SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Thirteenth Doctor Regenerates Into A Female!!??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thirteenth Doctor Regenerates Into A Female!!?? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I've seen every episode since 1963, and never thought the Doctor could be a female. And yet, here she is!

I just can't wrap my head around this. Jodie Whittaker seems to be a capable actress, but still, a female!

What do you guys think? Linky

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan on and off for about the last 40 years.... kind of cool.... but since they keep repeating the same themes .... I find it best just to tune in every three or four years for a bing watch.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Well, most screen writers are SJW's, so this was coming sooner or later.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was inevitable. Has there been a Doctor of color yet? If not, I thought that would have been first. Given the flexible nature of backstory, no strong reason against it. IMHO.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Should’ve made her a ginger.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
she is a good actress, really liked her in Broadchurch,

and I think she was in a Black Mirror episode,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching after Tom Baker left. I think he filled the niche of the doctor the best. When he left the show, I just couldn't imagine anyone else playing the role.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with it. As stated, why not, in a universe where Time Lords swap bodies whenever the plot requires. . .

I heard people speculating about Idris Ilba (or however you spell his name) playing The Doctor. THAT would have been different.

As long as the stories are good, I'll watch. The past two seasons were mostly disappointing to me, as they went away from the joyful/light/enjoyable plots towards "Everybody Dies"/depressing/horror themes.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching after a few episodes of Capaldi. I thought this female doctor thing had happened long ago.

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I thought this female doctor thing had happened long ago.

Romana (Lalla Ward) was a time lord.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

no, I mean this one. Wasn't this already in the news a year or two ago?

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Female time lords have come and gone. The last incarnation of The Master was female, and well done. One episode had a Time Lord that regenerated from a white male to a black female. The concepts have been in the universe for awhile.

My choices would have first been from Doctor Strange (Cumberbatch, Swinton or Ejiofor). I’m not as familiar with this one, but I’ll give it a try. Changing it up gives opportunities for different stories, something you need over 55 years.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

no, I mean this one. Wasn't this already in the news a year or two ago?

Her first appearance was on the 2017 Christmas episode.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I'm ok with it. As stated, why not, in a universe where Time Lords swap bodies whenever the plot requires. . .

I heard people speculating about Idris Ilba (or however you spell his name) playing The Doctor. THAT would have been different.

As long as the stories are good, I'll watch. The past two seasons were mostly disappointing to me, as they went away from the joyful/light/enjoyable plots towards "Everybody Dies"/depressing/horror themes.

hmmmm

not a huge Dr Who fan but have watched some episodes,

I can't imagine Luther (BBC Series Idris was in) playing the Dr,,,,

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why not?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idris would be quite the physically imposing Doctor, which would open some avenues for the stories.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I liked all 4 'new' Doctors; Christopher Eccleson, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi. They all were VERY different, and their individual characteristics drastically changed the way the stories went. Tennant is my favorite, and I thought Capaldi was a close second, except Capaldi was burdened with too many crap plots. Into the Dalek and Mummy on the Orient Express were outstanding, IMO. Others were just horror-movie crap.

Idris would be very different. He's a great actor, and it would be interesting to see how he would interpret the character. . .

Likewise, the companions all bring their own 'flavor' to the story. Bill Potts (the last one) was pretty good, even though she had an alternate lifestyle (they didn't beat us over the head with SJW crap like a US show would have). She was hindered, as Capaldi was, with lousy plots, but she had character (until they killed her, of course). (This REALLY bothered me because the first time they went adventuring, the Doctor promised her that inside the TARDIS was the safest place in the universe and no harm would ever befall her *inside* it - she died outside the TARDIS).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Why not?

because every time I saw him I would be wondering where Alice is.... Wink

not that he would not do a fantastic job,, he is a great actor ,

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and have been since the days of reruns of Jon Pertwee on PBS late at night. I have mixed feelings about this, I am prepared to give it a chance but it smacks of pandering and SJW-ness to me so I'm not sure how this will go.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
The Christmas special was done as joke, where the doctor regenerated as a woman. The doctor in the this special was Rowin Atkinson (Mr. Bean, Black Adder), so the comedy slant was meant to be obvious.

There has been talk for years at conventions etc. about the doctor regenerating as woman. The current timing screams SJW crap but this was discussed years ago by the writers and fans.

I am willing to give it an chance. Hopefully, the writing for the episodes will be good.

Just my take,

Mike (Sci-fi Geek)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post