SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cover songs that surpassed the original for you
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cover songs that surpassed the original for you Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
What songs performed by an earlier band were covered and improved upon? I know it will be highly subjective depending on a lot of factors, so remember...this will likely include a lot of personal bias.

Off the top of my head, I like Van Halen’s cover Of “You Really Got Me” originally performed by the Kinks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies. Yeah, Lou Reed was excellent, but the Junkies just laid a "smooth" all over Sweet Jane.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Fa9nN3G2CSg

Secondly, Can't get no satisfaction by Devo. Hard to beat Mick and the boys, and Devo does not do it, but their take is full on '80's New Wave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: craigcpa,

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Disturbed Sound of Silence. It is darker and more raw soul.

Yes, I do like the original Simon and Garfunkel version.....it is just the Disturbed version resonates in my soul.

I guess it is kind of like the way Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" appeals to people. He brought 70 years of hard life, mistakes, regrets and pain to the song.

Its not really a cover but fantastically done:

You are watching Rock Legends cover the most famous Song by Rock Gods in front of said Rock Gods..........and they did a pretty good job. Big Grin

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt”.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE

Pretty Woman - Van Halen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQRDI7mTyw

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Also, not a huge Marilyn Manson fan, but his version of “Sweet Dreams” blows the Eurythmics away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" was eclipsed by Uncle Kracker's version

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it's pretty much sacrilege for someone to attempt to cover an original classic. Usually the group covering the original skimps, leaving stuff out and just doing a butcher job. I heard Guns 'n Roses do a remake of "Knockin' on Heavens Door" and thought, "That is just not right. That song belongs to Dylan".

Having said that, there's a band that can cover Chicago as good or (dare I say) even better than Chicago...Leonid & Friends. I'd say they nail it and don't skimp on any part of their covers, including instrumentation and brass. Don't think these guys cheat with "auto-tune", either. Couple of examples:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Two come to mind for me.

Hendrix's version of Dylan's 'All Along the Watchtower'.

Lucius's version of the Kinks 'Strangers'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies. Yeah, Lou Reed was excellent, but the Junkies just laid a "smooth" all over Sweet Jane.

+1 The Cowboy Junkies also do a great version of U2's 'One'. I wouldn't say it surpasses the original, but I probably listen to the Cowboy Junkies version more often because Bono's voice wears on me, while Margo Timmins never does.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hendrix's Watchtower is awesome and better, but almost a different song.

Dwight Yoakum's I Want You To Want Me is very good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think I like Derek and the Dominos’ version of “Little Wing” better than Hendrix’s (blasphemous I suppose);

Elmore James’ version of “Dust My Broom” better than Robert Johnson’s;

Both Samantha Fish and Tab Benoit’s version of “I Put a Spell on You” better than Screamin’ Jay Hawkins;

Eric Clapton and Eva Cassidy’s versions of “ Somewhere Over the Rainbow” better than Judy Garlands

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LeeAnn Rimes did Patsy Cline right when she covered Blue.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hurt by Cash is always my first though when this thread pops up from time to time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
No expectation by The Dirt Bombs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WuyzHnY31gc

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
LeeAnn Rimes did Patsy Cline right when she covered Blue.

I agree with this 100%.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Having said that, there's a band that can cover Chicago as good or (dare I say) even better than Chicago...Leonid & Friends. I'd say they nail it and don't skimp on any part of their covers, including instrumentation and brass. Don't think these guys cheat with "auto-tune", either.

Wow. These guys are killer. The guitar player rivals anything Terry Kath did - even if Terry was the original.

Thanks for sharing.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Most of the ones that immediately come to mind have already been mentioned.

Disturbed's "Sound of Silence" was the first one that popped into my head seeing the thread title. David Draiman's talent and range is amazing. Gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.

Cash's "Hurt" and Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" were on my list as well.

While I wouldn't say it surpasses it, but Social Distortion's version of "Ring of Fire" is pretty awesome.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And yet no mention of Blinded by the Light.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would say at least equal but ..... Proud Mary:

Original:

Cover:

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post