SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie remakes as good as the original.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie remakes as good as the original. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
titanic

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
True Grit and Thomas Crown Affair.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The second Virginian

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heaven Can Wait/Here Comes Mr. Jordan

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
titanic
That's not a remake. Confused

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Breaking Point, was a 1989 made for TV (early in the TNT network) remake of the 1964 film, 36 Hours. The remake was actually a little better than the original.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
titanic

There were quite a few 'Titanic Movies' over the years. Cameron's is simply the definitive version (due to the CGI and budget; the whole 'love story' aspect of it sucks).

The only remake I like (at all, much less one that I find better than the original) is the 1953 War of the Worlds. That was a remake from an earlier movie. The Tom Cruise version sucked.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Hopefully, no one mentions RED DAWN or POINT BREAK.

I didn't mind the Red Dawn remake, though it wasn't as good as the original. But I couldn't make it half an hour in the Point Break remake.....talk about a preachy enviro-terrorist bullshit movie.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I disagree on True Grit. I tried to watch it, but turned it off in less than 10 minutes. Unwatchable.

I like the new one better, overall.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Dredd with Karl Urban was far superior to the Sly version. The Robocop remake was close too, maybe not better, but on par.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
titanic

There were quite a few 'Titanic Movies' over the years. Cameron's is simply the definitive version (due to the CGI and budget; the whole 'love story' aspect of it sucks).
Yes, there are many movies about the Titanic sinking, but that does not mean each is a remake of the other.

Cameron's Titanic had a fictional plot that had not been done before.

Calling Cameron's Titanic a remake is like saying every movie about WWII is a remake of the others.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The Manchurian Candidate.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Hopefully, no one mentions RED DAWN or POINT BREAK.

Or Total Recall. What a disaster the remake was!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet.

Heat (1995)/LA Takedown (1989)

Another Michael Mann movie,
Last of the Mohicans (1992)/many other previous versions

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Night of the Living Dead. 1990.

Maybe even better than the original.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
As much as I liked MANHUNTER back in the 80's, I think Red Dragon was a better overall film.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The Mechanic

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man On Fire(2004) blew the original(1987) out of the water.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Maltese Falcon

The Thing

Scent of a Woman

True Lies

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2300 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post