SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    American Assassin
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Assassin Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Michael Keaton is one of my favorite actors if you don't count Birdman .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Are you including Spiderman Homecoming, where he played "Mecha-Birdman"? Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
The main preview just irks me every time I see it. In the last scene shown he taps and racks himself into slide lock but continues forward like his gun is loaded. Yeah its a nit-pick but if you're gonna highlight that stuff, get it right.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Just started re-reading "American Assassin" last night.

Irene Kennedy has auburn hair. From chapter 2; "She looked up at the man on the porch and brushed a loose strand of her auburn hair behind her ear. Stopping at the base of the porch steps she said, “Uncle Stan, you don’t look too excited to see me.”

I don't think I'll be too excited to see this movie....I like the book though!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
But the book is good? Sounds like an interesting read.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
The main preview just irks me every time I see it. In the last scene shown he taps and racks himself into slide lock but continues forward like his gun is loaded. Yeah its a nit-pick but if you're gonna highlight that stuff, get it right.

I'm with Para - Hollywood can't get American or Assassin right - and the poor gun-handling skills in this movie (by supposed professionals) is just continued verification of that fact. It's not hard to get it right and, in my opinion, proper and accurate weapon-handling would be a positive attribute.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This reviewer HATED American Assassin for all the reasons I want to love it. Gives me hope!

American Assassin Is Aggressively, Flagrantly Not a Movie We Need Right Now

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night...I'm unimpressed. I'm a huge fan of Flynn, and I'm disappointed that they didn't stick with the plot of the book, even remotely.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

You didn't like him in Birdman? Really?

I thought he was great in that. Ah well...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Birdman and Keaton were fantastic, as far as I'm concerned.

The film is rather polarizing, though, very few middle ground opinions.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Saw it last night...I'm unimpressed. I'm a huge fan of Flynn, and I'm disappointed that they didn't stick with the plot of the book, even remotely.

Just started reading the book. And I simply hate it when Hollyweird tries to "improve" on a good read. Absolutely no hurry to see this flick now.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It depends on why the script is changed

I don't have any issue with the "modernizing" it by changing the terrorist incident that "creates" Mitch Rapp from the Lockerbie bombing

The book American assassin is told as a flashback from the current title continuity of books

If, in the movie, they want to use it as a jump off point for a contemporary account, i don't have an issue with it

That's changing the story for a good reason

A similar thing is the Amazon TV show Bosch based on Nichael Connelly's books about that character. In that series, Harry Bosch is a Vietnam vet/former tunnel rat...he's in his mid 70s now in the books

In the tv show they make the character a special forces veteran from the war on terror. It is allows for a contemporary, more relevant character even though I love the books and the character contained therein

If this movie makes those kind of changes for those reasons I will be fine

But, something tells me, they go a lot further than that

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a little disappointed, could have been better. Seemed low budget, lighting and camera work seemed off or something.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Just caught the matinee and I'm shocked that it was as bad as it was. Rapp and Irene were terribly miscast. Been a while since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure that this cheesy plot had very little in common with it. I wasn't expecting to be blown away but I was hoping it might be as good as the first Bourne movie. It wasn't. Very disappointing...especially after hoping for so many years that Rapp would be brought to the big scree.

One positive is that there was no America-bashing or lefty politics.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Just rented the disc and yep, not even close. Taken by its self, a fair, if somewhat disjoint and formula action movie ( and trust me, I am usually just fine with that ) but I love the Rapp books and they were way off. At least way off what my mind thought the movie would be. Lots of “creative reimagining”. Oh well, that’s hollywood.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had high hopes but was disappointed. I give it a healthy C+...maybe B-. No...C+.

Think Bourne, only somewhat worse.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Well, crap. I didn't think it was possible to make a movie further off from the book than Bourne (although the late `80's Richard Chamberlain miniseries was pretty good). Guess I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix, or maybe Redbox if I get bored some night.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night and it was absolute shit. I only gave it a shot because of Keaton.
Early on at the gun range, watching the millennial go select fire and shoot others’ targets, well it was all downhill after that. Save yourself the time. I want my 1 hour fifty minutes back. Terrible POS. The millennial never could pull off Assasin.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Another “meh” here. I’ve never read the books, so I had no issue with the hipster. But their fieldcraft seemed awful. Pretty sure you should not sit and stare intently at target.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Watched it last night and it was absolute shit. I only gave it a shot because of Keaton.
Early on at the gun range, watching the millennial go select fire and shoot others’ targets, well it was all downhill after that. Save yourself the time. I want my 1 hour fifty minutes back. Terrible POS. The millennial never could pull off Assasin.

Thank you, your review is spot on. I watched it a couple days ago and couldn't put into words why I hated. The whole angry petulant millennial crap was too much. So a millennial gets some firearm training and joins a mixed martial arts gym, and he is better than the SEALs, Deltas, etc, who spend a lot of time shooting and learning to kill people. Movie was pure bullshit.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post