SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Edward Snowden movie on Amazon Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edward Snowden movie on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Watched it tonight. Surprise, surprise, Hollywood casts him as a hero.

I'm ambivalent.

On the one hand, what he exposed was absolutely illegal surveillance on US citizens and others. That aspect is pretty clear-cut and needed to be exposed.

On the other hand, I have two huge issues with his actions:

1. He took an oath when he received his clearance(s) to protect that information. Having had the odd clearance myself, I know a little bit about the paperwork that has to be signed. In my mind, that's an equally clear-cut violation of the law and his ethical responsibilities.

2. By exposing the existence of the program, it seems pretty obvious to me that he did significant damage to our overall ability to protect this country from people who would destroy it.

In balance he is, in my opinion, a traitor and a criminal and should be prosecuted as such. Whether he was justified from a purely ethical standpoint is less clear.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I dont think he's a hero, I do think he half kept his oath to protect the constitution a la the 4th amendment. It's an odd position to be in and I am glad I didnt have to make it.

He knew going to his superiors they would squash it and it would go nowhere. I've been in the same "circumstances" where you know nothing will happen for reporting the misdeeds. The option I took was to quit. If Snowden quit it sure woldnt have fixed the issue.

As far as damage to the country I think its hard to say. I knew a few years after the internet came out swirling rumors about "carnivore" the surveillance program. I just figured they are always watching. Case i point Bin Laden was only using couriers and no phones. If a guy "in a cave" in Afghanistan can figure it out I'd venture to guess most criminals can.

Tough for me to armchair this one but I think he weighed his options and looked at what happened to William Binny and that guided his decision a bit.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Citizenfour (2014) is a good watch. One of Laura Poitras's post-9/11 America trilogy - My Country, My Country (2006), and The Oath (2010) being the other two. You're probably talking about the oliver stone film, which I won't be seeing.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post