Find
Notify
Tools

John Prine Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I love a bunch of his music, and this one from Slingblade is one of my favorites:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two favorite John Prine songs:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVZmSEpuJtg

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1EF9Q2m7pA

On a side note, I used to watch "Sessions at West 54th." One of my favorite music shows.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite artists for the past few decades. I've seen him live a number of times, the last being last year in Chicago. I don't ever remember having so much fun at a concert nor enjoying one more. It was obvious that he loves playing at home.

So many of his tunes are so good that it's hard to pick any that really stick out, but these two have been near the top of my list for the past few years.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like this version of Angel From Montgomery with he and Bonnie Raitt:

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
So many to choose from but I hear this and it's stuck for the foreseeable future. "..She calls everybody Carl..." --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I love most of his songs, but some how Spanish PipeDream sticks in my craw.

Spanish Pipedream ( Spanish PipeDreram.). I was fortunate to see Prine live at the Cellar Door in Georgeton, DC, back in the 1970's.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Prine has a lot of great songs. He does tend toward the left end of the spectrum often, and that can be annoying, but a lot of his stuff is just about people being people. I've been a fan for a long time.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

So many of his tunes are so good that it's hard to pick any that really stick out, ...

Have to respectfully disagree. John Prince has written a lot of great songs, but Hello
In There
is by far the best. The older
I get, the more powerful and moving that song becomes.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I was fortunate to see Prine live at the Cellar Door in Georgeton, DC, back in the 1970's.

Very cool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
John Prince has written a lot of great songs, but Hello
In There
is by far the best. The older
I get, the more powerful and moving that song becomes.

Been a fan of John Prine and his lyrics for many years. Seen him live a handful of times. Learned to play many of his songs on my acoustic guitar. Hello in There also one of my favorites as well. Thought about this song visiting my father in law in assisted living. So many there waiting for someone to say "Hello in There, Hello."

Some of my favorite lines.

And the police arrived at a quarter to five
and pronounced all the victims OK.

She called her husband mister
and walked real tall and pride.

My old man is another child that's grown old.

up in the morning
work like a dog
is better than sitting
like a bump on a log
mind all your manners
be quiet as a mouse
some day you'll own a home
that's as big as a house

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes

A perfect example of what a great lyricist he is.
Another really hit home with me. When I was a horny 14 year old, my equally horny cousin and I used to meet downtown on Saturdays to cruise the Army-Navy stores for patches, bayonets, etc. We would always include a stop at this hole in the wall newstand. We would gradually work our way to the back, where we would casually peruse the nudist magazines. Believe it or not, this was the pre-Playboy era. So when I first heard Prine sing, "Well I just found Readers Digest in the back of the dirty book store", I laughed out loud.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m also a long-time fan of John Prine the singer/entertainer and John Prine the songwriter—all the way back to his first album (with “Sam Stone” on it).

I’ve seen him a few times, most memorable being a small, outdoor concert in the late 70s with Emmylou in Park City. I distinctly remember that “Barney Miller” from the comedy cop show was there with us.

The song “Clay Pigeons” is a favorite of mine too. Although it sounds just like something John would write, a guy named Blaze Foley penned that one. Prine also did a great job with a couple of Steve Goodman tunes, like “Blue Umbrella.”

I couldn’t pick a favorite. Even a list of songs I like would be too long.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Shadows...

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First heard of him while staying with a couple of friends near the beach in San Diego in the early/mid-seventies. I was learning to play guitar and had aspirations of being a singer-songwriter. Not hard to see the appeal, and I used to do several songs from his first two albums. Big fan from the beginning.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never seen Prine, and he just isn't himself any more as a performer.

But that takes nothing away from his fantastic body of songs and older recordings.

He is one of the best of the last forty years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
All good stuff. Have seen him a couple of times in KC and Wichita. Small venues, nice!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post