SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!! Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Was that an ice pick? It looked like a large awl for sail making and the like.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Looked like an ice pick to me. At least that's what I took it as.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I found this to be very informative, especially regarding the close relationship of the new series to the 1992 prequel Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

Twin Peaks: 20 Easter Eggs, References, and Callbacks You Might Have Missed

I have to say that despite the maddeningly slow start to the new series, I am now intrigued to see where this goes.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I was rather impressed. I do like to think of myself as a Twin Peaks Expect, but even I missed a few things.

I knew about the third Renoult brother from the cast list and was rather happy to see him. We also got our first glimpse with head drug dealer.

Never put together Phoebe Augustine being the mouthless lady in the shack or falling in space.

Got the garmonbozia bits between Cooper and Mr C. (That's my new name for Cooperganger). Also remembered the ring that implies murder for who wears it.

The others aren't that important, but the one that offends me, the one that burns to most was this one:

I should have KNOWN that. That should have screamed into my head faster than Albert looking for Diane (love Laura Dern, but that's it for the episode?).

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Episode six had more callbacks to FWWM. Harry Dean Stanton and his trailer park were in FWWM, as were the daytime shots of outdoor power poles + transformers. I'm not sure if it was the same power pole and number stickers as in FWWM, but it wouldn't shock me. Also, I want to look at FWWM again and see if the intersection in 6 where the accident happened was the same one as in FWWM where there was an intense incident with a bit of comedy; remember the old guy nearly collapsing behind his walker?

In 6, I'm wondering if there was an intentional use of orange colored stuff. The lamp on the table at Dougie's house, were he and his wife ate sammiches, was very unusual, and very orange - it threw orange all around. I noticed the color seemed to be repeated in other scenes more than I think it occurs in everyday life. It seemed to me a few times it might have even been inserted using subtle CGI, but it wasn't in every scene.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Got the garmonbozia bits between Cooper and Mr C. (That's my new name for Cooperganger).

I believe it was in the episode before Mr. C crashed his car that he was at a diner with Daria and Ray. You could see a bowl on Mr. C's plate with a few kernels of corn in it. That caught my eye. I figured it probably wasn't happenstance, but had no idea we'd be seeing that corn again in the next episode Eek

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What'd you say your name was again? Fuck you, Tammy!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Now THAT was more like it. That was the most this show reminded me of the original. There were still weird moments, but the plot feels like it is going somewhere. For me, Mr. C stole this entire episode with his creepy conversation with Diane and getting out of prison was nicely handled. Mr. C was into some nasty shit we don't know about.

I also want to know how many more assassins Mr. C has on retainer because this is at least 2 that he's wasted trying to kill Cooper.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried to watch episode 8 last night, but it was pre-empted by a Nine Inch Nails concert. Good grief. Put down the bong and the acid, David. Give us something that's at least coherent to watch, k? Roll Eyes

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, I tried to watch episode 8 last night, but it was pre-empted by a Nine Inch Nails concert. Good grief. Put down the bong and the acid, David. Give us something that's at least coherent to watch, k? Roll Eyes

Took the words right out of my mouth. LSD trip. Stopped watching after the first 20-30 minutes. I'm done!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Would you expect anything less for the origin of BOB?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What I expect is David Lych acknowledging that this series was created for viewers and not personally for David Lynch. What I expect is being able to follow the Goddamned story. There is such a thing as being too clever. We've reached that point in this series.

Yes, I think I understand vaguely what Lynch is saying, but for God's sake, the man needs to come back to reality and realize that if it weren't for the viewers, he'd have nothing to create. There are all sorts of dead end shit Lynch puts in his stories- stuff that has no explanation, makes no sense, and is never explained. Just what in the fuck is that supposed to be? This is a fair question. Viewers, remember? No viewers, no oh-so-clever bullshit.

Yes, I realize that Lynch is an Absurdist. Nevertheless, we keep coming back to those pesky viewers. Roll Eyes

Having said all that, I will say that episode 8 was visually quite beautiful. The CGI shot of the Trinity atomic detonation was gorgeous. The exterior of the Giant's home/castle/whatever reminded me of some of the exterior shots in Lynch's version of Dune. Very imaginative, front to back.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Didn't realize who this was until after watching... Big Grin

--------------------

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. LSD trip. Stopped watching after the first 20-30 minutes. I'm done!

Someone told me they had read that Lynch takes inspiration from visions he has during transcendental meditation. I've heard after years of practice, you can get some quite trippy experiences from meditation.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lynch is telling us that Killer Bob was born out of the first atomic explosion.

The Trinity sequence from episode 8. Evocative of Kubrick's 2001 and Terence Malick's Tree of Life

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Episode 8 was a roller coaster of sorts. I hated it at one point, and cursed Lynch's name, but now I'm looking forward to watching it again.

One summer in Montana, 1994 or 5, working in Glacier Park at Lake McDonald - I wandered off to get breakfast or something at the cafe, came back to the lake shore (working at the boat dock) and my coworker told me David Lynch (and one of his sons) had just walked up and hung out/chatted for a few minutes while I was gone. I couldn't believe it, probably walked right past him when I had walked off initially.

--------------------

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No episode next week because of the July 4th holiday.

Hopefully, Nine Inch Nails will have moved on to their next gig by that time. Six minutes out of the episode for that musical interlude. So strange.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lynch is telling us that Killer Bob was born out of the first atomic explosion.

Agreed.

What I've gathered so far from episode eight was that the first atomic explosion was detected across space/time/dimensions, which caused seemingly the same creature we saw in the glass box in episode one (the one that opened the skulls of the young lovers) to create/release Bob. My initial assumption was that it was an intentional release, but maybe not, since it looked like projectile vomit from the creature in which Bob was contained. Maybe that was involuntary. Seems unlikely, but maybe that creature was keeping Bob imprisoned, and it was looking for him when it broke out of the glass box and killed the young lovers.

It seems the giant was in a place similar to where the good Cooper went to right after leaving the Black Lodge, where he encountered the eyeless woman, and Ronette Pulaski. A warning sounds which prompts the giant to produce Laura Palmer's soul/spirit/essence. I don't recall if the giant saw Bob moving towards earth, or just the atomic explosion. At first I assumed he sent Laura to earth to ultimately be the antidote to Bob, or the catalyst for his destruction/re-imprisonment. A less likely scenario was that she was to be some sort of anti-nuke factor, but that Bob's mission became to find and ruin her.

Whatever the case, it seems clear Laura Palmer still has a major role to play in how things turn out.

Gotta think that the young teen who ingested the frog-bug will one day give birth to Laura.

Agent Gordon may know more than we've been lead to believe. Recall the giant photo of an atomic blast on the wall in his office:

As far as the blackened woodsman and the others like him, I'm pretty much clueless at this point, but haven't thought a lot about those scenes. One question that comes to mind as I write this - did the charred Woodsmen free Bob from Mr. C's body by rubbing blood on his face? Recall Leland Palmer had smashed his head bloody against the door when he was captured in the jail, and Bob escaped his body before he died. I think Bob could be seen rising from Mr. C after the blood rubbing, perhaps blood on the head/face of Bob's host frees him if the host is dying.

Edit to Add: The teen girl could give birth to Bob, instead of Laura.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now I have The Platters My Prayer stuck in my head.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This will help. Start it playing when you go to bed. Guaranteed you'll not hear the song anymore when you wake up. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmSskYelIlY&t=114s