SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "It's a hell of a thing...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"It's a hell of a thing... Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
....killing a man.

You take away all he's got and all he's every gonna have......

We all have it coming kid."

The best western ever made and there was not one good guy character in the movie...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by Blume9mm:
The best western ever made...

Should be proceeded by “IMO.” For whatever the reason, I love Westerns, I’m a fan of Clint Eastwood; never cared much for this movie.

Carry on.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man!

Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Duck....I says"

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
“Talking about The Queen again, Bob? On INDEPENDENCE DAY?!?”

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot, aint it?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"He's no carpenter"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Clyde, you have three pistols but you've only got one arm.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
would you like a free one?

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
"I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house." Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Shit and fried eggs.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You better bury Ned right!... Better not cut up, nor otherwise harm no whores... or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches."

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
"Who's the owner of this establishment?"

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Who's the owner of this shit hole?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The ongoing thread about the most American of movies- I think the question is unanswerable for a number of reasons, but if pressed for an answer, I'd have to say Unforgiven, and to be perfectly honest, I can't tell you exactly why.

I notice that in the film thread, someone said The Searchers, and I guess I say Unforgiven for essentially the same reasons.
The Western genre is certainly the most American of genres. The Searchers is a monumental film, certainly in the top ten of great American films, and from the greatest American director, the master, John Ford.

Eastwood's film is starkly realistic and it is has a melancholy and unsatisfying ending, but there's something alluring in its bleakness. And as Blume9mm indicated, the characters are not romanticized- none of them.

It seems appropriate that a film like Unforgiven would come along so late in the genre, well past the peak of postwar era. Once all the mythology of the West had played out and once all the romantic notions became trite, once all of that was stripped away, then we could get Unforgiven. It's not just a great Western. It's a great Western that came out at the right time.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...the characters are not romanticized- none of them.

There are no "good guys" in the film, just different shades of bad guys.
Every main character is an awful person in their own way.

Because of that and because it doesn't romanticize the west, there are those that argue, despite it's setting, characters and story line, that it's not a western. An interesting view point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
"You don't have to worry kid. I aint gonna kill you. You're the only friend I've got."

My favorite scene in the movie, and maybe in any movie is when Clint hears about Ned getting killed and takes that long pull on the whiskey bottle. You see the thin veneer of civilization falling away and the growing sense of terror as the kid realizes what a "bad man" really is. It's a beautifully shot and acted scene that doesn't need a bit of dialogue to get it's point across.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I will admit, I didn't enjoy it so much the first time I watched it (can't say why...I just didn't)...but after the second and third time...I loved it...I felt the same after the Cohen brother's remake of True Grit...now to me both are classics! Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I bought a dvd copy and loaned it, NIW and unopened to a friend, who watched it with his fucking girlfriend, whereupon they only watched it to the point where they shoot the cowboy that did the cutting, and the fucking girlfriend got bored with it. I nagged him for about a year straight to finish it, he never did. Never got my damn dvd back, either. That said, when he unloads the fucking girlfriend, he’ll have a good film he can watch once when he’s good and pissed off, and I’ll buy myself another in the meantime and not feel like it was wasted money.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It's been said the Unforgiven is not really a Western or is more of a non western in that it really does not follow the conventional themes of good guys and bad guys... that is what I got from the movie the first time I watched it... there were no good guys... every character in the movie was flawed.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post