SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!! Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Starts this Sunday night (May 21) on Showtime.

(season 1 & 2 spoilers)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Went to the Tilted Kilt and saw new Twin Peaks there. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I'm excited. Just got a Showtime subscription/trial. It's going to be weird as hell seeing this show on again!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, if we know who killed Laura Palmer, what's the series about? Is it one of those silly "reboot" things, where Hollywood takes the story concept and rearranges elements to squeeze more money out of an old series or movie?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Nope. It's David Lynch and Marc Frost back together again with a lot of the old actors returning after 25 years like Laura Palmer foretold.

That and they really need to answer this after all these years:

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Probably some more murders, and figuring out what is up with that mysterious black lodge! Not to mention BOB. A lot of coffee, trout, pie, waitresses, and trees. Probably some owls involved.

--------------------

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched all of season two since it aired. According to wikipedia, at the end of the series, Bob is loose as a doppelganger of Cooper, or perhaps is inhabiting Cooper.

The murder of Luara Palmer was solved, so to speak, but the killer certainly not brought to justice, nor driven from Twin Peaks. I wonder if Lynch has it in him for there to be justice, a relative happy ending, to this story. That doesn't seem to be his style.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
damn Showtime app only streams in stereo, I'm not sure David Lynch would approve of this!!

--------------------

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm gonna watch it.

Have some pie!!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm through the first two they showed on Showtime and the two on the Showtime app, and without any spoilers, you can forget about the standard 5 act episode. This really is edited together like 1 long movie. The pacing is very much like like Lost Highway or Mulholland Dr.

For me, it's good and bad. It introduced a lot of new plot points and answered enough of the cliffhanger to keep me going. I'm probably going to be listening to a lot more of the Cromatics, and I absolutely cannot stand Andy, Lucy, and their son...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Oh dear got sucked into Twin Peaks again.
Well the first 46 mins were interesting to say the least!
Roll Eyes

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I only made it through the first hour. I'm not even sure what to think yet, had too many distractions. I'm not disappointed yet, but It's nothing like I expected so far Red Face

I just pray and pray that that wasn't the last episode I see Madeline Zima in...

--------------------

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
You won't like part 2 then... Smile Or maybe toy will.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I like it so far, but then I'm a Lynch fan in general. It seems more completely Lynchesque than the original show.

I love the aesthetics of his sets, and how he uses silence and seemingly nothing happening but someone sitting there blinking, to create an atmosphere of insanity. The direct-from-the-front shot of the college kid sitting alone on the sofa observing the portal the Black Lodge was an image worthy of framing, IMO.

I'm glad the show expanded beyond the town of TP, and that there will be new characters in new places, in addition to many of the old familiars. Hopefully it will stay focused on the main storyline for the most part, or at least have clear tie-ins to it from the other storylines.

Did anyone else recognize the uniformed LEO Hank, the one who with his partner went into the apartment where the rotting corpse was, is ex-con Hank from the series?

Certainly didn't expect to see him as a LEO. (EDIT: it was not the same actor/character. Hank was the maintenance man in the new show. One of the cops just kind of looks like the character Hank from the original series.)

On another note, Madchen Amick is still very pretty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I had no idea at all what Twin Peaks was about. I subscribe to Showtime so I figured I will give it a look...

There have only been a few times I have blurted out " What the f@%k! " while watching something on tv. Well, this show definitly set a new world record for doing that. What I watched last night was NOTHING like I expected. From the promos I expected an FBI agent trying to solve a murder case in a sleepy mountain town. What I saw was... I don't know what the heck I saw. But I will be watching it again.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
I have to admit, I had no idea at all what Twin Peaks was about. I subscribe to Showtime so I figured I will give it a look...

There have only been a few times I have blurted out " What the f@%k! " while watching something on tv. Well, this show definitly set a new world record for doing that. What I watched last night was NOTHING like I expected. From the promos I expected an FBI agent trying to solve a murder case in a sleepy mountain town. What I saw was... I don't know what the heck I saw. But I will be watching it again.

The show is written such that if you have not watched the original series, you'll be even more lost. There's no explanation whatsoever of what's going on. It's expected you'll know many things about the characters and the TP universe going in.

I highly suggest you watch the original series first, especially since you liked what you saw of the new show. Stop now on the new show, and enjoy the original. The new one will make much more sense, relatively speaking, after you're caught up. You may find you want to fast forward through some of the storylines, especially after the primary murder is solved, and you could skip roughly the middle of season 2, if you wanted.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's on the DVR. But I baked cherry pie this week.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Rusbro, Was the original series filmed in the same "style". Or was this done so the original fans to catch up. The whole experience was quite amazing. I was especially entranced by way the dead spoke to Cooper in the red room. It raised the hair on my arms.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
Rusbro, Was the original series filmed in the same "style". Or was this done so the original fans to catch up. The whole experience was quite amazing. I was especially entranced by way the dead spoke to Cooper in the red room. It raised the hair on my arms.

The style in the new as well as the old TP are both clearly Lynch. In the new one the insanity/unease is almost constant, whereas in the old one it wasn't as constant, but certainly there. In the first two hours of the new TP, it's pretty much full-throttle Lynch, all the time, because he can get away with it on Showtime, apparently.

In the first two seasons, the surreal/otherworldly stuff was very much in play, and there were plenty of skin-crawling moments and wtf scenes that still hold up today. It had a fair amount of quirky Lynch-style comic relief, at times. Some of the characters and storylines wore thin IMO, especially after the murder was solved, but there is much to be enjoyed. Lynch's set design, sound, music, directing, etc. are often very unique and create an experience you won't find elsewhere. He also has a great knack for picking incredibly attractive women, and creating disturbingly quirky characters. You'll see a lot of the same elements and themes in his other works.

Edit to add: If you watch the new series before watching the old, you'll diminish the experience of the new show, and rob yourself of the full experience of the old one. There's a limited amount of this stuff available, so IMO, get the most out of each offering.

If you want more of the pure insanity, watch Lynch's Eraserhead. Also, Mulholland Drive is great, and is very much in the style of the new TP. His movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, was panned, and I didn't like it the first time, but I like it now. It should be watched sometime after completing TP seasons 1 & 2, IMO.

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize this was going to be on last night until I was flipping channels a few minutes before it started. There went my plans for the evening and the next however many Sunday nights.

I looked it up on IMDB and found that a lot of the characters from the original will be back (including a number last night), and a lot of other people who have worked with David Lynch on past productions will have at least bit parts.

In other news, I had pie on Saturday night.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post