SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gun Crazy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Crazy Login/Join 
posted
Superb film by Dalton Trumbo. TCM on demand now.

This movie shows how crazy women can be.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that one.

And while I really like MUCH of his work, what can I say about him?

Not so much good.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watched it yesterday.
Enjoyed it ~ where else can a guy just out of juvee, the military come home and the first day back shootin' guns and drinking beer all the same time? Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's correct to credit this film to Dalton Trumbo. He didn't write the story. MacKinlay Kantor wrote the story upon which the film is based, and although Trumbo contributed to the screenplay, so did Kantor himself.

I think the credit for the film should go to director Joseph H. Lewis, who directed at least one other film noir with the theme of amor fou, namely, The Big Combo, in which Lewis included a scene between Richard Conte and Jean Wallace which suggests that Conte is performing cunnilingus on Wallace.

Yes, that scene made it into the film, most likely because no dialogue in the scene suggests anything sexual, and that's what the censors went by- the shooting script.

For Gun Crazy, in the scene where John Dall meets Peggy Cummins, Lewis' direction to Dall was this: "You see her. Your dick's never been so hard." Later in the film, there's a scene in a diner where Cummins is wearing a sweater and probably not much of a bra (if any) under it, because her nipples appear to be hard as saphires, and you just don't see that in American films made between 1934 and 1966.
If you want to see Cummins' perky cannons trying to push through her sweater, go to the 32 minute mark of the film at TCM On Demand. There is simply no way that either Lewis or cinematographer Russell Harlan missed this.

So, what I see in Gun Crazy is not the capitalism-is-evil horse shit of Trumbo; I see the imprint of Joseph H. Lewis, who sometimes skirted the edge of the Production Code with his sexual themes.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a screenshot I made off of TCM On Demand.

Ms. Cummins tits have "Joseph H. Lewis" written all over them. Gun Crazy belongs to him.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
That women was no good.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unless you needed to etch glass.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Miss Cummins is definitely not-quite-hiding a pair of shapely strawberries in her sweater. My favorite line in the film is when they are escaping the big heist and he says 'We're shooting people and being chased by the police just to avoid work?'.

Veronica Lake also 'stretches fabric point to point' in her white dress in 'I Married a Witch'.

In the noir genre, I tried to get her movies 'Saigon', 'This Gun for Hire', and 'The Blue Dahlia' through Inter-Library Loan.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always had a thing for Veronica Lake and her hair covering one eye.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
My favorite line in the film is when they are escaping the big heist and he says 'We're shooting people and being chased by the police just to avoid work?'
I don't know if that line was in the original story or if Kantor himself added to to the script, but, to me, it sounds like something Trumbo would say: "Look at the damage done by capitalism, forcing common people into lives of crime, whereas in communism, all workers are happy and no one is without." Actually, most people are without, except for party leaders. Everyone is on the same shitty level except for the ruling class (which is not supposed to exist in communism).

The movie Trumbo does its best to rehabiltate Dalton Trumbo by changing or ignoring the facts.