New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Wing Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I've been rewatching West Wing. The writing...just damn.

For those who never watched, this is Ainsley...I LOVE Ainsley. She is written in as a Republican working for a Democratic White House. I'm sure they added her to gain a few extra conservative viewers who wanted to watch the hot blond with the sexy voice kick some Liberal ass. It worked....They made her smart, funny, and let her win once in a while.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The wife and I recently binged the entire series on Netflix. Excellent writing and acting, for the most part.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I loved watching The West Wing. But never forget that it was created by Aaron Sorkin, who invariably uses his shows to push his own liberal views through well-written, intensely suspenseful episodes in every series he's produced. Shows like Studio 60 on Sunset Strip and The Newsroom. He will include characters whose views oppose his own but inevitably his will always come out on top.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Season 1 Episode 10 "In Excelsis Deo".

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how far Democrats have moved to the left on certain issues since that show.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“Posse Comitatus” (Season 3, Episode 21)
“Two Cathedrals” (Season 2, Episode 22)

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I started watching the show and thought it was pretty good but quickly tired of it and started to refer to it as 'The Left Wing'

a couple of characters on the show just rubbed me wrong and I've never been a fan of Martin Sheen to begin with

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
We also watched the whole series recently. What struck me is we are still dealing with the same issues 10+ years later.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed the West Wing. I thought it was very well acted and written. Many great cameos as well. My favorite was Mark Harmon as a secret service agent. His episodes were great.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
“Posse Comitatus” (Season 3, Episode 21)

+ 1

The political leaning of the characters never bothered me, without them you would not have had any storylines.

It was exceptionally well written.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was one episode where a homeless vet passed away and a business card for the communications director, Toby, was in his jacket. Don't recall all the details but I do remember the emotional, sad, reaction I had to that episode.

Agree with the other comments, a very well written show most of the time. And yes, Mark Harmon's role as the USSS agent was very well done.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doc45:
There was one episode where a homeless vet passed away and a business card for the communications director, Toby, was in his jacket. Don't recall all the details but I do remember the emotional, sad, reaction I had to that episode.

Agree with the other comments, a very well written show most of the time. And yes, Mark Harmon's role as the USSS agent was very well done.

Yep.

Longer scene, explains it better but can't embed:

The West Wing In Excelsis Deo

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I love that scene

“Don’t you think every homeless veteran will come out of the woodwork?”

“I can only hope, sir”

The speech at the end of 24 Hours in America about the terrorist attack was probably my favorite

The show jumped the shark for me with the kidnapping of the daughter

But the first four and a half seasons are some of the best TV ever

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post