SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down Login/Join 
posted
incredible performance

we talk about new vs. old music - just an amazing performance by a group of musicians putting out their best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM

was chasing the music rabbit last night on youtube and 're-discovered' this one reminding me of that level of musicianship

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
amazing...that performance never gets old

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Best and most accurate comment section:

I am not going to complain that they don't make music like this anymore. I am just happy it got made period.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some, Levon! Love The Band. Also love Robbie's guitar on this, even though it's understated. Beautiful tone; part the guitar, part Robbie's touch.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Get some, Levon! Love The Band. Also love Robbie's guitar on this, even though it's understated. Beautiful tone; part the guitar, part Robbie's touch.

Robbie and The Band are certainly the original and, perhaps, the best version. But many people and groups have covered this popular song. My favorite, despite her politics but because of her beautiful vibrato voice, is one of several performed by Joan Baez:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNirVqTepE

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's a great clip. Joan at her prettiest and most appealing, and a stirring rendition. But I easily prefer The Band's rougher and more raucous performance.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
A different yet very emotional version of this truly classic song.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance228:
amazing...that performance never gets old

You've got that right. I saw that in the theatre!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
http://theband.hiof.no/articles/dixie_viney_old.html

Mick Gold
Robertson’s songs went further than Dylan’s by going beyond metaphor and actually embodying the experience they sang about. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is not a song about the Confederacy, it is a song of the Confederacy. [4]

This was the track that came to be seen as most typical of The Band album. Levon sings the song in the persona of Virgil Kane, a Confederate ex-soldier who served on the Danville supply train until General Stoneman’s Union troops tore up the tracks [5] . Virgil was involved in the fall of the Confederate capital, Richmond in 1865. The final campaign of the Civil War was Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s defence of Richmond and Petersburg against the Union forces of Ulysses S. Grant.

Bruce Catton
A Federal army trying to take Richmond could never be entirely secure until the Confederates were deprived of all use of the (fertile and productive) Shenandoah Valley, and it was up to Sheridan to deprive them of it. Grant’s instructions were grimly specific. He wanted the rich farmlands so thoroughly despoiled that the place could no longer support a Confederate army; he told Sheridan to devastate the whole area so thoroughly that a crow flying across the Valley would have to carry its own rations. This Sheridan set out to do … and Total War began to be waged in full earnest … Few campaigns in the war aroused more bitterness than this one.

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/dixie_viney.html

David Powell
In the closing days of the war, Major General George Stoneman, as the commander of the East Tennessee district, oversaw a raid by a division of Union troops across the rugged Blue Ridge Mountians into northwest North Carolina and southwest Virginia. Their orders were not to fight battles but to punish and demoralize the Southern civilians. Stoneman, having previously served under General Sherman in the Georgia campaign, had learned Sherman's methods of "total war"-- the concept of targeting civilian as well as military objectives in order to destroy the enemy's will to resist. Stoneman's cavalry troops were still exacting revenge on the Southern civilians at the time that General Robert E. Lee was surrendering at Appomattox. Stoneman's forces plundered & destroyed tons of supplies, including foodstocks & grain, along with miles of railroad supply tracks. Even after the shooting war ended, they assisted in chasing down and capturing Confederate President Jefferson Davis. After the war, Stoneman remained in the regular army until he retired in 1871 at the rank of Colonel. He moved to California and lived on a large estate called "Los Robles" near Los Angeles. As a Democrat, he held several public offices and was Governor of the state from 1883 to 1887. Stoneman died on September 5, 1894 in Buffalo, New York. Even though Stoneman, on the surface, may appear to be just a footnote in the history of the Civil War, in that part of the U.S. where the borders of Tennessee, North Carolina & Virginia meet, his name lives in infamy. The exploits of his plundering cavalry troops in the last days of a defeated Confederacy are still a part of local legend. In this respect, I feel that Robbie Robertson succeeded in capturing this sentiment accurately in the song

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very informative

thanks for posting that

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
whew... Sometimes I forget how much I like Joan Baez...

i think I would like to see 3 other versions:

Little Big Town
Toby Keith and Willie
Pistol Annie

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post