SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dire Straits Band
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dire Straits Band Login/Join 
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Best thing they ever did IMHO.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PSDfKkUqRyY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I gotta agree. This is my favorite song by them.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Wooed many a maiden to the Telegraph Road CD. It was my first CD.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Knopfler did an album with Chet Atkins, Neck and Neck. Two of the best playing together. Recommended.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lonestar outlaw
posted Hide Post
They sure did zoom and give a listen to I'll see you in my dreams its an instrumental with both mark and chet playing its great

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
A wee little taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdThfseSkQ

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan for years.
The Indigo Girls did a good cover of Romeo and Juliet.

Have you ever seen the movie "Hot Fuzz"? When a local actor is killed after a disastrous performance of "Romeo and Juliet", he is found dead in a car accident. When one of the suspects (Timothy Dalton) rolls by, Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet" is playing on his radio.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you got rid of the "hr" and dire straits has alot cool tunes.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Huge Knopfler fan here......

Two of their best
skip forward to 9:30 and listen to the Strat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3btVhwr48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJ0qS0NkZ0&t=40s

He knows when to play a note and when to not play. Not every note has to be loud or a riff.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, really liked them.
Mark K has a great style and is a pro at what he does with a guitar.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whats not to like or enjoy ?

they do wonderful work

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
For the saxaphone enthusiast, “Your Latest Trick” is pretty good.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Mark K has a great style and is a pro at what he does with a guitar.

One of my musical regrets is not driving 4 hours to Boothbay Harbor, ME, to see Mark play a small venue. Apparently one of his close friends got him to play a benefit show there (library, IIRC). Should have done it even with the necessary hotel room and 4 hours back in the morning.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I wasn't much of a fan of Brothers in Arms, in particular Money For Nothing. I loved their earlier songs, Skateaway, Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing. I also liked his guitar work on Dylan's Infidel album.

Funny, I really like that album (cd), but agree with you, Money for Nothing does not belong in that album. Too "Top 40"

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Mark Knopfler is a genius.

For the last couple of months I’ve been working hard at playing (both electric and acoustic) in his style. Seemingly simple riffs turn out to be much more difficult than I imagined. Fingering is counter-intuitive with lots of rub your belly, tap your head-type hurdles.

He has long been among my 5 favorite guitar players. I believe he’s simply my absolute favorite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw them in concert at a big school gymnasium in Germany (or what was then the Federal Republic of Germany) in May 1979. Knopfler announced they would be doing some songs off a new album they had coming out, "Communique'".

I remember it being one of those rare performances where the band sounds just as good live as they do on the stereo. (You guys remember stereos, right?)

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Mark Knopfler is a genius.

For the last couple of months I’ve been working hard at playing (both electric and acoustic) in his style. Seemingly simple riffs turn out to be much more difficult than I imagined. Fingering is counter-intuitive with lots of rub your belly, tap your head-type hurdles.

He has long been among my 5 favorite guitar players. I believe he’s simply my absolute favorite.

Get that thumb going! 'Get Lucky' is the song that really clicked for me and I've been more successful with learning more of his licks after learning that one. 'Song for Sonny Liston' is another favorite.

The hardest part is the phrasing. I'm still working on Sultans, but trying to string it all together as smoothly as he does it is what's difficult.

I'm currently trying to learn the licks from 'Walk of Life', especially the alternating thumb and index pattern that he plays underneath.

There's a guy on YT by the name of Pavel Fomenkov that has a lot of tutorial videos that have been tremendously helpful.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tigereye313, i started playing bare fingered long ago, mostly emulating my guitar hero. I probably didn’t go about it correctly and was just using thumb and index finger. I since came to understand he primarily uses thumb, index and middle, when playing electric. He’ll use all 5 playing acoustic, and Romeo and Juliet is a great example of a song in which he does.

I’ll look for the videos you’ve recommended. I’ve found Jody Worrell, Justin Guitar, and Brian from Active Melody all helpful for different types of things that Mark plays.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've seen the Justin Guitar ones, but I'll have to check out the others as well, thanks for the tip! Smile

The thumb thing is the same style that Merle Travis invented and Chet Atkins perfected. It's maddening at first!

I've found that a lot of his rhythm playing is almost a palm muted clawhammer style, alternating with the thumb then hitting the strings with the top of the nails on a down-stroke.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I've found that a lot of his rhythm playing is almost a palm muted clawhammer style, alternating with the thumb then hitting the strings with the top of the nails on a down-stroke.

The Active Melody lesson covers Knopfler-style rhythm, interspersed with lead licks. He shows you the tops-of-the-nails downstrokes with left hand muting to get the “pop” sound reminiscent of the lead-in to Money for Nothing (it’s not a lesson for that song though).

Picture of P226_operator
posted Hide Post
In my top five favorite bands for sure!

Sultians of Swings
Money for Nothing
Walk of Life
One World
So Far Away
Calling Elvis
Heavy Fuel

Just to name a few...

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post