SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Terror on AMC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Terror on AMC Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
What's the borehole through the ice with the pot of coals in it for? Fishing?

Maybe keeping the borehole unfrozen for water.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Salt water?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check this out. The book was very good, except for the ending.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Yikes, gimme a hint. Bad ending because it's preposterous, PC dreck or just sad?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Salt water?

Well, seems all the water elsewhere is frozen.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Yikes, gimme a hint. Bad ending because it's preposterous, PC dreck or just sad?

Only one person from both ships survives.

美しい犬

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only one person from both ships survives.

Thanks and there you go. That's a whole lot more optimistic than John Carpenter's "The Thing". Still watching and looking forward to it.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

It just got weird. I was expecting more of a concrete ending. Not quite as bad as the finale of Lost. Wink

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Salt water?

Well, seems all the water elsewhere is frozen.
Yeah, well, missing the point. Why would you perform desalinization of salt water when you can just melt snow? Either one requires heating it, although salt water more-so, because you would have to collect steam vapor from it to desalinize it.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Not much traffic on this thread.

I have been watching this series, it keeps getting grimer and grimer. It is the only program I anticipate watching, not many more episodes left.

Tonight , big fiasco happened, a big tragic event (tent fire) that ominiously prcludes the abandonment of the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus.

We saw a close up of the " Terror" too. (Tuunbaq)

Recap of this episode:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04...recap-episode-6.html

"The carnival marks the first time that the entire expedition (what remains of it, anyway) will all be gathered in one place. This is both a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing in that, in his first public appearance since sequestering himself to sweat out his alcoholism, Crozier can address all the men at once, letting them know that they’re officially abandoning the ships. It’s a curse in that, when Stanley ties the exits to the tent, all of them are effectively trapped. Crozier’s announcement is cut short first by the arrival of Lady Silence — who has cut out her own tongue as part of a ritual meant to bind Tuunbaq to her — and then again by Stanley. He’s set fire to the tent and, as his coup de grâce, sets fire to himself. The sight of Stanley’s self-immolation is awful: Tellingly, while the rest of the men panic or try to rush to Stanley’s aid, Collins remains fixed in place, unable to look away."

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
It’s an excellent show with first rate acting. It’s one we really look forward to every week.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifey likes the show, looked an up an interview with the actor who played the doc who set the fire.

Seems he was fatalistic about the lead poisoning / supernatural stuff going on and thought it best to off himself and everyone on both ships?

Anyway, I like it enough to keep watching. The captain choosing to go cold turkey to try to kick the alcoholism was interesting.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Wifey likes the show, looked an up an interview with the actor who played the doc who set the fire.

Seems he was fatalistic about the lead poisoning / supernatural stuff going on and thought it best to off himself and everyone on both ships?

Anyway, I like it enough to keep watching. The captain choosing to go cold turkey to try to kick the alcoholism was interesting.

It was not only lead poisoning, but botulism .
Seems the company preparing the canned food, rushed to prepare the food for the voyage, and did not cook and seal the canned food properly.

Also, the fresh water supply used lead piping, another source of lead poisoning.

Scurvy also was a factor. It was tough times for those explorers. I read the fictional book by Dan Simmons many years ago. To visualize the characters now is great.

In the past 3 years, Canadian Arctic Research teams have located both ships, the Terror and Erebus.

美しい犬

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
This show is really getting good! Sometimes the accents are hard to understand but I almost always watch the episode on the second go around.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Sometimes the accents are hard to understand...

Yes, but I think an equal part of the problem is a somewhat muffled nature to the sound quality. Maybe by design to add to the claustrophobic feeling the situation creates. I'm not going to watch with closed captioning on so yeah, dialog is a problem at times.

posted Hide Post
So reading about the ships, they were apparently technologically state-of-the-art due to propulsion (steam) and contingent of Marines aboard both.

Downside was they were both physically larger and unsuited due to their size, and also draft.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Just caught up on the latest episode. Love it. Only show I look forward to watching right now.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the finale in a few days. It’s gotten better and better with every episode.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
One more episode. One of the best series I've seen! It's not just about the monster out there, but about the monster within!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I hate seeing it end, but will be glad to see Cornelius Hickey ending.

This has been a great series, the bleak grimness of being marooned, starving, and treachery in a forlorn place, with a supernatural creature after you, with superb acting and screenplay is simply one of the best screen airings I have ever seen.

The transformation from healthy seamen to starving cannibals was excecuted very well in the plot and series.

美しい犬