SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Terror on AMC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Terror on AMC Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, the finale is tonight! AMC is calling it a season finale and not series finale. How can that be?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I liked the ending to the series, much better than the ending in the book.

This was one of the best series ever produced.

The Captain lost so much, but in the end, found peace with himself.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
What was with the face chains?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Well... it was a very good series! Spoiler...

I thought for sure Mr Goodsir would be the one to survive. It was sad to see him finish the way he did, but he ended up as the key. I can see where the Captains group failed but I'm not sure about the Lt that led them. In the end he had all the chains on his face. Did he loose it and turn all "Apocalypse Now"? Hickey's plan sure didn't turn out the way he liked!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Well... it was a very good series! Spoiler...

I thought for sure Mr Goodsir would be the one to survive. It was sad to see him finish the way he did, but he ended up as the key. I can see where the Captains group failed but I'm not sure about the Lt that led them. In the end he had all the chains on his face. Did he loose it and turn all "Apocalypse Now"? Hickey's plan sure didn't turn out the way he liked!

Did you notice the human eyes in Tuunbaq? I do beieve Tuunbaq was the old Innuit shaman shot in the beginning of the series.

Actually hated seeing the demise of that creature, and Lady Silence's departure at the end.

The ending scene with the Captain seal hunting stood out.

I think the gold chains was a metaphor on being bound to tradition (British seafaring and that period's social norms).

The Ending and its symbolism:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheTe...xplained_episode_10/

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Did you notice the human eyes in Tuunbaq?

I was so transfixed on the eyelashes I didn't connect them to the whole eye as being human, good catch.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Interesting tidbit about Jared Harris, (Captain Crozier) ,his father is Richard Harris, the actor.

美しい犬

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting tidbit about Jared Harris, (Captain Crozier) ,his father is Richard Harris, the actor.

I can see the resemblance!

https://www.theguardian.com/ne...rdianobituaries.arts

Beth Greene

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I can see the resemblance!

https://www.theguardian.com/ne...rdianobituaries.arts

I guess a correction is in store:
His father WAS Richard Harris, the actor.

美しい犬

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We are flying to Denmark and then Germany this weekend, I picked up a copy of "The Terror" by Dan Simmons to read on the trip.

Beth Greene

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are flying to Denmark and then Germany this weekend, I picked up a copy of "The Terror" by Dan Simmons to read on the trip.

Hope you enjoy it. I read it when it was first published, a lengthy read. I think, you will like the series ending better than the novels ending, I did.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
I never did see the show, but I just watched a very interesting program on PBS about the Franklin expedition.

This link says subscribers only, someone smarter than me will have to post a link to the one hour program:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/...o/arctic-ghost-ship/

Narrative:

https://news.nationalgeographi...p-watson-ice-ghosts/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.adn.com/arts/2019/...tion-in-new-exhibit/

Anchorage Museum explores fate of doomed Franklin expedition in new exhibit

Author: Lauren Ellenbecker
Updated: 1 day ago

Artifacts from an Arctic mystery dating back to 1845 have made their way to the Anchorage Museum.

The exhibition, “Death in the Ice: The Mystery of the Franklin Expedition,” explores the history of Sir John Franklin and his 128-member crew, which disappeared during an attempt to chart the Northwest Passage, an ice-filled puzzle in the Arctic.

“People are drawn to the story of John Franklin because he was a sort of broken hero looking for his last great heroic moment, and it didn’t end well,” said Julie Decker, Anchorage museum executive director and CEO.

Franklin and his crew departed Britain on sturdy and well-provisioned ships -- the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror -- in 1845, determined to discover a Northern trade route to Asia from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean, said Ryan Kenny, Anchorage Museum associate director of exhibitions.

Although expectations for success were high when the ships set out in 1845, by 1848 the expedition hadn’t been heard from in over two years, and the Royal Navy started organizing and funding search efforts. In the course of 30 expeditions, all they found were supplies, documents, some human remains and grave sites.

It wouldn’t be until nearly 170 years later that one of the ships from the Franklin Expedition, the HMS Erebus, was found in 2014 by a Canadian search team near Gjoa Haven, a small settlement above the Arctic Circle. The second ship from the journey, HMS Terror, was found two years later.

A portion of the 200 artifacts displayed in “Death in Ice” are from the actual shipwrecks, including a steering wheel and ship bell.

“As a curator, I can’t think of a cooler thing to happen,” Kenny said.

“Death in the Ice” is organized into eight chronological sections delving into different aspects of the expedition -- including how well crew members prepared for their journey, who they were and what happened when the ships disappeared. Throughout parts of the exhibit, video footage of an Arctic landscape is projected on the walls, accompanied by the sounds of crushing ice.

The exhibition explores the longstanding question of how Franklin and his crew died. Reports of cannibalism surfaced soon after the disappearance, and researchers have posed theories about how lead poisoning and simple unpreparedness for cold, harsh weather may have played a role.

The Inuit talked to people searching for the expedition about what they’d seen of Franklin and his crew in the Arctic, including their observations of cannibalism among the men. Jane Franklin, Franklin’s wife, led the campaign to discredit those stories, along with the Inuit themselves, Kenny said, and their information was disregarded.

But that oral history is backed by physical evidence found in the shipwrecks, Kenny said. Today, Inuit knowledge is a critical source for piecing together what happened to the men on the expedition.

“The answers were always there,” Kenny said. “Being able to provide these indigenous accounts that are supported by other artifacts is huge.”

“Death in the Ice” provides Inuit oral histories in English and Inuktitut, a primary Inuit language in Canada. The exhibition is timely because it coincides with an ongoing archaeological dig in Canada, Decker said.

Anchorage is the fourth and last stop for this international exhibition. After “Death in the Ice” is on display in Anchorage, its artifacts will be returned to its owners, which includes the Canadian Museum of History and the National Maritime Museum.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

“Death in the Ice: The Mystery of the Franklin Expedition” is on display until Sept. 29. Admission is $5 plus the original museum fee. It is free for museum members.

Member-Exclusive: Death in the Ice: This members-only event will feature experts involved in “Death in the Ice,” as well as refreshments and appetizers. Afterward attendees can go on a self-guided tour through the exhibition. Free for members. 6-8 p.m. Thursday.

Archaeology in Alaska: The Neva Shipwreck: Alaska’s former state archaeologist, Dave McMahan, will discuss maritime history and the discovery of the Neva shipwreck in Alaska. The event is free and begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link has several photos and a video of HMS Terror.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...terror-found-frozen/

A doomed 1845 expedition to the Arctic killed 129 men. Now the ship’s artifacts have been found ‘frozen in time.’

By Meagan Flynn August 29 at 6:46 AM

For more than 170 years, the HMS Terror rested beneath the frigid waters of the Canadian Arctic Ocean holding the secrets to an infamously fatal expedition — until a sunny day earlier this month, when a little robot plunged into the sea to try to find them.

On a cable, Canadian and Inuit researchers guided it to the shipwreck and below the deck, eager to see what the remote-controlled underwater vehicle might find. It would mark the first major exploration of the doomed ship since dozens of men abandoned it after it became trapped in ice during a dangerous 1845 mission to chart the Northwest Passage. There were no survivors, and both the Terror and its sister ship, the HMS Erebus, disappeared beneath the icy surface, where they would stay until 2014 and 2016, when each ship was discovered.

Now, the Inuit and Canadian governments announced Wednesday, researchers are a step closer to unraveling the enduring mystery of the disasters: Inside the HMS Terror, the robot-like underwater explorer found a ship so well preserved that its artifacts seemed to be “essentially frozen in time,” Parks Canada said.

“The impression we witnessed when exploring the HMS Terror is of a ship only recently deserted by its crew, seemingly forgotten by the passage of time,” Ryan Harris, a Parks Canada archaeologist who piloted the remote-controlled underwater vehicle, said in a statement.

Inside the ship, glass plates were still stacked neatly on shelves. Wine bottles and jugs encased in silt still stood upright in wooden niches and rifles still hung on the walls, encased in rust. In the ship’s 20 separate rooms, drawers in the dressers and desks were still tightly shut — the most tantalizing discovery in the eyes of the archaeologists.

That’s where they believe they’ll find any surviving journals, logs and maps, possibly illuminating the entire expedition.

Harris said they anticipate the coveted documents could be preserved beneath heaps of protective sediment, fixed in place thanks to the frigid temperatures.

“Those blankets of sediment, together with the cold water and darkness, create a near perfect anaerobic environment that’s ideal for preserving delicate organics such as textiles or paper,” Harris told National Geographic. “There is a very high probability of finding clothing or documents, some of them possibly even still legible. Rolled or folded charts in the captain’s map cupboard, for example, could well have survived.”

Until the Erebus was discovered in 2014 and the Terror two years later, explorers and indigenous people spent generations trying to piece together the catastrophe. The Inuit had passed down a trail of disturbing oral histories about the ailing white men who came ashore like Arctic refugees, succumbing to exposure, starvation and even, possibly, cannibalism. Numerous Western-led expeditions ultimately recovered some crew members’ remains, but never the ships.

For decades, the only record ever found from the expedition was a single succinct note dated April 1848, scrawled in a shaky hand on a scrap of paper. Capt. Francis Crozier left it behind inside a stony cairn on King William Island before all the crew members perished. He said 105 souls had deserted the Terror and Erebus and that 24 were already dead, including the expedition’s previous leader, Sir John Franklin. They abandoned their belongings in the cairn and headed toward a river, and were never heard from again.

“A sad tale was never told in fewer words,” wrote the British explorer who discovered the note in 1859.

The details were left to history. The Intuit knowledge — or Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit, the culture’s oral histories — was perhaps the most complete collection of firsthand accounts to survive over the decades, some of which was recorded in the 1850s and 1860s. And so when Parks Canada set out again in search of the shipwrecks in the late 2000s, Inuit researchers led the way.

In 2014, the Erebus was found in almost the exact spot that Inuit testimony placed it, National Geographic reported. Two years later, an Inuit hunter from a settlement on King William Island led archaeologists to the Terror. It was aptly discovered in Terror Bay, which had been named in memory of the lost ship.

The hunter, Sammy Kogvik, told a remarkable story to lead them there, as The Washington Post previously reported. Several years before finding the ship, he said he and a friend were riding snowmobiles on their way to go fishing when they saw a large wooden pole jutting out of the ice over Terror Bay — a ship mast. Kogvik snapped a picture with it, but lost the camera on his way home. He didn’t go looking for the site again until he boarded a vessel with the Arctic Research Foundation in 2016, assisting in the search. When the crew heard his story, they headed straight for Terror Bay.

“The tall mast could have been sitting meters out of the water for the past 150 years,” the CEO of Arctic Research Foundation, Adrian Schimnowski, told National Geographic in 2016.

As part of a recent agreement, the Inuit and Canadian governments will share ownership of the artifacts. They’ll move forward as partners during future excavations — but it could be a while, given the dives require just the right conditions.

Parks Canada said the archaeological team was fortunate to find “exceptional conditions” earlier this month. The water was calm and clear, ideal for the remote-controlled underwater vehicle, or ROV, and the team’s 3-D mapmaking technology. On Aug. 7, a team of divers guided the ROV to the Terror, now home to colonies of sea anemones and marine life. They explored for seven days, diving into the bitingly cold water for short periods at a time.

Harris said that the only area on the lower deck that was inaccessible to the ROV was the captain’s quarters. Divers peered through the window from outside the ship, shining a flashlight. Inside, they saw an intact desk and an arm chair buried in two feet of sediment. A tripod rested on the shelf, along with a pair of thermometers. Map cabinets were shut tight.

Of all 20 rooms on the ship, Harris said, Crozier’s door was the only one that was closed.

“I’d love to know what’s in there,” he told Nat Geo.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Apparently not too much interest in 2019's "The Terror" built around Japanese-American internment in WWII and a not so terrifying beautiful girl-thing. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Underwater Archaeologists Dive Into Doomed Arctic Ships

In 1845, HMS Erebus and her companion ship, the HMS Terror, set sail from Greenhite in England with the mission of crossing the Atlantic Sea to the Pacific Ocean through the Arctic. But this ill-fated voyage resulted in both ships becoming trapped in sea ice, forcing their crews into a horrific situation: wandering in a snow and ice field searching for help, that just wasn’t there...

Complete article, with several photos and videos:

https://www.ancient-origins.ne...rchaeologist-0013357

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I just re-visited this thread and wish to thank all who posted information about the recent discovery of the two ships.

美しい犬