SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Night Stalker (1972)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Night Stalker (1972) Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
Grew up walking the Night Stalker series. Kolchak's "stir the pot" persona was memorable. It's interesting that Darren was 49 and Carol Lynley was 29. Carl, you dawg. Wink

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I watched it as a kid. The precursor to The X-Files.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kolchak: The Night Stalker was a weekly staple growing up.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I watched it too...wasnt it on Friday nights? CBS?

Man that show scared the crap out of me as a youngster.

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Kolchak: The Night Stalker was a weekly staple growing up.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
I was TERRIFIED of the Rottweiler vampire dude!

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I watched it as a kid also and really enjoyed it. There are several books and book series written around Kolchak's universe- (the movie was based on Jeff Rice's novel).
Great characters-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Wow that brought back some memories. Wasn’t there also a show called “Night Gallery”? Seems like it had a different type story each episode.... similar to the Twilight Zone?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Campy series? Yep. Did I love it? Oh yeah!!

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It was terrifying, but not to be missed.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Wow that brought back some memories. Wasn’t there also a show called “Night Gallery”? Seems like it had a different type story each episode.... similar to the Twilight Zone?

There's a reason for that. Rod Serling hosted the program, and wrote many of the scripts. He considered it a logical extension of TZ.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That show used to scare the snot out of me.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah ,I watched it all the time, when there was someone else in the house.
Smile
Carl used to half piss me off when he put others in danger.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
That show used to scare the snot out of me.

me as well when I was a kid,

and I loved every minute of it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good show. It was a bit before my time so I watched many of the episodes in syndication. I was also inspired to watch several a few years ago. Some really hold up well...others fail hard. But all to be expected.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
As a child I watched a few episodes when it originally aired. My parents put a stop to it after about the third time I kept them up with my bad dreams. I didn’t catch the rest of the episodes until about ten years later when I got cable TV.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Excellent Series. RIP Darren McGavin he is still missed.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Night Stalker series was produced by the late Dan Curtis. He had quite an affinity for the horror genre, doing remakes of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Along with contemporary story-settings like The Norliss Tapes. Curtis had a knack for creating a sense of eeriness, and suspense in all the productions. The ABC television-series Dark Shadows exemplified it, centering on the gloomy; country estate of Collinwood. The haunting music, by Robert Cobert that he used; counterpointed the productions beautifully. The show was hit, and spawned two motion-pictures. I watched an interview with Curtis about the Night Stalker and he was more surprised, than anyone with the response to the premier. He added that Darren McGavin was the perfect-choice for the hapless reporter: Kolchak. Another aspect of the show was the great ensemble-acting by Carol Lynley, Elisha Cook, Jr., Simon Oakland, Ralph Meeker, Claude Akins, and Kent Smith. Barry Atwater as the 'vampire' gets 'honorable mention'. He played the part of Janos Skorzeny to-the-hilt, yet he never uttered a spoken-line. Having Kolchak do the first-persion narration was also brilliant, and it closes with him listening to his own narration on tape. Of course: he runs through a litany of reasons why his account is now 'impossible to prove', while the flash-back credits begin to roll. A real fun blast from the past.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eTripper,

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Ripper episode was pretty creepy. The headless motorcyclist was somewhat farcical..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved this show as a kid.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The show had lots of names you'll immediately recognize in one episode/one off roles. Tom Bosley, Erik Estrada, Scatman Crothers, Jackie Russell, Jim Backus, Carolyn Jones, Frank Campanella, Larry Storch, Jamie Farr, Dick Van Patten, Jan Murray, Bernie Kopell, Art Metrano, Dwayne Hickman, Pat Harrington Jr., Hans Conreid, Larry Linville, Cathy Lee Crosby, Tom Skerritt, Phil Silvers; to name a few.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post