SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dire Straits Band
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dire Straits Band Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I wasn't much of a fan of Brothers in Arms, in particular Money For Nothing. I loved their earlier songs, Skateaway, Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing. I also liked his guitar work on Dylan's Infidel album.

I'm with you, but they were still a good band. Not every song is a winner. Money For Nothing seemed designed to be a FM radio hit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Romeo and Juliet is a good song, but good heavens that video is pure cheese.

I love the song, didn't even bother to watch to vid. Sorry, don't let it ruin the song for you.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Best thing they ever did IMHO.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I would have paid big bucks to see Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton when they toured together. Two of my favorite performers for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Knopfler is hands down my favorite artist. His solo albums are all different, but each one is filled with great songs and no filler. Im hoping for a new album and tour this year or next.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Dire Straits to this day.

One of my big regrets was being in France in 1982 and finding out Dire Straits was playing in a local club. I managed to score tickets, but got violently ill and could not make it.

I was able to see Dire Straits in 1985.

As JHE mentioned, Knopfler has had a great solo career; I am an even bigger fan of his solo work.

I have seen Knopfler here in Chicago twice (2010 and 2015).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Dire Straits is superb. Sultans still has some of my favorite guitar work, bar none.

Knopfler's solo albums are outstanding as well, particularly Privateering. Such a variety of styles.

Looking forward to his upcoming album as well.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Love 'em! Got the Brothers in Arms album, the whole album is good.

Not a bad song on the whole ablum...I'm listening to it now... Why Worry just started Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Mark Knopfler's guitar playing. Pure awesome!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a handful of songs that actually move me. Band of Brothers is one of them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Knopfler's playing with Chet Atkins. Search YouTube and you'll find tons of stuff. Neck And Neck was an album the two recorded together.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sultans of Swing is one of those songs, that in your head, you know every note of the guitar solo.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Knopfler's playing with Chet Atkins. Search YouTube and you'll find tons of stuff. Neck And Neck was an album the two recorded together.

Sailor1911 did on page 1.

Extreme talent! I've never seen Mark, but hope to someday.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Telegraph Road is my favorite. First album is great too!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I wasn't much of a fan of Brothers in Arms, in particular Money For Nothing. I loved their earlier songs, Skateaway, Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing. I also liked his guitar work on Dylan's Infidel album.

I'm with you, but they were still a good band. Not every song is a winner. Money For Nothing seemed designed to be a FM radio hit.

MFN got played into the ground on FM radio, and MTV. I still change the radio station when it comes on. SoS has got to be one of the all-time greatest rock songs.

One good song possibly not yet mentioned was Industrial Disease. It's fun for the lyrics more than the music, IMO.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3X3rKtruSg

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of both Dire Straits and Knopfler. Before ditching Pandora his was my go to station.

I really enjoy his DVD/CD with Emmy Lou Harris, what a pair!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Mark appears to be a nice guy also:

Linky

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
Mark appears to be a nice guy also:

Linky

Very cool.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Saw them in '85. Still like their music. Was a little put off by Knopfler snubbing the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame when the band was inducted.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Money for Nothing on MTV convinced me to buy my first CD and CD player....

I recorded that on VHS back in '83 and played it 'till the tape was ruined.

And in spite of that, I still can't do anything cool with a Yo-Yo...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lonestar outlaw
posted Hide Post
Hi sigmonkey
I got my first cd player in 83 too it was a Magnavox so primitive now geeeze they have come along way

my first cd was the first cd they put simply entiled dire straits and still have it to this day

Man that brings back so many memories back then

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post