SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What modern Country music could be and should be
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modern Country music could be and should be Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
No political activism, no silly bullshit, just a good tune that stays with you.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
And great song for doing the two step.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite songs! I agree, everything from country to rock has moved to weird alternative pop crap.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Rucker does a great job with this song. I prefer it to Old Crow Medicine Show's version.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Rucker does a great job with this song. I prefer it to Old Crow Medicine Show's version.

Me too, OCMS is just awesome. I am liking Darius Rucker as well, I will chase this around utube for sure today.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hootie.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No political activism, no silly bullshit, just a good tune that stays with you.

No shit & a great tune!!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

Wikapedia Link Wagon Wheel

Wagon Wheel" is a song co-written by Bob Dylan and Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show.[2] Dylan recorded the chorus in 1973; Secor added verses 25 years later. Old Crow Medicine Show's final version was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America in April 2013.[3]

The song has been covered numerous times, notably by Nathan Carter in 2012 and Darius Rucker in 2013. Rucker's version reached No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart and was certified triple Platinum by the RIAA in March 2014.[4]

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Rucker is a cool guy, very real. Hootie jokes aside - his music, now and then, is good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Funny you posted the Aaron Lewis song in the other thread and I mentioned that even though his country stuff is good I still prefer the Staind stuff.

Now you mention Darius and I far prefer his country stuff to the Hootie days though I do prefer the Hootie stuff more now than I did when it was new.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
She performed this song on the CMAs just a few days ago. Unfortunately, there's not a video of that performance, so this will have to do.

If this ain't Country, then there ain't such a thing.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blasphemy! Truth be told I’ll take either long before I’ll take most Nashville crap these days.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
If this ain't Country, then there ain't such a thing.

Yep.

Another of hers. Probably my favorite one.

Tough not to get a little choked up.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Are the home movies in the video actually her and her family?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hear hear. Darius Rucker is good stuff. Great voice, great music.

There are very few good country singers making good music nowadays. Chris Stapleton has a great sound who makes good original country stuff. Eric Church and Zach Brown Band are two others I'll just throw out there. Shame that I can think of any others at the moment...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZI-aPHeUDlk

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sI0TeFf6uD8

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Another of hers. Probably my favorite one.

Tough not to get a little choked up.

You got that right.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Plenty already mentioned

I'll add a few more:

Whiskey Myers
Gary Allen
Reckless Kelly

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Its a great song but no thanks to Rucker. He's a nashville invention, packaged for the masses and so is his cover of this song.

Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are what real country music soubds like to me.

And honestly, I don't have a problem with country music being political. Country music has always been the voice of the little man, the farmer, the blue collar worker. Willie, Merle, Hank, Kris, Garth... they've all delved into politics in one way or another.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Funny you posted the Aaron Lewis song in the other thread and I mentioned that even though his country stuff is good I still prefer the Staind stuff.

Now you mention Darius and I far prefer his country stuff to the Hootie days though I do prefer the Hootie stuff more now than I did when it was new.

saw Hootie in concert several times in the 90's, always a good show, and good music,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
You guys have no idea how excited I am to see you talk about the likes of Whiskey Myers, Reckless Kelly, Sturgill Simpson, etc. We in the Lone Star State are blessed with some of the best regional music anywhere. I say regional because much of what we’re discussing is what we would call Texas Country. Really it’s just what more traditional country music sounds like without the Nashville spin. We even welcome those not from around here (Jason Isbell - love his stuff) with open arms. The lines between TX Country, Americana, Bluegrass, southern rock, and Red Dirt are often very fuzzy.

To that end I can recommend a few others.

Aaron Watson
Wade Bowen
Flatland Cavalry
Koe Wetzel
William Clark Green
Cody Jinx
Bart Crow
Turnpike Troubadours ***really liking their stuff recently.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post