SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bands from your youth - "discovered" decades later
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bands from your youth - "discovered" decades later Login/Join 
posted
Two bands that were around in my teens and 20s but that I barely knew of then come to mind for me: The Jesus and Mary Chain, and lately, Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music.

I guess we can thank iTunes and the internet, etc. What are some of yours, or that you essentially "rediscovered"?

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about re-discovered but, I pull in to the driveway Fri night and I hear all this music blaring from down the street. I get out and I recognize the song but, it's too far away, I keep walking towards it. The neighbor at the end of the block, their backyard faces my street, was having a party and was blasting Quiet Riot's Bang Your Head.

I had to laugh walking away, muttering that shit better not be cranked-up after 11.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Roxy Music.

Avalon was probably the best make-out (and whatever else) album ever produced back then.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Counting Crows. I hated them when they first came out but now I appreciate a lot of their songs.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
It took me 20+ years to 'get' Alice In Chains.
I never liked them much when they first came out, but now I love them.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
After forgetting about Electric Light Orchestra since the late 70s, I bought their CDs in the last several years and love listening to them.

This year, I have a renewed interest in Brian Eno, haven't listened to him much since college. Bought his remastered CDs Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Befroe And After Science, Another Green World.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helmet. They looked like a bunch of ROTC recruits. But, man, could they jam or what?

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I was never into rock music growing up. I was into new wave and electronic music. But I recently got Spotify for the gym and have been working out to rock playlists. Pearl Jam one of my new favorites.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Not so much specific bands but I'm starting to listen to more '60s rock and '70s pop.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post