SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "I will pay two hundred dollars to your father’s estate ..."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I will pay two hundred dollars to your father’s estate ..." Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Col. Stonehill:... when I have in my hand a letter from your lawyer absolving me of all liability from the beginning of the world to date.

Mattie Ross: I will take two hundred dollars for Judy, plus one hundred for the ponies and twenty-five dollars for the gray horse that Tom Chaney left. He was easily worth forty. And that is three hundred twenty-five dollars total.

Col. Stonehill: The ponies have no part in it! I will not buy them.

Mattie Ross: Then the price for Judy is three hundred twenty-five dollars.

Col. Stonehill: I would not pay three hundred and twenty-five dollars for winged Pegasus!

Just watched True Grit (the Coen Brothers version) again. What a great movie. I love John Wayne, and his True Grit performance was terrific. But, I have to say that this version is better than the original.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They tell me you are a man with true grit.
Enjoyed seeing the Indian kids getting kicked off the porch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The book is 'show off' good regarding dialogue and I always recommend it in these threads. The Coen brothers version is my preference. I do miss the speech of a 'writ for a rat' but understand why the scene may have been ommitted... respect for the Duke; and to create uncertainty in the viewer.

The music in the Coen Bro.s version is excellent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love both. I'm not a huge Coen Brother's fan, but I thought that version did justice to the book and didn't take away from the John Wayne version. I may watch both of them tomorrow back to back while I clean my Cowboy guns and reload!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Are...are we...negotiating again?

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post