SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Well I'm On The Downeaster Alexa"...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Well I'm On The Downeaster Alexa"... Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
This is one of my favorite songs that reminds me of being up north. I spent many summers out in Cape Cod bay with this song. Summer trips to the vinyard? In my youth...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
One of the very few good songs Billy Joel released after 1977.

I still think he should have retired after The Stranger.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
And I’m cruising through block island sound....

Hearing him tell the story behind the song live was great.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I went to three concerts in my lifetime and they were all Billy Joel.

All in Boston, River of Dreams was my favorite.

Ahh to be young..

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
One of the very few good songs Billy Joel released after 1977.

I still think he should have retired after The Stranger.

Huh?

Plenty of good songs from the guy after 1977!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
While the song is about a fictional person, it decries the plight of the Long Island Baymen (known locally as Bubbies). The Baymen represent a dying breed of people who, like small farmers, work with the environment to provide for their families, men and women forced out of their livelihoods by industrial "factory" overfishing destroying the traditional fishing grounds as well as the creep of urban society and government regulation.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
What he said in concert is he was inspired to finally write the song after a fisherman that, for years, would leave him various fresh seafood at the end of his dock, was killed at sea. The boat is of course named for his daughter. The Downeaster being the type of ship commonly known for the shape of its hull, and Alexa being his daughter.

I’ve seen him in concert many times and heard him tell that story before this song

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
While the song is about a fictional person, it decries the plight of the Long Island Baymen (known locally as Bubbies). The Baymen represent a dying breed of people who, like small farmers, work with the environment to provide for their families, men and women forced out of their livelihoods by industrial "factory" overfishing destroying the traditional fishing grounds as well as the creep of urban society and government regulation.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I was fishing out of Chatham, on the Cape in the late '70s and oddly enough have never heard this song before. Those were some boom years on the Cape, scllops an lobster were our cash crops. Sadly, not so much anymore. Lots of memories, many fond, some not so much. Thanks!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
My sister in law was his full time house keeper in Amagansett for a few years. Upon being hired, the cook advised her to whistle or sing while in the kitchen in the early morning, or else the Piano man might walk in naked.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I love this song.

I have some sort of weird connection to it being from ct on the sound and an avid fisherman.

More then a few times, I've had this song on repeat for hours.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the song, but first time I've ever seen the video.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I've always loved the song, but first time I've ever seen the video.

Same here. Great song...thanks for sharing the video!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post