SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Zach Snyder's Justice League (2021) - HBOMax
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zach Snyder's Justice League (2021) - HBOMax Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's on HBOMax meow...

4:3 aspect ratio, btw.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wait, wut?

4:3?

Is he going for some retro 1990s throwback thing?

Do I need to hit up Goodwill to try to find a CRT in order to fully experience his complete vision?

Or did they just figure they could save 25% on their effects budget by just chopping off 1/8 of the screen on either side?

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Wait, wut?

Do I need to hit up Goodwill to try to find a CRT in order to fully experience his complete vision?

Or did they just figure they could save 25% on their effects budget by just chopping off 1/8 of the screen on either side?

I read an article that the Snyder Cut was originally optimized for IMAX, which is closer to a 4:3 ratio. Although there are few, if any IMAX theaters currently open, they still did the film for that aspect ratio.

https://decider.com/2021/03/18...-boxes-aspect-ratio/

You’ll take it that way and like it. Zack Snyder has spoken!

https://www.theverge.com/2021/...ague-hbo-max-warning

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I watched it. I have to say it was quite a bit better and made a lot more sense than the 2017 version. The only thing I didn’t care for was the post-apocalypse scene added in the long epilogue. It added zero value and seems more added for a stunt cameo than for story reasons. From what I read, it wasn’t even in the original Snyder movie script, and only added specifically for this new cut because Snyder wanted a scene between Batman and Joker.

BTW, when did Amber Herd turn British? It’s been a while since I saw the Aquaman movie, and don’t remember if she did that fake English accent in that movie too.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, wut?

Ditto. They spent 70 million on reshoots to put it in 4:3? What the fuck was he thinking? After years of cries from fans (not me), from what I’ve read and you do this? I threw it on screen just to check, and sure enough. Fuck me, stupid. Nolan shoots in IMAX and at home it’s full screen and absolutely stunning in my theater. Any of his films. Why not do that instead?

I didn’t check if it’s Atmos, I should have before I powered everything down. If it’s 4:3 but Dolby Atmos, well then he’s hitting that weed or something. Fuck I was looking forward to this deal. 4 hours of CRT viewing? I don’t know man. I can probably an hour a day over the next week. Well I guess I have to wait on the new Dune to get excited about something now. What a let down. Months of no new films.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

BTW, when did Amber Herd turn British? It’s been a while since I saw the Aquaman movie, and don’t remember if she did that fake English accent in that movie too.

In Aquaman it’s her regular American, smashing Johnny Depp in the face with a frying pan voice. What a cluster

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
In chronological order, where is Aquaman in regards to Justice League? I thought it before JL, but she acts like she is just meeting him for the first time?

I took that Mad Max scene to be a set up for a sequel.

I'm not a huge DC fan (in fact, since all this multiverse crap started, I'm kinda 'meh' on anything except Deadpool) but this wasn't bad.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the Aquaman movie still comes after JL.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I watched the first half last night. I'll probably finish the second half today or tomorrow.

So far, it's improved over the initial cut. A bit darker, and noticeably more coherent. (Naturally, since it has twice the runtime in which to explain things and set things up.) They've changed the visual style of some of the characters.

The only real complaint so far is I'm not digging the music choices, specifically all the contemporary music with sung lyrics used in various scenes. It's like whoever scored the movie is wielding the music/lyrics like a sledgehammer with which they can bludgeon the viewer to get the point of the scene across. It's blunt to the point of distraction. I don't recall that being the case with the initial cut, but I may have just been overlooking it at that time because of the bigger problems with the rest of the movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I believe the Aquaman movie still comes after JL.

Yep. (Well, except for the prologue stuff with his Mom, and his childhood.)

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I didn’t check if it’s Atmos, I should have before I powered everything down. If it’s 4:3 but Dolby Atmos, well then he’s hitting that weed or something.

It's Atmos.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Holy Exposition, Batman!

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's Atmos.

Then that's the most puzzling bullshit from a director I have ever seen in my life. You cut it in 4:3 but throw Dolby Atmos soundtrack on it? Wow. No words.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Another thing that left me puzzled...how did Wonder Woman NOT grasp the significance of that arrow? I mean FFS, she was daughter of the queen? How could she not know about that cube and its significance! Half her peers probably pulled guard duty around the thing.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tom Holkenborg (JunkieXL, Dutch DJ / Producer / etc) did the soundtrack work. He did Fury Road, Deadpool, the famous Elvis remix from several years ago, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was hoping it would be available on iTunes, but it seems HBO has a lock on it--at least for the meantime.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I never understood in either version of the movie is how in the epilogue, Clark Kent just goes back to work. Don’t people at the Daily Planet, as well as others, think Clark is dead? How do they explain him coming back?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Weekend bender with his 12 best buds. Smile Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Turns out, Clark was on a spiritual journey to Tibet to find himself, after seeing all the death and destruction during the battle of Metropolis. He was just assumed to be dead.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Watched it with my 13yo, who is deep into this stuff. He’s been an admin for an internet form for a couple years that has been working on driving up support for the release.

Great big Meh for me. Not my cup of tea. I’d rather watch Lord of the Rings. Just wasted four hours of my life except he enjoyed the time spent together.

Seemed very superficial and disjointed.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

It's Atmos.

Then that's the most puzzling bullshit from a director I have ever seen in my life. You cut it in 4:3 but throw Dolby Atmos soundtrack on it? Wow. No words.

Or he doesn't want to do the retarded aspect ratio shit that Nolan would do swapping back and forth from 2.35:1 to IMAX 1.44:1.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
At 4:02:00, it's a slog to get through, but a much better movie than the 2017 Whedon version.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post