SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    At what point does piloting an aircraft become fun ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point does piloting an aircraft become fun ? Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I started to lose interest when I began IFR Training. It became work. I missed the days of flying VFR and getting those $100 hamburgers.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
There are different kinds of fun. Zero vis max crosswind, short runway is fun for some. Using an airplane as a weapon is also fun for some. I like challenges and don't enjoy a simple mission in good weather.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I took lessons when I was in my twenties. I was almost to the point of my solo flight but I ran out of money and had to quit. Trying to concentrate on everything at hand was almost a sensory overload. I've wondered about the fun part myself.

I think most of us probably felt that sensory overload that you refer to. I remember those first 10 to 15 hours and I felt the same way. Once you get back on the ground you are tired, sweaty, and feel like you just worked as opposed to having a wonderful time. If you could have kept at it, I think you would have found that a lot of those things your were super concentrated on start to become automatic, thus allowing you to enjoy the experience of flying more.

I guess I was lucky to have learned in a Cessna 150.
Not much there for sensory overload. Just a nice, simple, balanced, easy to fly plane.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I think it happens at a point when you stop worrying about dieing flying and are experienced enough that you feel comfortable enough and enjoy flying. You get over that really worried stage.

That is also the point where you are more likely to get yourself killed.

That is true. When people get lax/complacent is when they're most likely to have an accident.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Working on my instrument rating now. It's not as fun since you aren't looking out of the plane all the time...but I'm still flying a plane so I'm happy.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post