SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    String Quartet Music -- Need A Playlist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

String Quartet Music -- Need A Playlist Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Considering forming a string quartet. Any recommendations for a repertoire would be appreciated.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Vivaldi's 4 Seasons but particularly the allegro portion of Spring. Definitely the most recognizable of his work.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Beethoven Opus 1 No. 18
Schubert "Death and the Maiden"

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The movie A Late Quartet (2012) has a great soundtrack.

A Late Quartet (2012) Soundtrack

One track listing:

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Any movie with Zigeunerweisen is a good movie.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Isn't it a law that a string quartet be able to play Pachelbel's Canon in D?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In San Diego you can rent a string quartet for a wedding; we did. You can look up their repertoire, but don't expect to see Beethoven' late quartets.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
In San Diego you can rent a string quartet for a wedding; we did. You can look up their repertoire, but don't expect to see Beethoven' late quartets.

Yeah...I had to do an analysis of one of his last string quartets, and you can hear some of his madness coming through the composition.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Isn't it a law that a string quartet be able to play Pachelbel's Canon in D?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Yep. I said "same 8 notes" before he did. Coincidentally, I used to play this on classical guitar, and felt sorry for my thumb playing the same 8 bass notes over and over.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Giuseppe Verdi
String Quartet in E minor

César Franck
String Quartet in D major

Edvard Grieg
Opus 27, in G minor

Edward Elgar
Opus 83, in E minor

Giacomo Puccini
“Crisantemi”

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to expand to string orchestra pieces, check out:

Serenade for Strings by Tchaikovsky

Holberg Suite by Grieg

Any of the Mozart Divertimentos for strings

Apollon Musagete by Stravinsky

Serenade for Strings by Dvorak

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post