SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    My boys have discovered Minecraft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My boys have discovered Minecraft Login/Join 
Quiet observer
posted
So my boys talked me into getting them Minecraft. Can someone tell me the point of this game, or give me some tips so I can help them? Thanks!

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Never understood the point but was really happy when my kids started playing it because they were creative and entertained regardless of the really poor (obsolete) graphics. IMO, it proves you do not need the latest technology to have fun and your imagination can do wonders without tech crouches.

Also my boys here in Argentina managed to play with another SF member kids in the US, no distance or boundaries for them.

All I need to understand about it. I still have a Minecraft gun (cardboard prop) lying elsewhere in the back room. Good memories.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
There is not really a point. the game consists of either "creative" mode or "survival". In creative, they have unlimited resources, can build pretty much anything, and don't have to fight off creatures (zombies, ghasts, etc.).

In survival, they have to obtain resources, build shelter, fight creatures, etc.

There is no guide book provided with the game - most kids learn how to build things by watching youtube, where other kids post up how to videos.

All in all, it is modern lego. Kids can build houses, palaces, and there are ways to play through servers with others.

As they get more advanced, there is coding - they can build powered doors, elevators, etc, which requires logic circuits and de-bugging.

My 10-year old daughter plays pretty much as much as I'll let her. She has built amazing structures. She started in creative, and now plays almost all in survival.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
Ok, the lego analogy makes sense. I'll have them stay in creative mode. And not let them attack each other. Lol
They almost had a fistfight when the younger one beat up his older brother's guy and took his stuff.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I never really understood Minecraft. It may be the ‘entry drug’ for younger players. They are mostly on to other stuff now.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My kids love it, but they're only allowed to use the non-online version.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thought it was a updated version of The Oregon Trail (with the same graphics).

I wonder if it can be played on an Apple IIe...

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
My two boys used to love it. They still play it from time to time but are now all into Fortnite.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You punch a tree and make a stick. You use the stick to whack a rock and make an axe. You use the axe to mine more rock, sticks, and metal to build stuff.

That's about it. It's legos in game form.

There are enemy skeletons and zombies if you dig too deeply, like the dwarves did in Tolkienland Razz

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
I was helping them on the crafting portion last night. My wife and I will be keeping an eye on them before they will be allowed online access.

Semper Fidelis

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
We definitely do NOT allow my son online activity on it, but i broke and gave it to him for christmas after a year or three of saying no. He loves it,too. But i dont get it either.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It's a sandbox game, the way most kids play it.

You can build entire islands, houses, bases, lairs, communities, cities, countries, per se. My sons had incredibly elaborate lairs with all kinds of traps and devices.

Played in the sandbox (just keep building) mode, I didn't see anything wrong with letting them play. Teaches patience.

Much better than finding them playing GTA.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I finally relented and let me 6 & 7 YO play starting a few months ago. They played a little at first, and kind of lost interest. Then I let them watch youtoob videos of people playing Minecraft. It really helps if they can see what others are doing in Minecraft. They play 2 -3 times per week. Not online though. I think it's a decent enough game for them.

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have been told Fortnite is now the latest and greatest. (Minecraft meets Call of Duty)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I finally relented and let me 6 & 7 YO play starting a few months ago. They played a little at first, and kind of lost interest. Then I let them watch youtoob videos of people playing Minecraft. It really helps if they can see what others are doing in Minecraft. They play 2 -3 times per week. Not online though. I think it's a decent enough game for them.

As mentioned above, there is no guide book. My daughter had to watch the youtubes to figure out how to build better things. I sat over her, and saw there was nothing in those to worry about.

her worlds are amazing. she built a whole stadium, part of disney world, and is working on a castle...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get to bed before it gets dark out...

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
We monitor the videos they watch on YouTube, so they'll be ok there.
I had to laugh. They kept digging holes and getting stuck. They are loving it, so I'll help them where I can.

Semper Fidelis

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It’s legos online

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

There is no guide book provided with the game - most kids learn how to build things by watching youtube, where other kids post up how to videos.

We went on vacation with some friends a few years ago. When we went back to the rental condo, their 12 or 13 year-old daughter wanted to do nothing but play minecraft and watch the online videos. I watched for a bit, not really getting the mystique, but then listened to one of the videos she was watching. The young man (or men?) that made it was extremely foul-mouthed as was the narrating player of the next two or three we tried. Her mom then put a stop to the videos!

Prescreening such videos as jjvgnslngr noted is defintely recommended for kids or younger teens.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post