SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watching M*A*S*H for the first time now - is it too dated?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watching M*A*S*H for the first time now - is it too dated? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
The show originally ran when I was a kid. I remember bits and pieces of it but I know I didn’t care for it back then due to my age.

I was just thinking about watching it for the first time now, but do you think it is too dated or too limited by the 70s television restrictions?

I know a lot here loved it when it originally aired. How well does it hold up today?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a classic and still holds up well. Of course, it takes place during the Korean War in the early 1950’s, so it won’t get “dated” by cultural references. Each episode is fairly self contained, so you don’t have to watch it from the beginning to get most of it, but some of the jokes reference earlier episodes and you might not get those. Watch and enjoy!

Posts: 177 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I do not think it will appear to dated.

There was a group of us that watched it every week. We even had a huge party for the final episode. As I recall, "What?" was the last word of the final episode.

You will see Klinger reference Packo's in Toledo.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I'm probably close to your age and I never liked it either. From what I gather it was good the first few years but once Alan Alda got some sort of creative control it went downhill.

A few months ago I ordered the complete Hogan's Heroes DVD set. Man, they used to crank out a lot of episodes! Of course there are only a few plot lines, but who cares. It's good clean fun!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I've seen it, and it hasn't aged too badly. The jokes about Klinger dressing as a woman to prove he's crazy are funny in the context of modern 'sexuality.' Back then, everybody knew a dude dressing in drag was crazy.

Oh, the laugh track is like fingernails on a blackboard. They seem to have the same 15 seconds of laughter they put on an endless loop. I'm sure many would not even notice the laugh track, but it's really unbearable to me.

I was too young (was a kid in the 70s) to figure out Alda's bad influence, but I've read about it. The Hawkeye character is a bit over-done and overbearing, but I never noticed as a child.

It had some really great episodes. Some were full of slap-stick comedy, and others were completely dead-pan serious. I also love Winchester's character. David Ogden Steirs was amazing, and his 'only sane man in a nuthouse' but was really good. I loved the episode where he gave chocolate to the village children.*

* It was a Winchester tradition; the father sold the chocolate on the black market, and Winchester confronted him about it. The father simply said "How could I give them desert when they haven't had dinner?" He sold the chocolate so he could feed his family for a month. It was good at showing the idiocy of Army bureaucracy and the waste of lives that often come in war.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well first of all, it will appear dated, it was set during the Korean War after all. Wink

The jokes they tell are still funny as are comedic routines found in a forward deployed unit (albeit a medical unit in this case).

Would recommend watching them in order though. Fun to see how the cast and stories writers bein to gel and, helps keep score for Hotlips vs. Hawkeye. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have the first three seasons on DVD. They are the best IMO.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the early seasons - the last two not so much - got really preachy

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
MASH is a great series. Col. Flag, Spear Chunker and Klinger?! What’s not to love?? Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
. . . it was set during the Korean War after all.

While set during the Korean War, the TV series M*A*S*H served as platform for anti Vietnam war sentiment with Alan Alda as the front man.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
MASH is a great series. Col. Flag, Spear Chunker and Klinger?! What’s not to love?? Big Grin

Alan Alda. They should post his photo alongside the definition of "smarmy." Cannot stand the man.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That is one of my all time favorite shows! True humor & true emotion in its finest form. I still watch when ever I'm around network TV, not very often, but I still watch.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This is one of those shows were we really can't say, we don't know you or where you are in life.

When I was a kid, through my twenties or more, I really enjoyed MASH. My father wouldn't watch it. He called it the "Alan Alda show" (and had many unkind words for Mike Farrel, a very outspoke Hollywood liberal for the time.)

Skip ahead 30+ years, my father, who doesn't watch a lot of TV, will watch it if it's put on. I on the other hand find it almost unbearable. I see/feel now what my father meant about the "Alan Alda show", I can't stand him or his character, it's sickening to me, which is too bad because I still enjoy everyone else's work on the show.

Why do I see now what I didn't see then? Why does my father not mind now? I dunno, must obviously be an age thing.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch it all the time. Hawkeye is too lib and preachy but, I can deal with it. I enjoy Col. Potter, Klinger, and Winchester. I do like them jacking with Burns.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

Alan Alda. They should post his photo alongside the definition of "smarmy." Cannot stand the man.

I agree. I liked the show when I was young. But I tried watching the series as an adult and Alan Alda annoyed the hell out of me after just a few episodes. I found it unwatchable.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Say what you like about Alda, but Potter (Harry Morgan) and especially Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) were great characters. The episode where Winchester counsels a soldier who was a concert pianist but lost the use of one hand was moving. In another, Winchester gave fancy candy to an orphanage, was pissed off when he found out they sold the candy on the black market, then was humbled when told they did it to buy badly needed real food, the only time he had ever done so.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I think Larry Linville played the part of Frank Burns so well it ruined his career.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We’ve watched the first 4 episodes. It reminds me of the show House a lot. The producers of that show must have watched a lot of Mash.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I still say things like "get on the horn to I Corps". I used to enjoy that show. Is it streaming somewhere?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the episode "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" had one of the largest TV audiences ever.

If you get sick of watching it, at least watch the last 30 minutes or so of "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" to see how it all ended.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post