SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Legal Ethics and The Godfather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Ethics and The Godfather Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Referencing the ABA's 'Model Rules of Professional Conduct', which ethics rule, if any, does Tom Hagen violate in this scene?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Not quite sure but Tom was not Sal's legal counsel. He is in charge of the Corleone family legal affairs which has client/laweyer privilage. His loyalty and counsel is with Michael and not Sal. Tom knows a crime is about to be commited but does he have the legal ability to report it to the authorities with out violating lawyer/client privilege? If he does report it, does he run a chance of being disbarred because of that violation? Also he would be in the same boat as Sal since he would have sold out the family.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Tom knows a crime is about to be commited but does he have the legal ability to report it to the authorities with out violating lawyer/client privilege?

Just the opposite. Tom is Michael's lawyer and know Michael is going to have Tessio whacked.

An exception to the attorney-client privilege is a situation where the attorney is required to breach his duty of confidentiality to his client in order to prevent death or serious injury.

Rule 1.6(b)(1): A lawyer may reveal information relating to the representation of a client to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary: to prevent reasonably certain death or substantial bodily harm.

I recently took a required continuing legal education class on legal ethics. The fellow teaching the class used movie clips to present the ethical dilemmas for discussion. The Tessio clip was one of the examples. It was the best CLE class I've had. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A lawyer *may* disclose in this situation, but is not required to.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I noticed that in the rule, but the instructor indicated disclosure was required. I'm in Illinois, and so the rule might be different here.

EDIT: I just checked the Illinois rule and it is mandatory.

(c) A lawyer shall reveal information relating to the representation of a client to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to prevent reasonably certain death or substantial bodily harm.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. You're sayin' a mob lawyer should have ethics?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Wait a minute. You're sayin' a mob lawyer should have ethics?

Remember, this is a theoretical question. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
But would a lawyer have to reveal information if doing so would get him wacked?

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yes, as I understand it lawyers actually 'work' for the court and are required to report any potential illegal activity that their client is planning. this is entirely different from anything the client has actually already done.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post