New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westworld Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
The premier is about to start on HBO. Hoping it's another great series.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched it. It looks like it is going to be really good. I have the dvr set to record the series.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am intrigued. The cast is good, and it looks to have a promising story line.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just like Jurassic Park, but with androids.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Pretty excited as well. I loved the movie with Yul Brynner & James Brolin as a kid, and the follow-up movie, Futureworld (though not as much), and the tv series (Beyond Westworld).

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of "Vice" with Bruce Willis.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
That first episode was fantastic.

I have very high hopes for this.

I have never seen the movie, or the other tv show. So I didn't have any idea what to expect.

I also liked the music selection. "Paint it Black" instrumental was awesome foreshadowing there.

I will be watching this.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun on the player piano?

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:

Yep. Seems to be a thing in this series with music from our time being played on piano.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Watched it last time. Interesting.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I kind of wish they wouldn't have problems with the park in the first episode. I'd have liked to have seen more of what it was like when it was running like it is designed.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the pilot. Well worth recording the 10 episode run. A lot of great AZ (Monument Valley) footage.

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night, excited for the series. How can you not with Anthony Hopkins in a lead role? Some interesting foreshadowing with the conversation between the Brit and the woman about how management has a different idea for the park than the clients & shareholders.

Hard to believe the bad host, Hector, is the same actor that played Xerxes in 300. And I believe I'm already in love with his blonde sidekick.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I had to watch it again as I was half way dozing the first time.
The plot/characters is a bit complicated so getting a grasp initially is important.
Nevertheless I like it so far. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched the paint it black part. The music was perfect.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
One thing I'm confused about: if the hosts shoot at the newcomers and are shocked when they don't die, wouldn't that cause more issues in their programming?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
so is everyday for the hosts the same until a newcomer intervenes?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if you've yet to see the pilot and if you want an interesting experience watching it, do what I did and stumble on to it about 15 or 20 minutes in.

Being familiar with the film upon which this series is based, I managed to piece it together as I went. I have to say that I am impressed. Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and the superb character actor Jeffrey Wright kept my attention long enough for me to decide to give this series a chance.

My impression is that the show's creators are paying their audience the supreme compliment of not talking down to them. From the little I've seen so far, the show's creators seem to be assuming that the viewers are a bit more sophisticated than average.

The one thing I didn't like- and I really don't like it- was the scene in which the bandits came riding into town draped in blankets, then proceed to shoot up the town, Spaghetti Western style. I really hope they've got that stuff out of their system. It seemed very much out of place.

So, the tech asks Dolores if she would ever hurt a living thing and she says no, of course not. And then we see the very last shot of the pilot. As I said, the show's creators are paying its viewers a great compliment, because not only does it reveal her lie, it explains why the sheriff of the posse ummm halted.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Quite a few instances of using the fly (to swat or not to swat?) as the clue as to whether or not someone was a host or a newcomer. Nothing groundbreaking, but it worked well, imo, and was the perfect ending to the episode. Perhaps a Psycho reference?

I thought the spaghetti western scene was over the top on purpose, as it was used by the creators to "clean up" the infected hosts. So it made sense that they couldn't miss and were just blowing all of their targets away... it was all in the script. Until someone had to be a hero...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:

It was great. I love little details such as this and it really brings a show together for me. Such a small thing that was probably missed by a high percentage of the viewers but for those of us that cuaght it....wow!

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post