Find
Notify
Tools

Westworld Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys catch that episode last night? Whoever is picking the tunes is killin' it.

The dystopian future as portrayed in Westworld is to me an entirely believable place. Most film portrayals of future societies have always felt unreal, but Westworld seems to capture our likely trajectory.

Pretty neat trick to be on the bleeding edge of cool by using a twenty year old electroclash song.

Seriously, whatever you think of the story line, the production design and soundtrack for this season are top notch.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Just shows how timeless some artist music truly is.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to watch this recently but I have no clue what's going on. Is this one of those shows that you have to watch from the beginning to get?

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've been trying to watch this recently but I have no clue what's going on. Is this one of those shows that you have to watch from the beginning to get?

Goose5,

Yes, it does build up from the season 1 and 2 for this season. Sorry no spoilers here. They do like to have 2 timelines throughout and you need to pay attention to that.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Enjoying it. I want to see the Dolores vs. Maeve duel.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched both previous seasons and the first three episodes of Season 3, but haven’t had any real desire to watch episodes 4 and 5. Just not feeling it this season.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys catch that episode last night? Whoever is picking the tunes is killin' it.

The dystopian future as portrayed in Westworld is to me an entirely believable place. Most film portrayals of future societies have always felt unreal, but Westworld seems to capture our likely trajectory.

Pretty neat trick to be on the bleeding edge of cool by using a twenty year old electroclash song.

Yes, they completely nailed it!

The only thing flickering for me is that Dolores keeps reminding me of Carrie-Ann Moss’s character in Matrix with her slicked back hair and black outfits. I assume it’s intentional.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
The only thing flickering for me is that Dolores keeps reminding me of Carrie-Ann Moss’s character in Matrix with her slicked back hair and black outfits. I assume it’s intentional.

Maybe the Woman in Black? I thought of that too, maybe William finally got to her. Think about that for a moment.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Haven’t seen it, but will definitely look into it- thanks!

"Trust, but verify."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Ya gotta see it all. One might as well start reading Crime and Punishment at page 200.

Regarding the music, I think this would make a great tune for the last scene in an episode and then continue over the credits. Another 20 year old song.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

My new neighbors know when a Dolores-scene comes on, given my capable subwoofer Big Grin

This Westworld future, with a corporation's usage of human patterning and prediction models to influence a persons career and life is so plausible, it's scary.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Enjoying it. I want to see the Dolores vs. Maeve duel.

It won't be that simple. At least, I hope it won't. This isn't Superman v. Batman.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I agree Para. The music has always been good, but this season is the best.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, I really believe that music can make or break a show/movie. It can turn it from hokey to amazing with the right subtlety.
It really sets a mood.

"Trust, but verify."

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Oct. 5, 2016 +++LINK+++

Why You’ll Hear Modern Songs Playing on Westworld
By Jennifer Vineyard

When you’re watching Westworld, pay special attention to the player piano in the saloon — at key moments, it could kick in a little Soundgarden, Rolling Stones, or even Radiohead for the paranoid androids and human guests inhabiting its world. It might seem both thrilling and a bit disconcerting when you first hear modern music in the Wild West setting, and that’s the point, according to show composer Ramin Djawadi, who also scores the music on Game of Thrones.

“The show has an anachronistic feel to it,” he explained to Vulture. “It’s a Western theme park, and yet it has robots in it, so why not have modern songs? And that’s a metaphor in itself, wrapped up in the overall theme of the show.”

The player piano itself is a kind of robot, playing songs on demand at preprogrammed moments, presumably controlled by the humans at command central. (Although, in actuality, by Westworld’s showrunner, Jonathan Nolan.) Sometimes, as in the show’s premiere episode, the player piano will repeat the show’s theme, just as the other robotic hosts repeat scripted dialogue on their narrative loops. “It’s like Groundhog Day,” Djawadi said. “You get the great shot of the player spinning up, and then the shot of Teddy in the train starting up again, and you get the theme each time he walks into the saloon.”

But at other times in the loop, the player piano starts to play a reduction of “Black Hole Sun,” or lead into an orchestral version of “Paint It Black,” which underscores the unsettling truth about the saloon and the park — it’s not the Wild West, but a re-creation of it. Even if a guest tries to become immersed in this world, the music will undermine it. “What’s so great about using these pieces instead of the score is that they are known melodies, which enhances the idea that this is all scripted,” Djawadi said. “‘Paint It Black’ happens during a really big action scene, and it has all these great ups and downs — the shooting, the talking — and so I bring it down and then back up a bit, which was a lot of fun to arrange for the orchestra.”

At the moment, Djawadi is continuing to write and arrange the music for the final episodes, but as Westworld’s season progresses, he’ll return to be Vulture’s guide to the music used in the show, following each episode. “Right now, some of the episodes are blurring into each other!” he laughed. “I’m still tweaking them.”

And another, better interview,too long to add here but much more info about the music and why.
***LINK***

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Delores = Voldemort. Discuss.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite parts of last night’s episode was when Maeve kind of rolled her eyes at Delores‘ dramatic escape jump. About 27:00 min in.
What an awesome finale. So intense.

I may have to binge watch the whole thing again now.

"Trust, but verify."

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IMO, S3 was the weakest of the 3. The finale wasn't bad, but S3 just didn't seem to flow as well as the prior seasons.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
IMO, S3 was the weakest of the 3. The finale wasn't bad, but S3 just didn't seem to flow as well as the prior seasons.

I am about 6 episodes in, and it seems slow,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap!!! The music in season three episode five is so apropos ... The Theme to Love Story during an intense gunfight for example.

And the ending music for the finale... Pink Floyd's Brain Damage as an instrumental at first and then fades into Pink Floyd with lyrics.

Love the concept of this show, and how they play in the shades of grey instead of making it black and white as to morality.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post