SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone watch "The Untouchables" on AMC tonight? ME and the Cast.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone watch "The Untouchables" on AMC tonight? ME and the Cast. Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
"The Constable" certainly works for me.

FN in MT

The only celebrity ordained CUT on SigForum!

The only other CUT I could suggest that would be remotely appropriate with your history with the Montana Hoghway Patrol would be, "3-7-77".

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Frank, you do the great state of Montana proud.

quote:

Thank You Para...and especially appreciate the CUT. I see it has already be loaded into the SIG Forum software. Quite an Honor.

Some of the rest of the Elmer Keith story..

I had written Mr. Keith a few letters regarding loading for a .50-70 Springfield trapdoor I had and it turned into a several letter...back and forth exchange.

Eventually I moved to Montana and I had mentioned it to him in another letter...So he invited me out to his house to see his trophies, and have a few of his books autographed.

We made a date and set a time. My wife and I arrived a few minutes early and met Mrs. keith, she mentioned that Elmer was watching one of his favorite shows on TV and it was almost over... "The Incredible Hulk". I really found THAT amusing.

Keith greeted me and the visit began. He literally had loaded guns...ALL OVER the house! There was nary a corner in a room that didn't hold a rifle or shotgun .

We talked about Helena, he had grown up nearby and knew a lot of the history of old Helena as he had lIVED much of it. I was a cop on the Helena PD so we talked about past Sheriffs, shootouts back in the old days, etc.

He mentioned shooting an elk west of the Capital building as a kid. He had been delivering firewood to the Capital building and had spied the bull up on the hills west of the Capital grounds. Forget the rest of the details, but where he killed that elk was by then...all houses.

We ended up out in the cabin where he did his writing. The wall sppace was FULL of his big game trophies from all over the owrld as well as photographs and other memorabilia. There were a pair of absolutely AMAZING bull elk that I can recall to this day. And a 110+ pound set of elephant tuks in one corner and another LARGER set on a wall.

We got talking about the African trophies and what rifles he had used. that lead to a trip inside, and I helped him pull a plywood crate out from under a bed in a bedroom. he opened it up and it contained EIGHT british double rifles. Two layers, deep, four to a layer.

TODAY that box of working grade doubles would be worth a small fortune. He showed me all of them. They ranged form a pair of black powder era .500's to his beloved .500 Boswell that he had used on game several times.

Also handled a "towards the TOP of the grade chart" Westley Richards in .470 Nitro. Probably the cleanest and least used of them all. Beautiful wood and tasteful enfraving.

We spent time looking at handguns, and I got to handle his daily carry 4" S&W revolver as well as a few older Colt SAA's he had on his desk. ALL of the SAA's were Ivory griped with the steershead design.

It was a hell of a tour. SO happy I had my wife take a few pictures. I need to scan the rest of them and post them sometime.

Coolest part though was maybe six months later when I attended the Spring , Kalispell MT Gun show. Back then it was a tremendous show. Bringing lots of custom guns from all over the west, gunwriters and noted builders from all over the Country. Mr. Keith often attended.

I was at the show and noticed Mr. Keith with a crowd of people around him. Signing copies of his "Hell I was There" book, but mostly visiting. He see's me...smiles and walks through the crowd right to me. Sticks his hand out and says; "Forgive me ...I forgot your first name, but you're that cop from Helena".

I don't think I had EVER in my life had that feeling of "You HAVE arrived" that I felt at that moment. We chatted awhile, asked me about my wife, etc. Quite a moment for a young guy. Especially a guy who grew up reading "Gun Notes" in Guns and Ammo magazine and considered Keith near God like.

Gotta say...I really felt he was the real deal. The naysayers now, most of them youngsters...occasionally bring up the 600 yd mule deer shot and pick it apart. As well as a few of his other exploits. I have to say...If Mr. Keith stated he did it...He DID. I don't think he shot or hunted with his typewriter like other writes of the time did.

Any of you out there who have not read "Hell I Was There" by Elmer Keith really should. Quite an adventure.

Thank You all for the kind words. I'm happy you are ll enjoying the photos. I was a lucky guy to be in the right place, at the right time.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
What an awesome story, Constable. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think that's where Elmer took all his photos. I know two other people with photos with him in front of it. Cool

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Awesome movie and awesome pic! I am really jealous. Untouchables is one of my top 10 movies and one that I always stop to watch when it's on.

And very cool story of Mr. Keith, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
How cool is that?

Every time I see I see a picture of old Elmer it makes me want to get out and re-read my copy of Hell I Was There.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
"The Constable" certainly works for me.

FN in MT

The only celebrity ordained CUT on SigForum!

The only other CUT I could suggest that would be remotely appropriate with your history with the Montana Hoghway Patrol would be, "3-7-77".

My only offer would have been "The Mustache"

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
A lot of "Road to Perdition" was filmed in Illinois. My home county at that time was the location for the "country diner" scene. During a break in filming Jude Law walked up to a local Sheriff's department Deputy working the location and started making small talk. The deputy didn't know who Law was and thought that Law was just an extra in the film while talking to him. When Law was called for his scene Law said to the deputy "Please don't take this personal". The deputy couldn't figure out what Law meant until they called "Action" and Law's character shot to death a uniformed police officer.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
This is absolutely fantastic. Great stories.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Very cool story about Elmer Keith!

I was born and raised in Salmon, Idaho, and every time I mention that I'm from Salmon (at least in the right company) his name comes up. Truly wish I could have met the man myself. Thank you for sharing the story and the pictures!!

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wheelman668
posted Hide Post
That is so awesome. Both the movie pic and the fact that you got to meet The Legend in person.

"In the end I made the choice and will not die ashamed"-FFDP

certified Glock armorer

Posts: 3096 | Location: ...the wrong side of heaven, and the righteous side of hell. | Registered: July 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wheelman668:
That is so awesome. Both the movie pic and the fact that you got to meet The Legend in person.

Definitely.

And kudos sir on the truly epic 'stache.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great stories and fine pictures.
But its driving me nuts trying to figure out how I know you . I swear we've met.

Who do people say you look like ? on a regular basis.

A young David Crosby perhaps?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Great stories and fine pictures.
But its driving me nuts trying to figure out how I know you . I swear we've met.

Who do people say you look like ? on a regular basis.

A young David Crosby perhaps?

Back before I shaved my noggin...many people thought I looked liike the older brother on the old "Simon and Simon" TV show...Gerald Mc Raney (SP).

But have to say...I DO resemble a young G. Gordon Liddy too. Many people mention that since I started shaving my head.

BTW...have a photo of me and the "G Man" as well. Man...I DO get around.

Bendable...ever visit Montana?

FN in MT

Added on 9/30 Me and the G man!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good movie but like most Kevin Costner movies,not much real History in it.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been through montana four times, and to yellowstone four times.

did you ever back country ranger in yellowstone?
for the park service.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I have been through montana four times, and to yellowstone four times.

did you ever back country ranger in yellowstone?
for the park service.

No...worked for the Highway Patrol for a bunch of years. Was in the MT Army Guard , an Aviation Unit out of Helena. Did visit the Parks with the Guard when we had the fires.

You must have met my unknown brother or doppleganger look alike?

posted Hide Post
Incredible stories! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on a super CUT!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. ~Brian O’ Driscoll

Posts: 1453 | Location: Back to the Island in MS | Registered: May 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you never squashed watermelons with a giant mallet?

http://www.timtoon.com/wordpre...007/07/gallagher.jpg

Wink

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bendable,

Now THAT just hurt! I can take the G Man, I can even understand the "Simon and Simon" guy...But Gallagher!! Ouch. OUCH.

FN in MT