SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watching M*A*S*H for the first time now - is it too dated?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watching M*A*S*H for the first time now - is it too dated? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I think Larry Linville played the part of Frank Burns so well it ruined his career.

I heard that as well on a documentary about the tv series.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I still say things like "get on the horn to I Corps". I used to enjoy that show. Is it streaming somewhere?

Hulu

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
MASH was one of those shows that started out as alot of fun and very entertaining. As it evolved it got (IMO) more political and of course the main characters were so enlightened and smarter than anyone else in the "establishment". I eventually dropped out of their viewing audience.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
start with the original movie and then watch the shows in order.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes he did. He use to come here to do summer stock and a friend of mine who also did some acting became good friends with him. He said he was really a nice guy and went into MASH knowing it would probably ruin his career.

quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I think Larry Linville played the part of Frank Burns so well it ruined his career.

I heard that as well on a documentary about the tv series.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Colonel Blake use to make comments about Bloomington, IL. That is where I have lived for the past 55 years an always enjoyed them.

I ran into him one night in a drug store. His father, who was a doctor, was ill and Mr. Stevenson was picking up a prescription. His first name was McLean, which is the name of this county.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Such a great show!!!~

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was a well done show.

It will have a '70s and '80s sensibility, but it holds up quite well.

Good characters and good actors. Well written.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The movie is a classic.... I think the TV show started out well but the last couple of seasons was way too political and plays to a certain audience.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Colonel Blake use to make comments about Bloomington, IL. That is where I have lived for the past 55 years an always enjoyed them.

I ran into him one night in a drug store. His father, who was a doctor, was ill and Mr. Stevenson was picking up a prescription. His first name was McLean, which is the name of this county.

Nice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Corporal Captain- "no sir, I don't like it all". Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you ever get the opportunity to read the novel; "Brandywine's War", is to M*A*S*H as "Make Room, Make Room, is to Soylent Green.

I absolutely loved that novel.

It was written by a couple of U.S. Army Warrant officers who served in 'nam.

FWIW regarding M*A*S*H.

Having served in the military, there was a lot of stuff that was good, a lot that was bad. Some I hope I never forget, and some I wish I would never remember.

So, the series was just like that, and I take it all as the package it is. Just like I take the entirety of my experience as the package it was.

And I hear and see things in M*A*S*H that others can never understand, expect for those who fully understand.

And I watch M*A*S*H alone.

Y'all are the first I have ever told that to.

RIP txpete.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I agree with every comment in this thread.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post