Find
Notify
Tools

Westworld Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I didn't even make it to the end of the season finale. All men are weak or evil. All women are powerful, and the darker their skin, the more powerful. And they meet and clash and clash and meet and bounce around the room and die and then they're alive again, so dying means nothing, or maybe they're someone else or maybe they're a copy of the the same machine. Freaking BORING "superhero" shit.

Bored the crap out of me, the last two episodes. I might get around to watching the last half of the finale, but it was such a PC/DC-Comics let down, I don't really care.

Posts: 107569 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I watched all the episodes, but then it wasn't until 3 or 4 days after the final episode aired, that I stopped and thought, "Wait, was that the season finale?"

I didn't care.

Sad that they had access to potential and a great IP and didn't do anything worthwhile with it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Tell you what about the season finale - I personally loved hearing "Dark Side of the Moon" on the piano.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Add me to the "disappointed with Season 3" camp. Decent. Not great. Lots of cool world-building, but minimal payoff.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I just started watching it on HBO.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had watch the first 4-5 episodes years ago but just watched the whole thing.

I enjoyed all the seasons and was actually glad to get away from some of the repetitive Western episodes and Season 3 was pretty good, albeit different with some meh social wokeness.

I see Season 4 is already greenlit, so we'll have more to see.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I think this season was a let down like Para mentioned above. The Mary Sue-ing of the series reminds me of the Mary Sue in Star Wars. It's getting old fast.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
There's a movie reviewer on YouTube, The Critical Drinker, that I'm a big fan of. He tears into the 2nd and 3rd seasons of this show, thoroughly describing the problems with it (and a lot of other series and movies as well on his channel). He very neatly encapsulates the problems with the show others in this thread have mentioned, especially how all the women have to be strong, brave, and empowered, while the men have to be simpering weaklings. The pattern is happening more and more frequently in popular media (preaching to the choir here), and it's seriously turning off audiences, and Drinker shines a spotlight on these problems.

Here's his most recent review, about the 3rd season finale. He is hilarious and brutal in his criticism.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I liked most of season 3, but the finale was a bit of a let down. I was hoping to see more aftermath of what shutting down 'the system' would lead to, and less of the 'who is more evil/corrupt' game. I rather enjoyed the waif-fu sword fights, but I thought Mr. Unpronounceable name being a loudspeaker for the unpronounceably named AI was lame. I guess they were trying to be all deep about letting computers control our lives, but it just come off as fourth-wall-breakingly silly. After all is said and done, I'm still kinda interested to see where Bernard goes, but that's about it. That said, I think there is a golden opportunity for an all-Dolores dance-off in the next season.

I don't actually mind the girl-power stuff all that much. I've spent years watching Anime that very often has strong, improbably-thin women as the super-powered heroes while the men are simpering, useless idiots or moustache-twirlingly evil. To this very day, I want to slap the everloving shit out of Shinji any time I see Neon Genesis Evangelion. Feckless, simpering, idiot! Anyway, years of that stuff means it doesn't feel like a jarring change to me to see it in live-action. It's just another trope as far as I'm concerned. However, Anime tends to have really cool robo-suits and giant monster battles, which is what I'm really there to watch!

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I don't actually mind the girl-power stuff all that much.
Then, you have my sympathy for being OK with having this shit thrown at us at every turn.

The reality is that if you took, say, fifty women at random, and 50 men at random, put them in a room with no weapons and had them get to scrappin', the men would win every time. Every. Single. Time. No matter how many times you ran the experiment, the result would be the same. That is reality.

Science fiction is one thing, but the ideas they are presenting are being used to brainwash people, and it sounds as if you're all the way through the process, like a good Manchurian Candidate should be.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Sheet, Andy Kaufman proved that decades ago.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the hell happened to s3...I finally watched the last 3-ep and, huh?

I'm having GoT flashbacks, good character and plot build-up, solid meaty episodes, then crap-tastic, off-the-rails home stretch.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
CANCELLED

Cancelled three seasons too late, and good fucking riddance for destroying a fine show with your idiotic, childish PC women-are-more-powerful horse shit.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
The decision to cut the show reportedly stems from a combined lack of viewership throughout the seasons and an aggressive budget cut due to the "production’s hefty price tag," according to Variety.

The season 1 opening episode showed so much promise.
I occasionally rewatch that episode and others from S1.

I had trouble getting through S2 and never made it all the way through S3.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They can spin it however they like. Those of us who watched the show know the truth, which is that the woke producers and writers killed this show, which could still be in production right now if they could have controlled their childish bullshit.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I don't actually mind the girl-power stuff all that much.
Then, you have my sympathy for being OK with having this shit thrown at us at every turn.

The reality is that if you took, say, fifty women at random, and 50 men at random, put them in a room with no weapons and had them get to scrappin', the men would win every time. Every. Single. Time. No matter how many times you ran the experiment, the result would be the same. That is reality.
<SNIP>

Reminds me of one of my favorite Letterkenny scenes…

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
For those who wondered what happened.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Watched 1.5 episodes of S4.

That series met the definition of, "jumped the shark."

Only watched S3 through its completion because daughter’s boyfriend is in the last few episodes (one of the Indians on horseback)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m OK with it getting cancelled. Watched, and enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2, but ejected halfway through Season 3. The real world storyline wasn’t interesting for me. Watched Season 4 as the early reviews said it was a lot better than Season 3, and it was fine. Made it to the end. The main reason I don’t mind it being cancelled is that the story seemed over. Mankind is doomed and the robots in the real world are destroyed, so there’s really nothing left. Not really interested in seeing some kind of reset in the Sublime.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I made it through season 3, barely... Season 1 had promise but they ruined it in Season 2 with the girl power theme and leaving the park. Season 3 was sh*t, haven't even thought about watching season 4. I'll wait for the Drinker's review. Big Grin

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post