SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Memory Check for the Older Guys?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memory Check for the Older Guys? Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I recently saw the Project Blue Book show on the History channel. For some reason it stirred a distant memory of being a young kid in front of the tube, possibly even when it may have been B&W but, I seem to remember an early Project Blue Book show way back there. I did a web search on Goofle and Duck Duck Go and to no avail. I know I remember a show called the Invaders but also a Project Blue Book also. Anybody else here remember it? I do accept my short term memory compromised by some injury but my long term has generally been unaffected...so far anyways. Anybody?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. There was no "Project Blue Book". Please, don't make us probe you again.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now for the serious answer. I remember watching it as a kid, but I think it was actually called "Project U.F.O."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_U.F.O.

For some reason I can't get the link to work, but it works if you copy and paste it into you browser address bar. My guess is the periods are confusing things.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was called Project UFO. I remember watching it. Here's more info on it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077065/?ref_=rvi_tt

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Project Blue Book was HQed at WPAFB. As a kid, the rumor was that USAF had a crashed saucer hidden somewhere on the base.
The truth is... Out there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Project UFO seems to be the ticket, thanks.

YooperSigs, it has been rumored that Wright Patterson has a whole network of underground facilities where all kinds of stuff is kept hidden from prying eyes. With that said, we'll probably never know the truth in our lifetime, but I'd agree with you that "The Truth is Out There"

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Project Blue Book, no. The Invaders, yes. This was a mid-1960s TV series, produced by Quinn Martin (of The Fugitive, The F.B.I., The Streets of San Francisco and others fame) and starring Roy Thinnes. In the early 1970s there were reruns in the afternoon, which is how I first saw it. The aliens, instead of showing up in force, were slowly infiltrating society. They looked like - or disguised themselves as - humans, but he learned to spot them by looking for bent pinky fingers. (Seriously.) Anybody getting too close to finding them out - except for Thinnes, who couldn't die because he was the star - would suddenly die of a cerebral hemorrhage. If one of them was killed they would disintegrate and leave no trace. It was really a pretty dumb show.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't know when you were growing up, but back in the 70's or 80's there was some sort of Blue Book show on tv.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I remember the show. Watched it a couple of times as a kid. It was disappointing pseudo-scientific bullshit, that I recognized even as a kid.

Had the premise of a documentary; it wasn't.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I remember the show. Watched it a couple of times as a kid. It was disappointing pseudo-scientific bullshit, that I recognized even as a kid.

Had the premise of a documentary; it wasn't.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that is exactly what the real Project Blue Book was. I've never seen swamp gas or weather baloons, but I can't imagine I would mistake them for flying saucers.

- Benjamin Franklin

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'd guess too that this new Project Blue Book on the History channel will be another narrative on UFO's and will be anyones guess where they will go with it. Although there is currently an abundance of shows on UFO's and Area 51 they're pretty redundant. I'm guessing that life is out there someplace but I don't see any real contact happening in my lifetime. I still find the subject of extraterrestrial's interesting though.

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'd guess too that this new Project Blue Book on the History channel will be another narrative on UFO's and will be anyones guess where they will go with it. Although there is currently an abundance of shows on UFO's and Area 51 they're pretty redundant. I'm guessing that life is out there someplace but I don't see any real contact happening in my lifetime. I still find the subject of extraterrestrial's interesting though.

I watched an episode the other night. It appeared to be completely sensationalized, with a foregone conclusion that there is definitely an alien presence on Earth. I would say it's about as realistic as "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

- Benjamin Franklin

posted Hide Post
I thought it was going to be a single show, a docu-drama based on real people (Dr. Hynek) and real events. Now it appears to be a series, so I assume many liberties will be taken with the facts.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
never watched it

but did watch UFO whenever I found it on TV

https://ufoseries.com/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Project Blue Book, no. The Invaders, yes. This was a mid-1960s TV series, produced by Quinn Martin (of The Fugitive, The F.B.I., The Streets of San Francisco and others fame) and starring Roy Thinnes. In the early 1970s there were reruns in the afternoon, which is how I first saw it. The aliens, instead of showing up in force, were slowly infiltrating society. They looked like - or disguised themselves as - humans, but he learned to spot them by looking for bent pinky fingers. (Seriously.) Anybody getting too close to finding them out - except for Thinnes, who couldn't die because he was the star - would suddenly die of a cerebral hemorrhage. If one of them was killed they would disintegrate and leave no trace. It was really a pretty dumb show.

Yea, I remember this show, actually I and three of my friends named our Junior High band the Invaders. One of the friends father was a popular Commercial Artist who designed our business cards, that was cool. Collectively, we just made a lot of racket with three electric guitars and a set of drums. Looking back I'll bet the neighbors dreaded our practices Big Grin

My guess is that it's highly unlikely that Alien presence is going to go away at least on the big screen anytime soon. And even if Aliens are or were here, being that advanced to even get here by whatever means, there wouldn't be a whole lot we could do to stop them if we tried.

Regards, Will G.

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I've never seen swamp gas or weather baloons, but I can't imagine I would mistake them for flying saucers.

I bet you'd be confused if you saw a reflection of Uranus!

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
The 1970's show Project UFO was also titled Project Blue Book in some countries. I remember watching it as a kid - it was called Project Blue Book where I was watching it (eastern WA state). It may have been on one of the Canadian channels, I don't remember exactly.

From Wikipedia;

Project U.F.O.
Project Blue Book was the inspiration for the 1978–1979 TV show Project U.F.O. (which was known as Project Blue Book in some countries), which was supposedly based on Project Blue Book cases. However, the show frequently went against the actual project conclusions, suggesting on many occasions that some sightings were real extraterrestrials.

Link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3921 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post