New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midsommar Login/Join 
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted
Whoever taught the Swedes to walk upright made a horrible mistake.

We must nuke Sweden immediately....it's the only way to be sure.

creepy as hell

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I've watched nine 2019 movies so far and Midsommer is #1. Florence Pugh, excellent in the 1984 BBC miniseries The Little Drummer Girl directed by Park Chan-Wook. And director Ari Aster also made did last years Hereditary. For me, it's Rosemary's Baby The Exorcist good.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vnghdsjmd0

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Whoever taught the Swedes to walk upright made a horrible mistake.

We must nuke Sweden immediately....it's the only way to be sure.

creepy as hell

umm, ahem Cool

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
It is hella good, but still....creepy as hell

quote:
umm, ahem

as long as you forswear any pagan rituals and submit to semi-annual inspections, you can live.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I thought Midsommar was okay. Pretty good performances. I would've liked better use of Will Poulter, who kicked ass (literally and figuratively) in Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit a couple of years ago. I liked a lot of the quiet ominous non-shaky cam cinematography. It went on way too long. Ari Aster really milks the hell out of "these pagan folk customs and rituals are so strange and ominous to our western sensibilities" situations. I understood after 10 minutes - 2+ hours of it was a little much.

Personally, I'll stick with The Wicker Man. (That's '70s Edward Woodward / Christopher Lee Wicker Man, although maybe Midsommar gave me a slightly greater appreciation for Nic Cage's "Not the bees! Not the bees!" Wicker Man... Razz )

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it, but not hugely. Like 2.5-stars out of 4. And that's because I wanted to like it. Went on too long and some great build-ups that went...fizzle. Over and over. Still, parts were very interesting and well-done.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post