SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Godless on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Godless on Netflix Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
Wife and I wrapped up the new Netflix series Godless last weekend.

It is a 7 episode western series.
If you like Deadwood and/or Hell on Wheels, you'll like this.

Rotten Tomatoes review

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it and liked it. Different but good. And Jeff Daniels did a great job.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I liked it. The story line is nothing new for western movies but it's pulled off pretty well with some good acting, updated social situations and creative presentation.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Would you say it stands on its own merits aside from the women centered plot line, or is it clearly an attempt to make women equal - again?

Those who pay attention to my posting habits know that I avoid politics like the plague. However, it seems like ever since Trump got elected every time I turn around there is another item of media just desperate to prove that women are pretty cool.

Well, no shit. I've figured that out some time ago.

I'd like to give the show a try, but don't want to drink from the feminazi fire hose if I can avoid it.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I'd like to give the show a try, but don't want to drink from the feminazi fire hose if I can avoid it.

Protagonist is a man, as well as his antagonists. Women are a big part of the story line but none are super heroins. Some strong willed, some not so much. As with a lot of westerns, gun play can get a bit hokey.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only complaint was the 95% female shootout at the end. A bit much but given the story line I guess it was ok.
It worth seeing for Daniels performance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd say it was... Good enough?
MUCH that I do not like in movies in general and westerns in particular, but plenty of good stuff and fine acting.

Worth watching.

Plus we get to see some Merwin & Hulbert action. Cool

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Could've been great.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Loved it, right up to the final shootout. The pause in the middle of it, the failure of people to continue the fight at various times was just infuriating. Not having the shlubs who couldn’t shoot loading spares for those who could... the rifle women on the roof should have anhialated the men sitting in the street below. They should have also been shooting from range long before the kid gets a knife to the chest. Ridiculous!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Loved it, right up to the final shootout. The pause in the middle of it, the failure of people to continue the fight at various times was just infuriating. Not having the shlubs who couldn’t shoot loading spares for those who could... the rifle women on the roof should have anhialated the men sitting in the street below. They should have also been shooting from range long before the kid gets a knife to the chest. Ridiculous!

There was definitely more than a few things missed on the shootout with regards to strategies/watching your back after the person next to you shot.

Everything after the funeral seemed draw out.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Would you say it stands on its own merits aside from the women centered plot line, or is it clearly an attempt to make women equal - again?
Those who pay attention to my posting habits know that I avoid politics like the plague.

Well. Since the entire storyline revolves around a town depleted of able men after the Mine shaft collapsed, I don't know. No politics here. It's more like a shitty small town in the west that lost most of their 18-40yr old men in a horrible accident and the town adjusts afterwards.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My only complaint was the 95% female shootout at the end. A bit much but given the story line I guess it was ok.

Well.... since the majority (perhaps 95%) of the town was left of females (hence the entire fucking story) made it seem somewhat ok?

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
I just finished episode 2 and its getting better

never seen Deadwood but Hell on Wheels is one of my all time favorites

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Update - I watched it.

Had to fast forward more often than lets me give it 5 out of 5 stars, but it definitely had good moments. It made me want to drink whisky and play Red Dead Redemption, so credit where it is due.

The last shootout was cringe worthy for most of it, but it is a western not a documentary so I'm compelled to cut them some slack for being entertainment. Besides, certain parts of it had me starting to get misty, so I must have gave a damn about the characters at least a little bit. Which says a lot these days.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else here as impressed as I am by Jeff Daniels’ acting abilities? I can’t recall him playing a villain previously and I’m thoroughly impressed by how well he pulls it off here. A thoroughly malevolent character, played in a very believable manner!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Is anyone else here as impressed as I am by Jeff Daniels’ acting abilities? I can’t recall him playing a villain previously and I’m thoroughly impressed by how well he pulls it off here. A thoroughly malevolent character, played in a very believable manner!

Definitely. Same actor that was Keanu's partner in Speed and in Dumb & Dumber. I thought he was an impressive villain.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Daniels was the only saving Grace in the entire thing. Well that and Alice's boob shot.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

Definitely. Same actor that was Keanu's partner in Speed and in Dumb & Dumber. I thought he was an impressive villain.

Yup - same here.

Took me about a full episode to realize it was him.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I thought it was good.
I did not see the whole feminist thing. The women did what they had to do to survive that is all. They (some) were saved by the men in the end. And of course the final gun battle is going to be awful it is a bunch of untrained women.
I was pretty bummed how Blackdom and Whitey went down so quickly.
I also did not like how Frank kept saying this is not how I go. That was kind of silly.

Makes me want a .50-95 Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Was entertaining, but the closing shoot out in town was one of the douchiest things I have ever seen.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Was entertaining, but the closing shoot out in town was one of the douchiest things I have ever seen.

Yeah it good and me and the wife liked it. I am with you about the big shoot out at the end.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post