SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What modern Country music could be and should be
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modern Country music could be and should be Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen is one of my all time favorite albums.

My daughter and I are going to see REK and Lyle Lovett in February. Should be a great show.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My daughter and I are going to see REK and Lyle Lovett in February. Should be a great show.

Nice!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
There are very few good country singers making good music nowadays. Chris Stapleton has a great sound who makes good original country stuff. Eric Church and Zach Brown Band are two others I'll just throw out there. Shame that I can think of any others at the moment...
I'm a fan of Chris Stapleton. Not only is his music country, but he has a great voice and can play the guitar (I prefer musicians who can both sing and play an instrument). Check out his guitar skills on SNL at the 1:20 mark:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrBiMp7_Uk

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Me, my wife, and Robert Keen.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I hope to catch the Keen and Lovett tour, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
That's too cool jhe

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm a fan of Chris Stapleton. Not only is his music country, but he has a great voice and can play the guitar

I like his stuff with The SteelDrivers and The Jompson Brothers as well.

Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Turnpike Troubadours ***really liking their stuff recently.

I’ll second this. I was lucky enough to catch them in Chicago this month and their live concerts are a blast. Their new album is another one that I can easily listen to on repeat.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen is one of my all time favorite albums.

I was at a Robert Earl Keen show a couple years ago in Charlotte and the opening band cancelled on short notice. REK came out with a guitar and sang solo for about 45 min, then went back and changed and came out with his band for a full show. Class act.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

jhe, I like your hat. What make/model is it?

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hear hear. Darius Rucker is good stuff. Great voice, great music.

There are very few good country singers making good music nowadays. Chris Stapleton has a great sound who makes good original country stuff. Eric Church and Zach Brown Band are two others I'll just throw out there. Shame that I can think of any others at the moment...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZI-aPHeUDlk

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sI0TeFf6uD8

Chris gets my vote. Glad he did so well at the CMA's.

I am sick and tired of "bro" country. Aka Luke Bryan.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
My wife and saw Luke Combs in KC a few weeks ago. He’s great. https://youtu.be/ukvBuyRPQDI

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

jhe, I like your hat. What make/model is it?

Thanks. It is a Stetson Open Road.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. It is a Stetson Open Road.

Very nice hat. I prefer the smaller brim. Mine came today, and I immediately steamed the front brim to a downturn. This will be my go-to hat from now on. I've tried the wider brimmed hats, but feel like I'm walking under an umbrella. This is a nice compromise.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Paul Thorn is one of my favorites, he's known mostly for a novelty song on Bob and Toms radio show, but his more serious stuff is pretty good.

Kinda leans into Blues/Gospel end of the spectrum....

Here's my favorite song of his, crappy live recording.

Another good one....

his daughter Kit can sing too, her singing one of his songs....

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Love Chris Stapleton. What a great musician. Even if you don’t care for his music, you have to respect his talent-incredible song writing, guitar skills, and pipes that are unbelievable.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nice!

Glad some one mentioned old Lyle. My favorite singer and musician, been listening to his works for years. Isn't some ine that sings about cowboys, card games, pickup trucks and penquins a country artist? Hehe.

But most of the "country" music aired these days just sounds like drivel, easily forgotten.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Lyle Lovett is the real deal, for sure.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para for starting this thread as well as everyone who posted...I've added quite a few songs into my iPod rotation as a result Smile...some good stuff!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Can't seem to get away from that Aaron Lewis track, lately.

My favorite part is the George Jones bits. George always had a cool voice, but he and Ralph Stanley sound so similar now that they're older. You can't fake that gravelly maturity.