SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
This is a direct sequel to the 2014 Godzilla and 2017 Kong: Skull Island movies. Though Kong is not in this movie, his existence is acknowledged throughout the movie and the upcoming Godzilla vs Kong (2020) is heavily promoted through in-universe propaganda during the end-credits.

I'm glad I saw this in the theater only for the sound design and visual effects; however, the plot to this movie is a total shit show.

I know that several people on this board dislike the notion of environtmentalism being used as a plot device. Well, the plot to this movie broke both legs jumping feet first into the "humans are destroying the earth" foxhole and is hobbling along on the crutch that only Godzilla and the other Titans can save it. (I never saw the trailers so I don't know how many Titans are revealed, but there are a few.) An eco-terrorist partners up with a scientist to revive the Titans, hoping they'll promote spontaneous regrowth of forests and repopulation of fauna while also destroying technology and reducing the human population to a manageable number. Only thing wrong with this plan? They wake up the wrong Titan and now need Godzilla to bail their asses out of the fire.

There's a cool nod to the original Mothra (1961). And the end credits actually state that the Titans were portrayed by themselves, which is funny. But what is an exciting action movie is riddled so full of plot holes and imaginary physics, it's hard to recommend for anyone to see.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Orguss,

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I will see this movie!!!!

as soon as it hits cable or Netflix

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I start to lose interest in anything as soon as they raise the "climate change" flag.

But...as a lifelong Godzilla fan Ill go see it simply for Godzilla. I don't look for a lot of story or pick it apart too much. Escapist entertainment.

Didn't see the Skull Island offering but the previous iteration was OK. Not enough Godzilla, which I heard this one corrects that. Some of us just enjoy seeing mega titans battling it out on the big screen with the sound set on 11.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the 1950s Godzilla. Japanese running for their lives!!! The special effects being horrible were really entertaining.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I enjoy the 1950s Godzilla. Japanese running for their lives!!! The special effects being horrible were really entertaining.

I'm a big fan of the 50's and 60's horror/monster movies. Ridiculous generally, lousy f/x, but some how entertaining.

Just watched "Day of the Triffids" a week ago with a friend who had never seen it. STILL enjoyable all these years later! LOL.

I can recall seeing the original Godzilla as maybe a ten year old at a kiddies matinee, circa 1960 or 61. I LOVED it. A BIG dinosaur! NOTHING stops it! Look at it WRECKING everything! The stuff kids love. LOL.

"The Thing from Another Wold", "Them". "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the originals not the remakes...as good as it gets.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
definitely an entertaining genre for all the mentioned reasons

remember watching lots of the originals in black and white on Saturday afternoons growing up...

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it! Dont go see it if you don't have a sense of imagination!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It was #1 in the box office last week. $49 MIL.

posted Hide Post
Fun for kids who liked 2014 Godzilla? I've heard it drags and only has monster fights in the end.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I just got back. It's decently impressive (and loud) on an IMAX screen. It gets very numbing after awhile.

Modern blockbuster Godzilla movies are so epic in scope these days, the storytelling and action gets way too broad for me. I prefer more intimate moments, like in King Kong Skull Island - a tad more character development, and a tad more grand guignol: giant spiders impaling people with their legs, guys being thrown into helicopter rotor blades, that sort of thing.

Also, as a misanthrope, I usually side with the "villains" in these movies. Humans do ruin everything. No one ever offers a counterargument to the bad guys' dogmatic speeches, so they typically win me over.

That film sure liked the V-22 Osprey. I guess helicopters are too passé? Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LastCubScout,

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
"Let them fight"

If it has more Godzilla I will go see it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I are seeing it this weekend. And, as far as the enviro-metal-ist angle its to be expected. These people are not capable of anything else.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Sucked more than a gas thief during an oil embargo.

Aside from the obvious of having a giant lizard as the title character, it had no story pacing, characters had almost no development aside from the daughter and her mother, but even then it was paltry.

Whitford and Thomas Middleditch seemed to share the same comic-relief nerdy scientist guy. Ice Cube's kid is there as some omnipresent soldier guy. The entire military seems to be commanded by one bald, black chick as a colonel who not only commands all forces on sight, but goes on raids, too. I guess all of the money went into effects, so the characters had to be combined different actors.

Only things missing were a 12ft tall electric penguin and Miss Vanilla Whore

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
It was amazing you guys. Very true to the first Godzilla movie. And for yall expecting character development, I feel Godzilla and Mothra really developed. Because I know you aren't caring about the humans, because they are, and never will be, the main character of these movies. Since the support characters are generally terrible in all movies, I think the acting done by all parties was great. Since it wasn't about them.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. Its not high art its Godzilla.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
This movie would, as my brother commented, be 100% better if dubbed in Japanese and NOT subtitled.

That said, fighting monsters is awesome as shit!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The big criticism I had with the last one was Godzilla was in so little of the movie.

They fixed that and some.

I loved it

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Saw it with the family and really enjoyed it. I found it to be fairly consistent with old school Godzilla movies that were not so much about plot as they were about big battling monsters.

I liked some of the old school refences made, especially the "oxygen destroyer" weapon which of course was used to kill Godzilla in the original 1954 movie.

And in the credits, there is a clear indicator reinforcing that King Kong and Godzilla will be squaring off in the not too distant future.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed I didn't see Gamera, my favorite of the Japanese monsters. Used to watch those movies as a kid. Hopefully he'll show up in the future.

Also, I liked the inclusion of the twin scientists, but I kept waiting to see them sing to Mothra.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed I didn't see Gamera, my favorite of the Japanese monsters. Used to watch those movies as a kid. Hopefully he'll show up in the future.

Also, I liked the inclusion of the twin scientists, but I kept waiting to see them sing to Mothra.

I am a Gamera fan as well; word is they didn’t want a kerfluffle over one of each film companies to lose.

This teaser came out at the 2015 comicon efidently, but a film never got off the ground.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17brZrkOmKI

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post