SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's almost here! TWIN PEAKS!!!! Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'm sure some have lost interest. I am a diehard TP/Lynch fan, but think I'd be interested regardless. I haven't posted these last few episodes because the new has worn off, I guess, and some of the episodes are much more comment worthy than others, to me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We're back into WTF mode, waiting for the next plot episode to move things forward. There's very little point speculating because we're pretty certain we're going to be wrong.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hutch and Chantal make perfect minions for evil Cooper. I didn't notice at first, but they have the same last name, so they're either man and wife or brother and sister.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ Don't assume that's an either/or proposition. Wink

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Still watching for sure (just watched 12 last night)

Why does the sheriff go to Ben Horne and not Audrey if Richard is her son?? Who the hell is this Charlie guy she's married to!? I've got to watch that part over again for sure. 12 was a slow episode - was expecting a lot more with the title of it. Can't wait for the next one!

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Is that Audrey's husband, or psychiatrist?!

--------------------

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's her husband.

It took me a while, but I now realize what's going on. I realize why a few episodes back, we watched a shot of a guy sweeping s floor for about three minutes. I realize why we have these long musical interludes. I realize what is up with the utterly meaningless conversations patrons of the Roadhouse are having in booths at the end of each episode.

When the series was originally announced in late 2014, it was slated for 9 episodes. Later, that number was doubled.

David Lynch has enough story for 9 episodes, and is telling it in 18 episodes.

There you have it. All the meaningless shit people are trying to figure out, is nothing more than meaningless shit. Filler, and nothing more. The pace is so slow because we are moving- at best- at half speed.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When the series was originally announced in late 2014, it was slated for 9 episodes. Later, that number was doubled.

I remember reading this and thinking the same thing. Most of the gratuitous long-takes and non sequitur filler material are just Lynch being artistically self-indulgent. It's a director's trademark like Zack Snyder overusing slow-mo shots, Michael Bay overdoing explosions, JJ Abrams gratuitous use of lens flare, and Quentin Tarantino inserting long, 'trying too hard to be clever' pop culture conversations.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Episode before last, it took that French woman every bit of two and a half minutes to get up from the couch and leave that hotel room. I timed it. Big Grin

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

There you have it. All the meaningless shit people are trying to figure out, is nothing more than meaningless shit. Filler, and nothing more. The pace is so slow because we are moving- at best- at half speed.

I'm sure there's some of that, but I don't think it's the entire story. I get the feeling Episode 8 would exist in a 9 or 18 episode series regardless, and if Lynch/Frost ran out of material, we'd be seeing more of the old characters in Twin Peaks. I'm pretty sure the "globetrotting" is the result of the expansion. We've spent maybe a grand total of 3 "episode" lengths in Twin Peaks while we've been elsewhere for the rest.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Far out Big Grin

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Andy going into the white lodge or wherever - ok that was mostly expected once they arrived there. But Sarah Palmer eating that guy... what. the. f...

--------------------

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and when she goes back to the store for more vodka and cigarettes, they'd better not have that freakin' turkey jerky up behind the counter.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, the freak in the cell who was repeating every word and sound he heard. Bizarre.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Much better episode than the previous two, IMO. Only thing that would have made it better would have been if Andy's skull had been opened, instead of him becoming a key figure, at least momentarily. I really was hoping for a sudden, violent demise for him when they approached that smoke/fog in the forest.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think this was Andy's finest hour. After he came back from the White Lodge, he was clued in. Maybe he's a bit smarter now. Big Grin

I found this interesting, especially the youtube video of Jake Wardle doing all those accents:

6 Things You Might Have Missed In 'Twin Peaks' Season 3, Episode 14

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, Episode 15 was great. I can see we're tying up loose ends.

Big Ed and Norma Big Grin Long time comin'. That's great.

Could it be that the entire reason for this whole "Dr. Amp" Golden Shovel bit was as a way for Nadine to finally let go?

The Death of the Log Lady- as a true fan of the original series, I have to say that was one of the most moving things I've ever seen on the small screen. Catherine Coulson worked for David Lynch in his early days, sometimes without pay. During the making of Eraserhead, Lynch had a vision of Coulson holding a log, and that became the character of Margaret Lanterman, the Log Lady, a key component of the Twin Peaks mythology. Coulson died in late 2015, shortly after filming her scenes.

In the episode with the French woman and the hotel room- that exchange between David Lynch and Miguel Ferrer- I got the impression that Lynch was speaking not in character, but to his friend, who was ill at that time with throat cancer, and who passed away in January.

I read somewhere online an observation that Lynch's work gets under your skin. He leaves so much for the viewer to play with. Also, there's a melancholy of sorts that permeates the 2017 version of Twin Peaks, with all of the characters much older, and so many already gone. The nostalgia is remarkable. I was frustrated with the way the series started, but it has turned out to be a gem.

BTW, Audrey has not been able to get out of that room for three episodes. I know she's out of the coma because her son confronted evil Cooper (his dad, I guess) last night. He said he recognized photos of Cooper his mother had shown him. So, whatever she's experiencing now seems to be real. I guess we'll know in three episodes or less.

Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Death of the Log Lady- as a true fan of the original series, I have to say that was one of the most moving things I've ever seen on the small screen. Catherine Coulson worked for David Lynch in his early days, sometimes without pay. During the making of Eraserhead, Lynch had a vision of Coulson holding a log, and that became the character of Margaret Lanterman, the Log Lady, a key component of the Twin Peaks mythology. Coulson date in late 2015, shortly after filming her scenes.

In the episode with the French woman and the hotel room- that exchange between David Lynch and Miguel Ferrer- I got the impression that Lynch was speaking not in character, but to his friend, who was ill at that time with throat cancer, and who passed away in January.

I read somewhere online an observation that Lynch's work gets under your skin. He leaves so much for the viewer to play with. Also, there's a melancholy of sorts that permeates the 2017 version of Twin Peaks, with all of the characters much older, and so many already gone. The nostalgia is remarkable. I was frustrated with the way the series started, but it has turned out to be a gem.

I got the same feeling from that scene with Lynch and Ferrer. Mark Frost's father, Warren Frost (Doc Hayward), was also ill when he filmed his short scene, and died in February. One critic whose Twin Peaks reviews I've been following put it like this after episode 4 :

quote:
Age, death, and loss loom over this production with searing, sweet honesty. The camera makes no effort to disguise the lines on the faces of the returning cast, to conceal the frailty of some and the robust maturity of others. Many of these performers have died since filming their segments, or appear only in fragments and flashbacks. Episode after episode is dedicated to their memories: to Catherine Coulson, to Frank Silva, to Miguel Ferrer, to Don S. Davis. (Major Briggs appears here as the floating face Cooper sees against the stars.) It’s almost a shock when ”Part 4” doesn’t end with a dedication to a lost member of the cast. It’s rare to see a show embrace attrition like this, and it touches me deeply.

I haven't ever seen anything like this on television, and I'm very thankful that Showtime, David Lynch, and these actors were able to make it happen.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I never saw it ... until this month ... I checked it out of the library for their 3 week max loan, the 10-disc set ... the librarian winked and said the computer was down, unlocked the case and slid it back.

And decided to take a break mid-Disc 4 and returned it. Don't tell me how it ends ...

"Hell of a way to kill a tick"

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My head hurts from trying to figure out what the hell is up with Audrey Horne...

--------------------