SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Thirteenth Doctor Regenerates Into A Female!!??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thirteenth Doctor Regenerates Into A Female!!?? Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:

There has been talk for years at conventions etc. about the doctor regenerating as woman. The current timing screams SJW crap but this was discussed years ago by the writers and fans.

Well, to be fair, when since 2005 would it have NOT been 'pandering' or "SJW Timing" for a woman Doctor? There have only been 4 Doctors in the last 10 seasons, and if it really is inevitable to have a woman Doctor, why not now?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
The Christmas special was done as joke, where the doctor regenerated as a woman. The doctor in the this special was Rowin Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Black Adder), so the comedy slant was meant to be obvious.

There has been talk for years at conventions etc. about the doctor regenerating as woman. The current timing screams SJW crap but this was discussed years ago by the writers and fans.

I am willing to give it an chance. Hopefully, the writing for the episodes will be good.

Just my take,

Mike (Sci-fi Geek)

What the heck are you talking about? The Doctor in the 2017 Christmas episode was Peter Capaldi, who regenerated into Jodie Whittaker, and it was no joke. Rowan Atkinson played the Doctor in a 1999 movie called Doctor Who-The Curse of Fatal Death, which was made for charity.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think going forward its going to be a lot different - Moffatt is no longer the show runner and the season was delayed by almost a year for them to get their acts together - the fact that its almost 2 entire show seasons late doesn't bode well

I quit watching after the 3rd episode of Capaldi - entirely unintelligible and frankly some of the shows were just plain crap - I think Moffatt was tired and out of ideas but not out of contract

I'll give Whittaker a shot - Tennant was my favorite, didn't really appreciate Smith until near the end as it seemed to be the Amy and Rory show...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If they go back to the story quality of 9/10/11, it can be good.

The last season of Capaldi was just painful to watch. He took a while to get going in his first season. His second season was pretty good. Then it just went to crap.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got through 1.5 seasons of capaldi and quit.
My kids quit after Smith.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I think going forward its going to be a lot different - Moffatt is no longer the show runner and the season was delayed by almost a year for them to get their acts together - the fact that its almost 2 entire show seasons late doesn't bode well

I quit watching after the 3rd episode of Capaldi - entirely unintelligible and frankly some of the shows were just plain crap - I think Moffatt was tired and out of ideas but not out of contract

I'll give Whittaker a shot - Tennant was my favorite, didn't really appreciate Smith until near the end as it seemed to be the Amy and Rory show...

I have to wait for it show up on Amazon, so that's probably another year even.

Yeah, the last few episodes were Smith's best ones. Tom Baker was my first Doctor, and nobody since has been as good. Tennant is probably the best of the rebooted Doctors, but still not up to Baker's standard. Never did care for Capaldi.

I'll give Ms. Whittaker a shot too. I guess I'm a little more open minded now than I used to be (although I never did forgive BSG for turning Starbuck and Boomer into girls).

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

The last season of Capaldi was just painful to watch. He took a while to get going in his first season. His second season was pretty good. Then it just went to crap.

Did you see Capaldi's last Christmas special, "Twice Upon a Time?" He was OUTSTANDING. That was the one where he met the first Doctor in Antarctica. Capaldi was funny, clever, charming, with a great plot to work with... everything the show could have been for 3 entire seasons had it not been for Moffat's depressing/dark/edgy/horror-inspired plots.

I find it hard to believe that Moffat was responsible for most of the last 2 seasons, but also did "The Girl in the Fireplace" (one of the best Who episodes of all time). He lost his way over time. He had some great stuff, but he should have quit years ago.

As far as waiting 2 years to continue - Moffat left a big gap. Maybe it's a sign that they are trying to slow down and do it right, instead of rushing forward with a poor product. . .

I don't care what color/gender the Doctor is. All I know is that with good writing and a half-way competent cast, it will be a good show. With crap writing, not even Tennant or Smith would be able to save it.

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Did you see Capaldi's last Christmas special, "Twice Upon a Time?" He was OUTSTANDING. That was the one where he met the first Doctor in Antarctica.

In many ways, Peter Capaldi was just like the First Doctor and I think it was an intentional homage.

Does anyone know how I can get caught up on the Capaldi era to present? BBCA seems to have devolved into the Star Trek Next The Generation Rerun Channel and I can't find on-demand episodes from Capaldi anywhere.

I watched him about halfway into the second season, then got busy with life and babies and all that and have not been able to get caught up. I want to start over from Capaldi's first season, all the Christmas Specials etc up to when he regenerates. Amazon?

I'm also looking forward to the new TARDIS, which has apparently regenerated again too. I hated Capaldi's dark and gloomy Space Cathedral TARDIS, my favorite after the classic white interiors of the Baker/Davison years was Matt Smith's cool, bright multi-level TARDIS.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
You can search on DailyMotion's website. They have most of the latest seasons. That's where I go when I miss an episode on tv.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I loved Capaldi as The Doctor. I hated the show writing that handicapped him. The saving grace was his interplay with The Mistress, who might be the best new(ish) character since the relaunch.

I'm not feeling the new Doctor. Not because he is now a she, but because I just don't like what I've seen so far. I'll give it a shot and maybe it will surprise me. I hated Smith at first and he grew on me towards the end.

My order of cool is Tennent, Capaldi, Baker, Smith, Eccleston, everybody else. Eccleston takes a hit for only doing one season and leaving in a huff.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Did you see Capaldi's last Christmas special, "Twice Upon a Time?" He was OUTSTANDING. That was the one where he met the first Doctor in Antarctica. Capaldi was funny, clever, charming, with a great plot to work with... everything the show could have been for 3 entire seasons had it not been for Moffat's depressing/dark/edgy/horror-inspired plots.

I find it hard to believe that Moffat was responsible for most of the last 2 seasons, but also did "The Girl in the Fireplace" (one of the best Who episodes of all time). He lost his way over time. He had some great stuff, but he should have quit years ago.

As far as waiting 2 years to continue - Moffat left a big gap. Maybe it's a sign that they are trying to slow down and do it right, instead of rushing forward with a poor product. . .

I don't care what color/gender the Doctor is. All I know is that with good writing and a half-way competent cast, it will be a good show. With crap writing, not even Tennant or Smith would be able to save it.

The Girl In The Fireplace is the episode I tell people to watch if they've never watched Doctor Who before. I did see the last special, and it was good. I also liked Heaven Sent/Hell Bent. The last season just felt really over-the-top preachy, without a good plot to back it up.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
she is a good actress, really liked her in Broadchurch,
Yes, she did well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post