SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    American Assassin
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Assassin Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Man, I'm looking forward to this one.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Huge fan of the book series by Flynn.

Keaton fits being Stan, the lead does NOT fit the role of Mitch Rapp, at all!
Hopefully the character, if not physically, will be conveyed. Ps.. hey kid, eat a sandwich!!

I will wait for reviews and then decide if I see it in theater or on rental.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of hopes for this movie, it could be a great series if they do it right. A few things that concern me with modern day Hollywood though:

- The actor looks like a scrawny douche, Mitch was a tall beast.

- Vince made it very clear that Islamic terrorists were a major threat

- I had reservations with Stan Hurley being played by Michael Keaton, Bruce Willis was originally slated. Hopefully Keaton can pull it off.

- Some people are pissed that the incident that makes Mitch Rapp join the CIA has been modernized. I've no problem with that. You had to do that or the story could not take place in modern times.

Fingers crossed. I just saw that Kyle Mills signed a deal to do 3 more Rapp books. It's his series now, I guess.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the books but movie looks good.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Plenty of dubious casting choices here. Will probably wait for it to show up on cable.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that read the books and pictured Irene Kennedy as a blond woman in her mid 40s?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Am I the only one that read the books and pictured Irene Kennedy as a blond woman in her mid 40s?

You are not the only one. But we must be PC.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I've read all the Mitch Rapp books, American Assassin twice. This looks like MINO - movie in name only. Sure the character names are the same and the bad guys are the same, but the backstory on Mitch being a world-class athlete looks to have been completely left out. I understand, and can appreciate, the need to modernize the story with more current events to attract an audience, but this looks like garbage to me.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
quote:

Wait, in reading the books I got the impression Irene was a black lady with an eidetic memory and stratospheric IQ. Didn't Rapp write her as black?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:
quote:

Wait, in reading the books I got the impression Irene was a black lady with an eidetic memory and stratospheric IQ. Didn't Rapp write her as black?
I thought she was a caucasian redhead

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I have a lot of hopes for this movie, it could be a great series if they do it right. A few things that concern me with modern day Hollywood though:

Hey, if Tom Cruise can play Jack Reacher... Big Grin

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:
quote:

I can't point to any particular passage, but that was the picture I've always had of her too.

ETA: Or maybe I was just projecting Condi onto her?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

LOL, don't even get me started on that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He cant... those movies sucked

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
quote:

He cant... those movies sucked

Exactly! Actually I've never seem them myself. Between hollywood's penchant for screwing up good stories and my general dislike for TC, I just assumed that they'd be crap.

That said, I'm hoping that American Assassin will be good. Keaton, I'm not so sure about - maybe they'll let him wear his Batman suit.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
Huge fan of the book series by Flynn.

Keaton fits being Stan, the lead does NOT fit the role of Mitch Rapp, at all!
Hopefully the character, if not physically, will be conveyed. Ps.. hey kid, eat a sandwich!!

I will wait for reviews and then decide if I see it in theater or on rental.

What, 5'11" 195lbs. ?? Not like this boy in the lead role.

I will give it a try though.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Rapp is described as 6-1 195lbs. Dylan O'brien is 5-11 and 152lbs. That disparity while it doesn't really rival The Jack Reacher Tom Cruise difference is significant.
To me when I read the books Kennedy was a Nicole Kidman type.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the audiobook yesterday, I had previously read the paperback. Got my tickets for Friday. I'm really going in with an open mind. I think as long as it's not just a crappy movie I'll be happy. I get the need to update things and I'll give Dylan a shot.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You couldn't pay me enough to make me watch anything coming out of Hollywood these days with either "American" or "Assassin" in the title, regardless of what it's supposed to be about.

Be careful of what you are supporting, gents. Read between the lines.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the movie but I think I will read the book now.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post