SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    SPACECOM mission, two videos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPACECOM mission, two videos Login/Join 
posted
Paging Hound Dog!!

First video has scenes from Buckley and Schriever AFBs, second goes into Cheyenne Mountain.

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos...-extends-into-space/

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos...e-us-in-outer-space/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Cheyenne Mountain is an amazing place. I haven't been inside there since 1996 (I trained in there for two weeks), and I would LOVE to take a tour of the place now.

The video won't play for me, for some reason. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Ok, worked that time.

They did get some facts wrong. They said GPS was created around the time of the first Gulf War for 'communications.' It was developed in the 80s (only got real attention during Desert Storm), and it never was intended for comms.

Space people have been talking for years about a US Space Force. I think this would be the stupidest thing possible. Space is so small (personnel-wise) that they would eat up too much costs in admin support. It's fine as a sub-branch of the USAF. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
They did get some facts wrong. They said GPS was created around the time of the first Gulf War for 'communications.' It was developed in the 80s (only got real attention during Desert Storm), and it never was intended for comms.

Yeah, I caught that as well. Well, they're newsies, not nerds. Overall, good pieces.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post