in the music business. He OWNED recording artists and treated them that way.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like he was at the right place at just the right time to make a substantial impact on the music world.

The logistics involved of that job would more than likely would weigh heavy on a lot of people.