SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    At what point does piloting an aircraft become fun ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point does piloting an aircraft become fun ? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvBGb5lf78

Not for that duration, but it is a fun feeling. Though I was in a 3 point belt with a parachute on my back as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not for that duration, but it is a fun feeling. Though I was in a 3 point belt with a parachute on my back as well.

And a plane that you can actually bail out of.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Bendable,

Fun has a lot of definitions. When you are flying professionally as a pilot, there are plenty of light moments, but always in the backs of our minds is the knowledge that when you are getting paid to do it, it is a very serious business. All those procedures we do are written because someone else at best violated the law and or put people in danger, at worst got killed.

I grinned like an idiot the first time I took off an airplane. Should there come a time again that I fly for pleasure, I look forward to doing it again. The last time I flew for the sheer fun of it was with our very own resident Cockatoo, and it was a blast.

So, I've had plenty of fun and occasionally hysterically funny moments on the job, but at the end of the day, it is a job where safety and professionalism rule.

Roll a 777. I bet that is fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

This is true, an interesting preflight, getting told how to jettison the doors, evacuate & pull the chute. Luckily it didn't come to that.

Easily one of the most fun days I've ever had.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Bendable,

Fun has a lot of definitions. When you are flying professionally as a pilot, there are plenty of light moments, but always in the backs of our minds is the knowledge that when you are getting paid to do it, it is a very serious business. All those procedures we do are written because someone else at best violated the law and or put people in danger, at worst got killed.

I grinned like an idiot the first time I took off an airplane. Should there come a time again that I fly for pleasure, I look forward to doing it again. The last time I flew for the sheer fun of it was with our very own resident Cockatoo, and it was a blast.

So, I've had plenty of fun and occasionally hysterically funny moments on the job, but at the end of the day, it is a job where safety and professionalism rule.

Roll a 777. I bet that is fun.

Just give Tex Johnston a call. Eek

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNbKFMBsQE

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is true, an interesting preflight, getting told how to jettison the doors, evacuate & pull the chute. Luckily it didn't come to that.

I've received a couple briefings on how to bail out of aerobatic aircraft, but the most interesting was my first flight in a T-28 the bail out briefing was something to the effect of "If I say 'bail out' pull this lever back, undo your harness, and jump out. If you so much as say 'What?' you will be talking to yourself."

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Easily one of the most fun days I've ever had.

Yeah my buddy gave me that briefing with his T6 texan.....but basically followed it up with, unless we're over 2500 feet, you might as well considering yourself a splattered bug as it's not enough time for the chute to open and slow you down......and we won't be anywhere near 2500' today....LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yeah my buddy gave me that briefing with his T6 texan.....but basically followed it up with, unless we're over 2500 feet, you might as well considering yourself a splattered bug as it's not enough time for the chute to open and slow you down......and we won't be anywhere near 2500' today....LOL

I'm not sure how serious that pilot was, but if he was serious that isn't the right attitude to take. Because it can put you into the mindset of attempting to stay with an uncontrollable aircraft because you don't trust the chute.

I was active on the ground side of sport aerobatics for a couple of years. There are numerous cases of low altitude bails out, heck I've heard of one where the pilot bailed out between 400-500' AGL and lived.

Sure the lower you are the more likely injury or death will occur. But I would rather take my chances bailing out than riding down an uncontrollable airplane into the ground.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
fun?

lots of definitions of fun

for me, my very first airplane ride was fun

my first flight in the left seat having my first lesson

my first solo flight

first flight down the eastern seaboard to Kitty Hawk and back

my low and slow flight across the US in the 182

what was really fun was my first fam flight in a CF5 out of CFB Cold Lake

it can be a lot of work, and at times may not seem fun but you're doing something that a small percentage of the population can do

one of my first instructors once told me that a mile of road gets you a mile, a mile of runway can get you most anywhere

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I was 9 , I got to go with dad, in his army buddies single engine under wing .

he made us weightless a couple of times, that felt very strange.

it was an eye opening experience, I never forgot.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd say the fun and excitement begins as soon as you walk up to the aircraft with the purpose of slipping the surly bonds of earth. You're about to do something that a very, very small percentage of the world population knows how to do.

I try very hard NOT to take my God-given gift/talent for granted...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it happens at a point when you stop worrying about dieing flying and are experienced enough that you feel comfortable enough and enjoy flying. You get over that really worried stage.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I think it happens at a point when you stop worrying about dieing flying and are experienced enough that you feel comfortable enough and enjoy flying. You get over that really worried stage.

That is also the point where you are more likely to get yourself killed.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
For me, almost any day flying can be fun. Yeah it is a job, and yes there are miserable days but I am often smiling as well. Any time I take off in the morning from a foggy airport, climb up a few hundred feet and burst into a bright sunny day with a carpet of clouds below me makes me smile.

When I was teaching UPT years ago the last thing I would say to my students in the briefing was:
When we come back from the sortie we are going to ask two questions.
1. Did you learn something? If not, then I am doing something wrong.
2. Did you have fun? If not, then you are doing something wrong, because you are getting paid to fly jets.

Most of the time the answers were yes to both questions. Even a stressful event can be fun if you have the right attitude.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took lessons when I was in my twenties. I was almost to the point of my solo flight but I ran out of money and had to quit. Trying to concentrate on everything at hand was almost a sensory overload. I've wondered about the fun part myself.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I bet it is also fun when you don't hear "(Aircraft identification)POSSIBLE PILOT DEVIATION, ADVISE YOU CONTACT (facility)AT (telephone number)".

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNbKFMBsQE
My grandpa worked for Boeing's flight test department around that time. He told me that Tex had practiced that maneuver over the Pacific.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I took lessons when I was in my twenties. I was almost to the point of my solo flight but I ran out of money and had to quit. Trying to concentrate on everything at hand was almost a sensory overload. I've wondered about the fun part myself.

I think most of us probably felt that sensory overload that you refer to. I remember those first 10 to 15 hours and I felt the same way. Once you get back on the ground you are tired, sweaty, and feel like you just worked as opposed to having a wonderful time. If you could have kept at it, I think you would have found that a lot of those things your were super concentrated on start to become automatic, thus allowing you to enjoy the experience of flying more.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the coolest things I ever did back when I was a young newspaper photographer was to fly in one of the Red Baron Pizza Stearman stunt planes when they were doing a demonstration appearance in Rochester NY.

I showed up to take some ground photos and a VIP had canceled so they asked if I wanted to go up. Sure! The briefing was one of the best parts.

The pilot had me sit in the rear seat and strapped me into a parachute first. "This is not attached to the plane." Then he buckled the seatbelt harness. "This is attached to the plane. If I say, Bail, bail, bail, you unlatch the seatbelt, jump out and pull this handle."

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to bail out, but we did do a bunch of barrel and inverted rolls. It was pretty awesome.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post