SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix: Love, Death, and Robots
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix: Love, Death, and Robots Login/Join 
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted
New cgi sci-fi anthology series. I’ve made it through three episodes so far and have to say I am fairly impressed with both the animation and the stories. So far it seems like an updated version of Ray Bradbury’s The Illustrated Man.

Fore warning: two of the first three stories are extremely adult oriented and not for young children.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I binged it this weekend, and yeah, it was pretty good. Definitely not for kids.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's an adult-oriented sci-fi animation anthology. Basically a 2019 version of "Heavy Metal".

And yes, just like Heavy Metal, it's most decidedly NSFW and Not For Children. Many of the stories have graphic violence and language. Several have graphic nudity and sex.

I watched it this weekend. Like all anthologies, the stories were hit or miss. A few were excellent, a few were terrible, with most being decent.

I'd like to see a couple of the stories fleshed out even further. Like the Marines in Afghanistan, or the WW2 Soviets.

I liked the Steampunk Hong Kong setting, too.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's an adult-oriented sci-fi animation anthology. Basically a 2019 version of "Heavy Metal".

And yes, just like Heavy Metal
, it's most decidedly NSFW and Not For Children. Many of the stories have graphic violence and language. Several have graphic nudity and sex.

I watched it this weekend. Like all anthologies, the stories were hit or miss. A few were excellent, a few were terrible, with most being decent.

I'd like to see a couple of the stories fleshed out even further. Like the Marines in Afghanistan, or the WW2 Soviets.

I liked the Steampunk Hong Kong setting, too.

That's enough to convince me to check it out.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
On epidode 11 as I type this.
Can't find much to complain about yet. The detail is amazing to me on several episodes.
I know animation has been this good for a while but it is still mind blowing at times.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just started. The Heavy Metal “vibe” is there without the music tie in.

The three robots made me chuckle quite a bit. The first one has a nice twist.

So far so good.

As an aside the B17 segment in Heavy Metal gives me the heebie jeebies to this day. It’s one of my favorite animated shorts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, the Heavy Metal memories brought up from my subscriptions in the early 90's are mighty strong.

If anyone is hesitant due to the possible (likely in my opinion) bad taste left from the short lived Metal Hurlant TV series - don't be. I wanted to like that show, but it was a tough slog and I was glad when it ended.

This isn't that show in the same way that Learjets aren't Spads.

No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
This must be a guy thing. I'm still pissed at my husband for having me sit through the first episode. "Give it a chance!" Yeah, well, it was horrific. Big Grin

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You might get a chuckle out of the robot one and the Farmer one was really good(suits).

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
This must be a guy thing. I'm still pissed at my husband for having me sit through the first episode. "Give it a chance!" Yeah, well, it was horrific. Big Grin

When I mentioned it my wife last night her response was "what are you trying to do, MAKE me go to bed?" It was 6pm at the time.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

They really are all over the board. Try Three Robots or the Yogurt episodes. Not all are sex and graphic violence, or by the same writers/directors or in the same visual style. The stories, at least all the ones I've seen so for, are adapted from SciFi short stories and very different from one to the other. But, just like those fucking orange cream chocolates masquerading as nice, decent chocolate truffles in a See's box, not all are to everyone's taste and can be a rude, unwanted surprise.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I watched them all over 2-3 days. I have to say that for the most part I found myself grinning at the end of them.

I also said WTF a lot Eek

The women are very perky Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
ep 1 was good.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
the first episode

quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
On epidode 11

quote:
Originally posted by f2:
ep 1 was good.

FYI, Netflix randomizes the order of the episodes in the anthology for different viewers. Netflix has confirmed that there are at least four different episode orders assigned to various viewers, as part of a test by Netflix to gather data to help determine the best way to keep viewers engaged in watching anthologies.

So when discussing the episodes, it'd be helpful to use descriptors other than stuff like "the first episode", since my "first" and your "first" may not be the same episode.

Instead, use the title of the episode, or at least something more descriptive like "the one with the Marines".

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I did not know that. Interesting.

My first episode was the one with the fighting monsters controlled by their creators/big dude and woman with the scars. (Title eludes me)

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
FYI, Netflix randomizes the order of the episodes in the anthology for different viewers. Netflix has confirmed that there are at least four different episode orders assigned to various viewers, as part of a test by Netflix to gather data to help determine the best way to keep viewers engaged in watching anthologies.
All 18 match this order of episodes on mine. i.e.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the party but am currently going through the series. Since nobody has posted the trailer:

https://youtu.be/wUFwunMKa4E

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Volume 2 is available now.

https://youtu.be/Gj2iCJkp6Ko

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Netflix just got me back! Big Grin

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Season 2 is good stuff. Anyone know if there will be more episodes than the 8 already released?