SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    James Tarr Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Tarr Books Login/Join 
posted
It may have been on this forum that I first heard about Tarr's book "Whorl". I downloaded it on Kindle and really enjoyed it. Great story and good gunplay.

Tarr writes for several gun publications and appears on some shooting-related television shows. I enjoy his gun writing. I don't agree with every opinion he has, but they're usually well thought-out. Plus, he's kind of a smartass, in a funny way.

I recently finished his book "Dogsoldiers", which deals with a civil war in America. It's not a happy read (and shouldn't be), but it's damned good. Tarr's from Detroit, and most of the action takes place there. Some of the description of streets, buildings, etc, can get distracting, but they don't detract from the story. It just means that Tarr is very familiar with the terrain in which the story is set. The action becomes very intense as the story progresses. Plus it's Detroit, so it's kind of dystopian to begin with.

I was going to read "Waiting for the Kick", which is the sequel to "Whorl", but thought I'd re-read "Whorl" to refresh my memory. It's just as good the second time around.

Tarr is up there with Stephan Hunter when it comes to incorporating guns and shooting in his stories. Highly recommended!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to check it out
I am between books right now and have been looking for something that grabs my attention

I just looked and saw that most of James Tarr books are in Kindle Unlimited so I have no reason not to give it a try.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you would like an non-fiction one he co-authored: "Carnivore". It deals with a Bradley commander (Dillard Johnson) and the push to Baghdad in 2003. If you've ever read official Army histories of the campaign, you'll be familiar with the guy and his battlefield actions.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post