SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Terror on AMC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Terror on AMC Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Anyone watching this new show? Looks promising after the first episode. It pretty dreadful and I'm digging it from a Naval point of view.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Tried to watch it with the wife, but it was kinda a slow start and she changed it over to some crap show on NBC (she doesn't appreciate character development).

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Watched the 1st episode and have the DVR set to record. So far, so good.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I like what I've seen so far.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I liked it so far. I'll give it another episode or two.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I read the book many years ago, and it was very ...well...suspensefull.

I have enjoyed the 2 epidodes so far, but don't give it up. It gets more squeamish, and developed as winter goes on in the Arctic.

There will be many adversarial faceoffs as hunger, cold and terror develop.

Most all of Ridley Scott's works are good.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Having retired from the Navy, doing shore tours in Great Lakes and having an innate fear of freezing to death, this series coupled with the possible supernatural mystery, I'm hooked!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just watched the first episode. Looks good. I might stick with this one.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Looks great so far.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Read the book awhile back. Except for a few details, the series is in line with the book and so far pretty good. As I recall from the book, some of the middle part got a little tedious so we'll see if they can keep it going.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The Terror begins to get gory and unravel.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The one figure they "buried" with the Eskimo looked like a plesiosaur but the tracks in the ice are something completely different.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will clear things up:

Why hunt for seal, when you could stay dry and get carry out from the ships? Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Maybe this will clear things up...

I dunno, whatever it is seems real big. Then there was the "gift" for Lady Silence if that's her moniker. I have no knowledge of the book but think it'll turn out to be something like "Forbidden Planet". If the show follows conventional wisdom, the biggest monster will be Western white hubris.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is anything supernatural. It will be a large polar bear, combined with the extreme conditions and on going lead poisoning from bad food tins. Here is a classic interview with Sir Ranaulph Fiennes with Top Gear boys for the Polar special (can't embed these videos):

Top Gear Polar Special-Ranulph Fiennes

Top Gear Polar Bear tracks

I think Father Eskimo was a shaman connected to polar bear and bear is out for revenge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It's Alien in the arctic, whats not to like?

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
It's Alien in the arctic, whats not to like?

Well, the accents can be thick and hard to understand. Then there's this Spring which remains too cold and nasty so who needs Arctic hijinks?

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I seldom watch television.

But this series is the only thing I like on TV.

美しい犬

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What's the borehole through the ice with the pot of coals in it for? Fishing?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
More likely keeping track of the depth of the ice.